Ruth Pratt (Stimson) - The various John Pratts - Weymouth, Watertown, and Kingston, RI

Started by Hatte Anne Blejer on Thursday, January 14, 2016
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 12 posts
1/14/2016 at 4:07 PM

Several users and curators are interested in the Pratt families. There were multiple Pratt families and they have been confused.

One Pratt family was in Weymouth and for them I found a decent source: https://mattocks2.wordpress.com/2008/05/10/genealogies-of-the-early...

Joseph Pratt, of Weymouth had a son John Pratt, of Weymouth who was born 17 May, 1668. He was NOT the husband of Ruth Stimson.

Thomas Pratt, of Watertown had a son John Pratt, of Watertown, birth date unknown circa 1668 also, who WAS the husband of Ruth Stimson.

John Pratt, son of Phineas Pratt of Plymouth, married Anna Barker. His son, John Pratt, of Kingston RI, married a woman named Anna. He did not marry Ruth Stimson.

The source for the last family is: http://aleph0.clarku.edu/~djoyce/gen/report/rr10/rr10_161.html#P85234

Please will the user(s) and curators interested discuss this. There was a lot of confusion among these families and I'd like to get it correct and ensure that it stays correct.

1/14/2016 at 4:10 PM

Dolores Wood has just created a new Pratt tree that needed to be merged in and that had some discrepancies from the sources I found, namely she had John Pratt, of Kingston, son of John, son of Phineas married to Ruth Stimson.

Erica Howton and Private User curate the two John Pratts, of Weymouth and Watertown. There were also issues with those profiles, both being married to Ruth Stimson.

Only ONE of the John Pratts was married to Ruth Stimson. They have been confused on the Internet, including all being given the same birth date.

1/14/2016 at 4:30 PM

Can you Link the John Pratt who was married to Ruth Stimson? If it's the one I curate I'll add to the curator note.

1/14/2016 at 4:39 PM
1/14/2016 at 4:39 PM

I believe it was John Pratt, of Framingham who was married to Ruth Stimson.

It was NOT either John Pratt, of Weymouth or John Pratt, of Kingston.

1/14/2016 at 4:40 PM

John Pratt, of Weymouth is the third John Pratt.

1/15/2016 at 1:38 AM

John Pratt, of Framingham is a bit of a slippery fellow in records. He was the son of Thomas Pratt & (perhaps) Susannah Gleason. He was born, according to the Millenium File, in 1665. And died either in 1713 or 1733. :). He married Ruth Stimson, daughter of James, so that part is solved.

And he's an ancestor of Sarah Palin.

I've detailed their profiles. He's missing profiles for 4 of his 7 children.

1/15/2016 at 7:06 AM

How did you figure out that he was an ancestor of Sarah Palin? I assume through looking for sources for him?

1/15/2016 at 7:43 AM

Yes, one of the sources I looked at mentioned it.

Sarah Palin, 9th Governor of Alaska is John Pratt, of Framingham's 8th great granddaughter.
http://www.geni.com/path/John-Pratt-of-Framingham+is+related+to+Sar...

1/16/2016 at 12:17 AM

My family may be descended of both John Pratt and his brother Samuel Pratt from different branches of our family. John Pratt, and his brother Samuel Pratt, sons of Phineas Pratt and Mary (Marra) Priest were born at Plymouth, MA.

"An article on John and Ebenezer Pratt of Oyster Bay LI [Long Island] NY by Rodney Macdonough (MD 3:1-8) identifies John Pratt of Kingstown, RI, [Road Island] and Long Island as the son of Phineas and Mary (Priest) Pratt. "

Eight children are listed. Among the "first 6 b. Plymouth," are "John Pratt b. ca. 1631" and his brother "Samuel Pratt b. ca. 1636." The "last 2 b. prob. Charlestown."

Several references are given pertaining to the Pratt family which can be found in Mayflower Families...Five Generations Of Degory Priest, Silver Ed. The sources given therein may be helpful to those researching the Pratt family. The quotes above were taken from the same source.

1/17/2016 at 1:42 AM

I no longer think that Ruth Stimson is in my family tree, but I an not ready to count her out until I can find some vital records to say who is in it. I have found that Samuel Pratt and John Pratt, sons of Phineas Pratt and Mary (Marra Priest), married sisters. John married Anna Pratt (born Barker) and Samuel Pratt married Mary Pratt (born Barker), though the surname of Mary's third husband, "Wood" is locked in. John and Samuel were both born in Plymouth, British Colonial America as were 6 of their siblings. Souse: Mayflower Society records.

1/20/2016 at 8:54 PM

I found another Pratt in my family tree, Giles Gordon Pratt, who married Cora Bell Dickinson. She was Ernie's 2x great aunt. Cora Bell Pratt (Dickinson) was born in Vermont, but her parents, Asahel Gunn Dickinson (Death) and Amanda O. Dickinson (Keet), were from MA. When Asahel died in VT. Amanda removed with her children, Cora Bell, Georgiana and Emma Jane to MA to live with Amanda's brother. Giles and Cora Bell probably met in MA.

Showing all 12 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion