Started by Roland Henry Baker, III on Monday, December 21, 2015
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 7 posts
12/21/2015 at 10:30 AM

Contributor Clint Norwood’s biography on Richard Norwood:

http://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Norwood-31

Proposes that his son Francis Norwood born 1603 in Leckhampton Court married Judith Gates and had a son Francis who presumably is our immigrant.

“Francis, Esq., Named by Richardson. b. 1603, Leckhampton[9] Court, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, England. Richard's oldest son. Has children[5]md Judith Gates; their two sons, Capt. William Norwood and Francis Norwood are mentioned in the 1689 will of Henry Norwood [1] d. 1682”

Then you’ll see the note by contributor Richard Norwood scolding the others and he removed Thomas Norwood and Judith Gates as parents to Francis Norwood, Sr our immigrant. “I have removed Thomas Norwood and Judith Gates as parents of Francis Norwood, Sr., as there are no primary sources to confirm this couple as his parents. His parentage remains a mystery.”

http://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Norwood-316

Contributor Richard Norwood is one of the three Y DNA test takers who are direct male descendants of this Francis Norwood. He’s done a Y-111 STR test and is in haplogroup R1b-DF27 which is in R1b1a2. And his results confirm that these families are not related.

And I think Richard may have a point. We have several unrelated families and some researches want to show they have a common ancestor and they do not. At least seven different families in America descend from ancestor that took the name Norwood independently. But the genetic evidence proves that they are not descended from the same Norwood ancestor and the genealogy is incorrect.

Haplogroup I1 includes descendants of Theophilus Norwood b c 1690 of South Carolina.

Haplogroup E1b includes a member in Virginia. This matches one sample from Kent who is a “close” relative of G. Marion Norwood Callam, who authored Norwoods I, II, III. This family possibly originated from Roman solders from the Balkans.

Haplogroup R1b1a2 includes five separate unrelated lineages:

1) The Norwoods of Knoxville, TN and Capt John Norwood of Lincolnshire England b 1605, and Benjamin Norwood of MD.

2) The larger group Norwoods of Surry, Virginia who descend from Immigrant William Norwood

3) Descendants of the Norwood family of our immigrant Francis Norwood. Looking at his genetic data it is very possibly that he took on the name Norwood to hide his identity. That was one theory proposed by E. Poole. These data are based on three separate samples from descendants of his son Joshua (1683-1762).

4) The largest group of Norwoods of Maryland who descend from Captain John Norwood b 1605. This is an important group because they are genetically related to the current larger goup of Norwoods living in Kent, England.

5) The Norwoods of Bermuda and New Jersey via Richard Norwood b 1590

While the five lineages are all in R1b1a2 these families separated well over 1,000 years ago. They are not descended from the same family in Leckhampton.

What I conclude from this is Captain William Norwood who went to Surry, Virginia may be of this family but his brother Francis is not the same Francis who came to New England. Based on these data it would be impossible for them to have been close family.
There are two competing “paper trail” theories about the origin of Francis. The older of these is that Francis was the son of Judge Francis of England c 1600 - 1682 and his mother is probably unknown. This first source was E Poole born July 16, 1787 who wrote to his grandson about their ancestor Francis and he named his father as Judge Francis of England who was a regicide. He did not name a mother.
The second source is a book by G. Marion Norwood Callam written this century. She posits that Francis was son of Thomas of Leckhampton. However, that family where loyalists which doesn't make sense if his father was a regicide.
Familyseach has his parents as Francis and Judith Gator. But I searched for christening records and marriage records and found nothing.
One World Tree on Ancestry has Thomas Norwood and Judith Gator.
All of these “paper trail” theories assume that the family of Francis Norwood is closely related to the other Norwood families. And the DNA evidence clearly shows that this is not the case.

Here are some quotes from the two “paper trail” theories:

Quotes by Ebenezer Pool born July 16, 1787 that he wrote to his grandson:

"Judge Norwood was a Regicide. His son Francis Norwood was born in England 1640 or about, came to Gloucester, settled at Annisquam in 1663. He married Elisabeth, daughter of Clement Coldom Oct. 15 1663. He died March 4th 1709.

"Francis Norwood born in Essex Co., England about 1640 was the son of Judge Norwood one of the Regicides or advisors to put Charles I to death. He was imprisoned for life as supposed in 1660 and his large estate was confiscated. Large estates in London, Co. of Essex, England.

"Judge Francis Norwood of England was born about the year 1600. He owned a large estate located in Norwood Park. Soon after the settlement of Salem [1629], Massachusetts, a son of said Francis came here and for a time stopped in Salem, but settled in Lynn where he had a family. Francis Norwood a son of said M. Norwood born 1640 and grandson of old Francis of England took up his residence at Annisquam, Gloucester about 1662. He was married to Elizabeth Coldom of Lynn. She was the daughter of Clement Coldom of Lynn."
Sincerely,

"According to tradition, Francis Norwood, the first Norwood of New England, was the son of Judge (known of by the writer) Norwood. About 1660 the judge was accused by King Charles II on his coming into power of having encouraged many persons to impression [sic, probably imprison] King Charles I and even to his being put to death, for this, king Charles II about 1660 had the estate of Judge Norwood confiscated and he not allowed to leave certain proscribed limits. Soon after this, his son Francis Norwood, come to Salem, Mass. and in a year or more married a wife in Lynn, Mass. He with his wife come to Gloucester, Cape Ann, about 1663. All of the Norwoods of Cape Ann and Maine and elsewhere in New England are his descendants."

Notes of the work of G. Marion Norwood Callam:

G. Marion Norwood Callam, a genealogist in England, and author of three books on the Norwood family in England and America (The Norwoods I, II, III), has claimed that Francis was the son of a Captain Thomas Norwood of the Leckhampton Court branch of the family in Goucestershire, England. To date, no records have been discovered to verify this connection. In fact, because the Leckhampton Court family were staunch royalists and family stories indicate that Francis Norwood fled England to escape the recriminations of Charles II, the connection seems unlikely. Further reference in Ebenezer Pool's notes to Essex County cast additional doubt on the Leckhampton connection.

12/22/2015 at 1:05 AM

No Norwood regicide judges.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_regicides_of_Charles_I

You may also notice that the Regicide was 1660 ... Yet Francis Norwood is recorded in New England in 1657.

Dick Norwood speculated that the story is backwards

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/LONDON/1999-03/092142...

This may indicate that Judge Norwood's politics have been somehow
completely misconstrued, and he was actually a Royalist who sent his son out for fear of Cromwell's government. At the time of the Commonwealth, Royalists would probably have been in the minority in government service. Some evidence for this is that Francis Norwood never joined the Congregational church in Gloucester, Mass. where he settled; he showed tolerance of Quakers and atleast one of his children was a Quaker; and he was distrusted by the community, who regarded him as a witch/wizard.

-----

Gain a Royalist and a wizard? Sure you want this guy? :)

12/22/2015 at 9:34 PM

Disconnected Francis Norwood of Gloucester from Thomas Norwood & Mary Norwood & Judith Norwood as parents.

12/23/2015 at 9:59 AM

Those are some great finds. I'm going to copy over Dick's piece above in case it ever disappears:

Subject: NORWOOD, Judge; 1600-1660, London
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 10:17:36 EST

Our family has an old legend regarding the origins of our immigrant ancestor,
Francis NORWOOD. As of this writing, no one has been able to establish his
connection to any of the NORWOOD families of England.

The legend, passed down through the family to one of Francis NORWOOD's 2nd
great grandsons, is as follows:

A Judge Norwood "of England," was born about 1600 and was one of the judges in
King Charles I's reign. Taking an active part in politics and being in the
minority, his "large landed estate, located in Norwood Village, was
confiscated."

The story has it that this Judge Norwood owned land called Norwood Park,
variously described as in Essex Co., or in London, and that this land was
confiscated by the government after the Restoration, and a school--The Norwood
School--established by the government, supporting 600 scholars. By the mid
1800s, Francis's descendants spoke of this school as if it were then in
existence.

His politics were evidently anti-royal, and he has been described as a
regicide, or at least as an encourager of the execution of Charles I.
Implications are that he sent his son Francis to New England to escape
anticipated reprisals when Charles II resumed the throne.

There are many problems with the story. One is that Francis shows up in New
England in 1657, three years before the Restoration, and I'm not sure that
anyone was anticipating the return of the king that early. Could they have
been? This may indicate that Judge Norwood's politics have been somehow
completely misconstrued, and he was actually a Royalist who sent his son out
for fear of Cromwell's government. At the time of the Commonwealth, Royalists
would probably have been in the minority in government service. Some evidence
for this is that Francis Norwood never joined the Congregational church in
Gloucester, Mass. where he settled; he showed tolerance of Quakers and at
least one of his children was a Quaker; and he was distrusted by the
community, who regarded him as a witch/wizard. Despite his apparent
marginalization, he was one of the wealthiest men in the town at his death in
1709. Could the regicide legend have been concocted to protect the family
from the criticism of the Puritan community? Why didn't he go to Virginia?

Anyway, lots of questions. If anyone can direct me in my research, I'd be
very grateful. Where should we be looking now?

Regards,

Dick Norwood
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Estates/4805/tnfpexp.ht

12/23/2015 at 10:00 AM

And I'm going to need a new motto for my coat of arms :)

12/23/2015 at 10:06 AM

Also Dick has written a paper on the coat of arms that is incredible. He sent me a copy. He's not ready to publish it yet but I hope he does. It appears that is was Judith4 Norwood daughter of Jonathan2 Norwood (Francis2, Francis1) who first came up with the coat of arms before her marriage to David Plummer:
http://www.oocities.org/~rnorwood/hbrpg2.htm

Here is a piece I like because it talks about the formation of what would become Wood Hole's labs (yes I'm a science geek) in the Norwood homestead in Gloucester that was sold Alpheus Hyatt of Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute fame:

https://books.google.com/books?id=jUrTBwAAQBAJ&amp;pg=PA98&amp;lpg=...

Showing all 7 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion