Anne Stone (Rogers) - Parents of Anne Stone, wife of Deacon John Stone

Started by Hatte Anne Blejer on Wednesday, March 16, 2016
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 22 posts
3/16/2016 at 11:37 AM

I'm about to start looking for good sources to clean up the Howe and Rogers families. It appears that The Great Migration Begins has information.

The questions are:

1. When did Margaret Wells marry Barnaby Rogers? When did she marry John Howe? Or was she married to both these men?
2. Who do the children belong to?
3. Who are the parents of Anne Stone?

I have already seen conflicting information from several sources about Anne Stone's parents.

I'm posing these questions from the Discussions Tab so that we have a record of how the questions are answered. Once we find reliable sources and decide upon the answers, I will MP the profiles of the two (three?) families and lock fields and add more in the Overview and a Curator's Note.

I'll tag the other profiles involve in a separate post in this discussion.

3/16/2016 at 11:38 AM
3/16/2016 at 11:43 AM

Correction:

Margaret Wells is attached as wife to EDWARD Howe.

The dates of the births of the children and the dates of the marriages were problematic.

3/16/2016 at 11:46 AM
3/16/2016 at 12:01 PM

From The Great Migration Begins Vol II, 1013 - 1015, NEHGS, 1995:
* Origin: Boxted, Essex
* Migration: 1633
* First Residence: Watertown
* Birth: Baptized Boxted, Essex, 1 January 1687/8, son of Edward and Ann (Lumpkin) Howe
* Death: Watertown, 24 June 1644
* Marriage: Boxted, Essex, 16 August 1610 Margaret Wells, baptized there 31 May 1590, daughter of Richard Welles. She married (2) after 8 April 1647 (date of her will) as his second wife George Bunker and died before 18 December 1600 when her will was proved.
* Child:
Edward, bp. Boxted, Essex 20 December 1611; bur there 24 December 1611
* Associations: Edward Howe was elder brother of Mary (Howe) Treadway Stone, whose son and daughter Nathaniel Treadway and Anne (Treadway) Stone were early New England settlers [TAG 70:171-80]

3/16/2016 at 12:01 PM

So the Rogers, the Stones, and the Howes are a mess, in conclusion.

3/16/2016 at 12:08 PM

Furthermore, there are two Anne Stones, neither of them with the right parents:

Anne Stone

Anne Stone

3/16/2016 at 12:13 PM

Another nice exposition of the confusion, which also includes how Barnaby Rogers was involved. This will take some time to clean up.

http://www.genealogy.com/forum/surnames/topics/rogers/7855/

3/17/2016 at 10:16 AM

Another great project Hatte! Thanks for taking this on. I need to work on a speech I'm giving on Saturday so won't have a lot of time to help until later this weekend. As far as Howe - ignore what was written in the old works by Bond and Savage. They screwed up the genealogy badly which is the source of a lot of the confusion. It looks like you already have a copy of Anderson - great! You also need a copy of Dean Crawford Smith and and Melinde Lutz Sanborn FASG, The American Genealogist The English Origins of The Howe and Treadway Families Vol 70 (New Haven, CT: D. L. Jacobus, Jul 1995) p 171 - 180. PM me if you don't have access to it.

3/17/2016 at 12:01 PM

Actually you are going to need a copy of these updates as well:

Dean Crawford Smith and Melinde Lutz Sanborn TAG ADDENDUM TO "THE ENGLISH ORIGINS OF THE HOWE AND TREADWAY FAMILIES Vol 71 (New Haven, CT: D. L. Jacobus, Jul 1995) p 86

The Ancestry of Eva Belle Kempton, Part 1 (Boston: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 1996) p 451 - 452

3/17/2016 at 12:15 PM

This information is taken from these two articles:

Dean Crawford Smith and and Melinde Lutz Sanborn FASG, TAG The English Origins of The Howe and Treadway Families Vol 70 (New Haven, CT: D. L. Jacobus, Jul 1995) p 171 – 180

Dean Crawford Smith and Melinde Lutz Sanborn TAG ADDENDUM TO "THE ENGLISH ORIGINS OF THE HOWE AND TREADWAY FAMILIES Vol 71 (New Haven, CT: D. L. Jacobus, Jul 1995) p 86

The first thing we need to do is create a Richard Welles of Boxted and disconnect Robert Wells from Margaret:

Robert Wells

This family has no connection to the Welles of Warwicksire.

Richard Welles b say c 1660 Boxted, Essex England had three children:

1 Joan Wells bpt 3 Oct 1585 (no further record not mentioned in sister Margaret’s will)

3 Mary Wells bpt 8 Oct 1587 Boxted; married Boxted, 25 April 1610 Barnaby Rogers

3 Margaret Wells bpt 31 May 1590 Boxted – died before 18 Dec 1860 will proved; married 1st to Edward Howe on 16 Aug 1610 in Boxted, England. Widow Margaret married 2nd after 8 April 1647 in Watertown to George Bunker as his second wife. Edward Howe and Margaret had only one child: Edward Howe, bp. Boxted 26 Dec. 1611, bur. there, 29 Dec. 1611. They had no other children.

So right now I think we have Mary and Margaret mixed up as the same person. We need three separate daughters of Richard Welles. Note TAG shows Richard's surname as Welles and the daughters as Wells per parish records (if you are into surname accuracy).

3/17/2016 at 12:33 PM

Here's the rest of my summery of the two TAG articles:

William Howe (Birth 1524 Boxted, Essex, England - BEF MAY 1588 Boxted, Essex, England) married a first wife about 1548 in Langham, Essex, Englnad possibly Alice Aulfield. She was buried on 28 Aug 1560 in Boxted. They had four sons Willaim, George, Richard and Robert. He married second on 24 November 1560 in Boxted to Catherine Sheren / SHIRRIN (say 1540 Boxted, Essex, England - BEF 13 APR 1590 Boxted, Essex, England) and they had two children:

I) Allen Howe (Birth BEF 30 DEC. 1562 Boxted, Essex, England - Death 10 OCT 1563 Boxted, Essex, England)

II) EDWARD HOWE (Birth BEF 31 AUG 1561 Boxted, Essex, England - Death 22 FEB 1591 Boxted, Essex, England) married 1585 in 1585 ANN LUMPKIN (Birth 1564 Boxted, Essex, England - Death AFTER 1592 Boxted, Essex, England). And they had three children:

1) Edward Howe (Birth BEF 01 JAN 1587 Boxted, Essex, England - Death 24 JUN 1644 • Watertown, Middlesex, Massachusetts, USA) See above married Margaret Wells had one son who died young.

2) Mary Howe (Birth BEF 23 JAN 1591 Boxted, Essex, England - Death 1660 • Boxted, Essex, England) m. St. Botolph, Colchester, Essex, 23 Sept. 1614 NATHANIEL TREADWAY. Two children for certain:

a) Nathaniel Treadway (c 1614/5 England - Death 20 JUL 1689 Watertown, Middlesex, Massachusetts, USA) m Bef 10 May 1640 in Sudbury Sufferanna Haynes

b) Ann Treadway born about 1617 in England DID ***NOT*** MARRY Elder John Stone. It turns out Elder John Stone married Ann Rogers. Mary Rogers 1615 – 1719 dau of Barnaby Rogers and Mary Wells married Elder John Stone.

3) "a child of Edward Howes." Death BEF OCT 1589 Boxted, Essex, Eng

Does that make sense?

3/17/2016 at 12:41 PM

So all these children of Edward Howe and Margaret Wells need to be deleted except Edward who died young:

Edward Howe of Boxted and Watertown

3/17/2016 at 12:52 PM

Here's another one that needs fixing:

Mary Treadway

She m. St. Botolph, Colchester, Essex, 23 Sept. 1614 NATHANIEL TREADWAY (1585 - 1630) per Dean Crawford Smith and and Melinde Lutz Sanborn FASG, TAG The English Origins of The Howe and Treadway Families Vol 70 (New Haven, CT: D. L. Jacobus, Jul 1995) p 171 – 180

They had two children per above:

a) Nathaniel Treadway (c 1614/5 England - Death 20 JUL 1689 Watertown, Middlesex, Massachusetts, USA) m Bef 10 May 1640 in Sudbury Sufferanna Haynes

b) Ann Treadway born about 1617 in England DID ***NOT*** MARRY Elder John Stone. It turns out Elder John Stone married Ann Rogers. Mary Rogers 1615 – 1719 dau of Barnaby Rogers and Mary Wells married Elder John Stone.

3/17/2016 at 1:03 PM

Hatte Anne Blejer See notes above. So to answer your questions based on the latest two TAG articles above:

1. When did Margaret Wells marry Barnaby Rogers? When did she marry John Howe? Or was she married to both these men?

Margaret Wells did not marry Barnaby Rogers. Margaret Wells married 1st to Edward Howe on 16 Aug 1610 in Boxted, England. Margaret (Wells) Howe married 2nd after 8 April 1647 in Watertown to George Bunker. Barnaby Rogers instead married Boxted, 25 April 1610 to Mary Wells bpt 8 Oct 1587 Boxted. Mary and Margaret were sisters both daughers of Richard Welles of Boxted, Essex England (not Roger Wells as shown now).

2. Who do the children belong to?

Margaret Wells and Edward Howe only had one child Edward 1611 - 1611 died young.

Mary Wells and Barnaby Rogers died have a daughter named Anne Rogers c1615 - 1719 who married Elder John Stone c1618 - 1683.

3. Who are the parents of Anne Stone?

Anne (Rogers) Stone the wife of Elder John Stone was the daughter of Barnaby Rogers and Mary Wells (above).

Her identity was conflated in earlier articles hence the confusion.

I hope that answers your questions!

Cheers!

3/17/2016 at 4:53 PM

I subscribe to NEHGS so I think I can access most of the articles you cited. I'll let you know if there are any articles I need.

I am also not available until probably tomorrow afternoon. Well tonight I'm available, but exhausted and this mess up needs me to have a clear head.

I will plan to work on it on the weekend and I'll post with questions and comments here. Your great About contributions for the last little project were very help and if you want to contribute some for this, that would be appreciated.

I'll start by reviewing what the issues are and then work first on the fixes that are obvious and for which I have good sources such as Anderson.

That may get me a long way.

3/17/2016 at 4:56 PM

I see one discrepancy already. I think the implication in The Great Migration Begins profile for Edward Howe is that Anne Treadway daughter of Mary Howe Treadway (sister of Edward Howe) was the wife of John Stone. Or is this a DIFFERENT John Stone? Or is Anderson citing incorrect information?

3/17/2016 at 5:16 PM

That sounds good. My speech is on Saturday. I'm doing the battle of Rhode Island which will be fun. But I'll be available Sunday to work on this. But I'll check in.

Anderson is incorrect. He wrote that in 1995 when the first TAG article came out with the same error. In 1996 TAG published a correction. Anderson is also an editor of TAG so I'm sure he concurred. So the 1996 TAG update stated that Ann Treadway born about 1617 in England DID ***NOT*** MARRY Elder John Stone as previously thought. Instead they said it was Ann Rogers who married Elder John Stone. (Note above I said both Ann Rogers and Mary Rogers - I meant to say only Ann Rogers not Mary I just noticed that error). So the wife of Elder John Stone was Ann Rogers daughter of Barnaby Rogers and Mary Wells.

If you need dates and places, etc. please post here any questions and I'll check back. I have them all recorded.

Both TAG articles are on American Ancestry. But the boil down notes above include the essence of what they have to say.

3/17/2016 at 5:26 PM

This will be easier for you Hatte Anne Blejer:

Here is a direct link to the 1995 10 page TAG article:

http://www.americanancestors.org/databases/american-genealogist-the...

And here is the 1 paragraph TAG 1996 correction stating that Ann Rogers (not Ann Treadway) married Elder John Stone:

http://www.americanancestors.org/databases/american-genealogist-the...

3/17/2016 at 8:21 PM

Okay, that clears that up. Thank you and good luck with your speech.

3/21/2016 at 11:09 AM

I worked on these families this weekend. I believe I completed most of the necessary changes, but if you have time, please look over the Roxbury family.

I have some questions about the other two families from Virginia, but I did find sources for them.

Showing all 22 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion