Captain Philip King - Children of Philip King and Judith Whitman

Started by Hatte Anne Blejer on Sunday, June 5, 2016
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 26 posts
6/5/2016 at 9:45 PM

I need help verifying the children of Philip King and Judith Whitman. There do not seem to be reputable sources for some of them. Most sources say there were SEVEN children, and only one son.

Josiah and Elijah are not authentic. They were added to Geni by Abraham Lincoln!

I'm not sure about Hannah (married Jonathan Paddelford) or Johanna (married John Alger).

These seven seem to be the only children verified.

Mary, — married John Leonard
Esther, — married Stephen Williams
Lydia, — married Nathaniel Williams and John Macomber
Abigail, — married Jonathan Paddelford
Elizabeth, — married John Hall and Samuel Richmond (Thomas Rogers Society only lists Samuel Richmond)
Experience, — married Nicholas White
John -- married Alice Dean

6/5/2016 at 9:53 PM

Either Hannah or Abigail married Jonathon Paddelford, or both. I think they are both mentioned in their father's will.

I have been trying to find a non-pay copy of Philip King's will.

6/5/2016 at 9:54 PM

Josiah King - I disconnected him.

Elijah King - I disconnected him.

6/6/2016 at 2:20 PM

This is the best we will do I believe

http://gatewayfirstfouryears.com/files/Barnes-King-Families-of-Chen...

Philip King (2), John (1) of Weymouth, Mass.

b. near 1645 at Weymouth, Mass. Lived at Braintree and Taunton in 1680. d. Dec. 26, 1710 at Taunton (Raynham). His will made in 1706

m. ante 1671 JUDITH WHITMAN (WHITEMAN) (2) daughter of JOHN WHI'IMAN (1) 1603-1692, and his wife RutH REED from England to Dorchester, Mass.1635; freeman; 1639; removed to Weymouth about 1641; Ensign Military Co., 1645; appointed by Gen. Court to "sne small causes", Philip and Judith sell land, in Weymouth, March 1st 1672-73; (Suffolk Deeds 8: 210-11) He was a member of a committee at Weymouth Nov. 27, 1682. He soon removed ·to Taunton. (Hist. of Weymouth v. 3, pp. 352-53). He is called the brother of THOMAS KING of Scituate, Mass. who came from Cold Norton, County Essex, England (E. E. Pierce Papers, Ne'" Bedford, Mass. )

Children: Seven; Mary, Elizabeth, Experience, Hannah, Lydia, Judith, John. Although several were probably born in Weymouth their record has not been found, however, in a bound copy of the Taunton, Mass. Evening News of July 20, 1899 found in the Newberry Library, Chicago, Ill. the names of these children are given. There is also a copy of his will dated 1706 in which they are named.

1..Mary King· (3) b..May 18, 1668; d. Feb. 6, 1769 m. JOHN LEONARD of Taunton

2. Elizabeth King (3) m. Dec. 16, 1696 JOHN (HOHN) HALL of Taunton; 3 children

3. Experience K.ing (3) m. June 2, 1703 NICHOLAS WHITE of Taunton; · 9 children

4. Hannah King (3) b. 1671 at Taunton; d. 1725

m. ante 1706 JONATHAN PADELFORD Jr. (3) b. 1679 son of JONATHAN PADELFORD (2) b. 1656, of Braintree and Taunton. and his wife HANAH THAYER, daughter
of THOMAS THAYER of Thornbury, County Gloucester, England and of Boston and Braintree, Mass. For the records of Padelford family and their wiives, MARGERY WHEELER, MARY BLANDFORD, daughter of JOHN BIANDFORD of Sutton, Mansfield, County Wilts, England and of Sudbury, Mass. see ("The Abridged Compendium of American Genealogy - First Families of America" by F. A. Virkus &Co. V. III page 195)

Children: Ten - one of which was JUDITH PADELFORD (4) who m. DAVID ALDEN
(4), JOHN ALDEN (3), JOSEPH (2), JOHN (1) tbe 7th signer of the Mayflower Compact.

5. Lydia King (3) 1st. m. Jan. 9, 1709-10, NATHANIEL WILLIAMS JR. 2nd m. JOHN MACOMBER

6. Judith King (3) 1st m. Jan. 1712-13 EBENEZER WILLIAMS of Taunton married 2nd Col. EBENEZER ROBINSON

7. John King (3) b. about 1681

6/6/2016 at 2:21 PM
6/6/2016 at 3:10 PM

Several issues.

Abigail Paddelford, daughter of Hannah King, married John Macomber born 1719 so I think the above saying that Lydia King married a John Macomber as her second husband might be in error.

I will also be checking on Elizabeth King's two marriages.

I have disconnected Elijah, Josiah, and Johanna who were added by "Abraham Lincoln" a claimed historical profile anyway!!! Johanna married in Swansea and not in Taunton which is further indication that someone mixed her up incorrectly with the Taunton family.

I have deleted the profile for Abigail King as well as detached the profile from Jonathan Paddelford and Philip King and Judith Whitman. I had merged her with Hannah and the Abigail profile was added by me. Since I was the sole manager and she was not married to Jonathan Paddelford, I could delete her.

Johanna, wife of John Alger, is a real person, whoever her parents are.

Sources agree that there were 7 children, one son.

6/6/2016 at 4:47 PM

Here is the link for findagrave on Johanna King.
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=58662013&...

6/6/2016 at 5:16 PM

The first link is incorrect about Lydia's husband by the way. It says Nathaniel Rogers versus Nathaniel Williams. Her husband, Nathaniel Willliams, was the son of Nathaniel Williams and Elizabeth Rogers so that explains the error. Nathaniel and Lydia are my 6th great grandparents so I'm very clear on sources for them :)

We need to see Philip King's will. The question is whether Abigail is listed in the will and whether she existed or not. We know for certain I believe that Hannah existed and was the mother of many or all of Jonathan Paddleford's children.

6/6/2016 at 5:29 PM

From the Thomas Rogers Society and answers the question about Elizabeth King's husbands nicely.

http://www.thomasrogerssociety.com/Richmond.pdf

SAMUEL RICHMOND3 (John2, John1) was born in Taunton, September 3, 1668.

He married, first, December 20, 1694, Mehitable Andrews, daughter of Henry and Mary Andrews; and second, Elizabeth (King) Hall, widow of John Hall, and daughter of Philip and Judith (Whitman) King. He died in 1736, and she, June 16, 1757.The first two children were born in Taunton and the others in Middleboro. A deed, dated March 10, 1700-1, describes him as of Middleboro. .

His will, dated June 11, 1736, probated July 20, 1736 (Vol.8, p. 375), names wife Elizabeth; sons Thomas, Silas, Samuel and Oliver; daughters Hannah Booth, “Lidiah” Thomas and Mehitable Lawton; and “cousin” (nephew) Joseph Richmond, to assist executors.

Widow Elizabeth, acknowledging the deed at Raynham, releases to Thomas, August 5, 1736; John King and Joseph Richmond, witnesses.

6/6/2016 at 5:46 PM

Although there's a wrinkle here too since sources also say that John Hall died in 1768 whereas most sources are explicit that Elizabeth Hall (King), widow of John Hall married Samuel Richmond AFTER June 17, 1708, which makes me think that was John Hall's date of death.

Any sources that confirm when John Hall died would be good.

6/6/2016 at 6:09 PM

Okay, so far the http://gatewayfirstfouryears.com/files/Barnes-King-Families-of-Chen... i checking out perfectly.

Lydia King did marry (1) Nathaniel Williams and (2) John Macomber.

Elizabeth King did marry (1) John Hall and (2) Samuel Richmond. She likely had 3 children by her first husband and 2 by her second.

6/6/2016 at 6:10 PM

Yes, I saw that. I have her husband as Nathaniel Williams. I am curious about Abigail as well. Not much information other than the link I posted

6/6/2016 at 6:26 PM

I have the wills of Nathaniel Williams and his son Nathaniel and all the files of the estate that prove conclusively that Lydia was Lydia Macomber.

Here is the link. GREAT reading, especially for me since I'm a descendant of Nathaniel and Lydia (my 6th great grandparents) via their son Nathaniel Williams and his wife Mary Atherton (my 5th great grandparents).

https://books.google.com/books?id=QhtEAQAAMAAJ&pg=RA1-PA1&d...

6/6/2016 at 8:42 PM

Thanks. Will read. John and Elizabeth Hall are my great grandparents. Their daughter Judith married into the Tisdales.

6/6/2016 at 10:06 PM

We're cousins then since Elizabeth was Lydia's sister :)

6/7/2016 at 7:31 AM

Yes. 8th once removed. (:

6/7/2016 at 8:05 AM

I may have found the answer to another question. Johnathan Padelford 1704-1763, was the son of Johnathan and Hannah King, not Abigail. So you may be correct. There may not have been an Abigail King as once shown. At this point I am removing her on my other tree unless some documentation other than other's trees is found.

6/7/2016 at 1:56 PM

What I do is go Google and Google Books and see how many places a person appears and if they appear in any reliable sites. Abigail King failed to pass that test for me. Josiah and Elijah were even worse!

I'm still uncertain without see Philip King's will however, but we can add her in if she shows up in the will.

I'm quite certain about Johanna, Elijah, and Josiah :)

You and another person really pushed me and helped me to clean up this family. Thank you so much.

6/7/2016 at 4:35 PM

I deleted Josiah and Elijah as well since I have found no proof but not Johanna. Both Global and US find a grave list Phillip and Judith as her parents as well as the family collection data records. She is also listed in the AGBI but I have not been able to view it yet. Marriage records do show that she married John Alger. Still looking to see for sure that she was their daughter.

6/7/2016 at 11:11 PM

As I said, on Geni she was added by "Abraham Lincoln" and she married in Swansea and not Taunton and adding her pushes the children to 8, not 7. And of course Find A Grave is inconsistent in quality and this is a hard family too.

6/8/2016 at 5:29 AM

I guess that's another one in question. Mass. Marriages shows this:

Johanah King

Spouse
John Alger

Marriage Date
9 Apr 1702

City
Taunton

County
Bristol

Source
Family History Library, Salt Lake City, UT, Film # 0899100.

Household Members

Name

John Alger
Johanah King

6/8/2016 at 7:09 AM

http://ma-vitalrecords.org/MA/Bristol/Taunton/Images/Taunton_M017.s...

That's correct. But of course King is a common surname and by this time there were several King families at least.

Showing all 26 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion