Rev John Fisher - Father of john fisher

Started by jonathan turner on Saturday, May 21, 2016
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 18 posts
5/21/2016 at 1:38 AM

John fisher of nether storey, son of Tristram was born in 1696.... Think john's father may have been richard fisher according to university records

Private User
5/21/2016 at 2:09 AM

I agree, Rev John Fisher, recorded as born in 1713, is unlikely to have a father born in 1696. So Tristram was probably not his father. I was always uncertain about this attribution.

Can you provide me with more detail about the university records suggesting that his father was actually Richard Fisher? Which university, which college?

Thanks for your interest!
Regards, Bob Turner

Private User
5/21/2016 at 8:45 AM

We have two irreconcilable accounts here, and apparently two different John Fishers.

John Fisher the son of Tristram Fisher was baptized at Nether Stowey, Somerset in 1696.

The other John Fisher (parentage unknown) was baptized at Milton, Berkshire in 1713.

Rt. Rev. John Fisher m. Dorothea Scrivener etc etc etc was born in 1748 at Hampton.

So who's his daddy?

And who's wrong, the Constable letters https://books.google.com/books?id=CYmr0L-v7IcC&pg=PA1&lpg=P...

or

https://archive.org/stream/visitationofengl32howa#page/32/mode/2up ?

Private User
5/21/2016 at 8:59 AM

A page of John Fishers from Alumni Oxonienses for the relevant period (Google Books: link may go bad without warning): https://books.google.com/books?id=nf2L1j0dH4sC&pg=PA464&lpg...

Note: to "matriculate" means to enroll, *not* graduate. It seems John son of Tristram of Somerset duly got his BA in 1721 and went...where? John son of Rev. John of Berkshire did graduate studies and got an MA in 1739.

Private User
5/21/2016 at 1:16 PM

It would be nice to discover the parentage of the earlier Rev John Fisher, who is well documented in the list of Anglican clergy as ordained in 1704 (http://db.theclergydatabase.org.uk/jsp/persons/index.jsp.), and became Rector of Milton, Berkshire the same year. His given birth date of 1681 is quite consistent with this. It seems that Tristram Fisher is really a red herring (so to speak).

Private User
5/21/2016 at 5:37 PM

I think he's in the earlier volume of Alumni Oxonienses (1500-1714).

This looks promising:
Fisher, John s. Ric., of London, pleb. University Coll., matric. 1 July, 1698, aged 15, B.A. 1702; M.A. from St. Mary Hall 22 March, 1704-5; one of these names rector of Milton, Berks, 1704, etc. See Foster's Index Eccl.
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/alumni-oxon/1500-1714/pp480-509

5/25/2016 at 2:13 AM

My wife is descendant of John Fisher Archdeacon of Salisbury, nephew of John Fisher Bishop of Salisbury, Son of John fisher of ?. See my trees on Ancestry if you have access. The family tree says original Fisher was from Nether Stowey, but this is unlikely to be right. John Fisher died in Calbourne and his memorial tablet places his birth as 1713 which makes him consistent with being born in Milton, and we have his birth and parents confirmed. We still dont know but there is a belief that his father john was son of Richard of London. So Stowey connection is a red herring (Bishop John did pass through as Vicar there later which may have confused things!). Grateful for any further digger/evidence. Interesting thing is that John of Milton (son) ended up in Hampton, married a Huguenot heiress, and got the patronage of Bishop thomas of Peterborough, and this is how his eldest son was then fasttracked through clerical life to become chaplain to the king - the King's Fisher, and patron of Constable!

Private User
5/25/2016 at 3:02 AM

Thanks, Maven--I'm pretty sure that you have hit the nail on the head. The husband of my now-deceased sister-in-law is a direct descendant of these Fisher ancestors, via Rev Philip Fisher, another of the sons of John Fisher, Rector of Calbourne, and the historian Herbert William Fisher. Quite an illustrious family, all in all., with branches extending to William Wordsworth, Charles Darwin and William Makepeace Thackeray.

Private User
5/25/2016 at 6:50 AM

Jonathan, there's always the chance that there was a connection a few generations back. People didn't move around as much as they do now, but occasionally somebody pulled up stakes and tried a different part of the country - sometimes because they married somebody from there, sometimes because they inherited or were granted some property there, sometimes just because.

5/25/2016 at 10:38 AM

John Fisher senior applied for a marriage licence in 1704, his stated age suggests birth of 1678... which would call education & parentage of Richard, into question... CED says he has an MA but not from where he gained it... there arent any other John Fishers at Oxford or Cambridge, who fit these dates...

5/25/2016 at 10:43 AM

Robert can you identify your sister in law's husband... he may be related to my wife! She is decended from Philip via Rev Osmond Fisher ... son was Edward who went to Jersey, then Budleigh where he had a daoughter Ruth Fisher, my wife's grandmother...Janet Fraser

Private User
5/25/2016 at 1:23 PM

Jonathan, bear in mind there are a slew of John Fishers - might even be another one (or more!) in the same town.

I'm having a rather annoying time with some Fishers in Northampton/Accomack who keep getting all tangled up because there are so many of them and they reuse the same names so often. :-p

Private User
6/3/2016 at 3:30 AM

Jonathan, In response to your message of 25th May, it would be best if I told my sister-in-law's husband personally that you would like to be in touch with him. I'm pretty confident that your wife and he are related, but he's quite a private man and I think he would not like to contacted directly. If he agrees, I could link you up.

I think Richard Fisher's (father of Rev John Fisher, b 1683) parentage will be hard to track down by internet-available sources.

1/31/2017 at 10:44 AM

@johnathan turner Hi Jonathan. I am writing a book about Constable and Archdeacon Fisher. I have been trying to trace living relatives of Archdeacon Fisher for some time. Your mention of Edward is interesting. Edward, I think, may have been the family member who gave a lot of drawings to Exeter Museum. I look forward to receiving your reply. I have an email address tho' am not sure whether it is allowed to put such on this 'thread'. This is the first time I've used it. Kind Regards, James.

11/18/2020 at 4:08 PM

HiJames - sorry I missed this - if you would still like to connect... we have some papers, tho more from John’s children’s generation.

11/18/2020 at 4:24 PM

Having revisited the sources I think we can be sure that rev john fisher of cslbourne was born in milton in 1723 son of Rev john fisher who was MA and aged c26 at time of marriage in 1704, so born in 1678. John fisher MA of St Mary’s Oxford finished studies in 1702 which fits with his marriage and arrival in Milton. However the matriculation date suggests birth was 1683, 5 years later than marriage doc, so can’t be sure it’s the same person. The CED also shows his patron to have been William Fisher - surely no coincidence... (papers we have show Archdeacon Fisher was aware of this, but I think his early death meant the info was lost). Now looking for William Fishers in the Berkshire area!

11/19/2020 at 10:28 PM

Found Fisher family in nearby Childrey in visitation but no William... any suggestions welcome!

11/20/2020 at 5:13 AM

@Rev. John Fisher -Father of john fisher In family papers have discovered a search for Archdeacon Fisher in 1820 which examined teh Bishops Book for the parish appointment. It records that John Fisher was presented by William Fisher of St Andrew Holburn, arms included. There are no references to William Fisher in CCED, or on the church history sites. The fact that arms are shown suggests a high born family, but the arms depicted are not shown in the 3 fisher families recorded in the 1633 -5 visitation of london. Very frustrating as the presentation does suggest a family link between william and john fisher!

Showing all 18 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion