Participants:

• Private
    Geni member
  • Private User
    Geni member

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 3 posts

Yad Vashem lists an Emanuel Mano Haasz, born 1870 in Budapest, perished in Auschwitz in 1944, father Laszlo.

Is this the person about whom you are inquiring?

There is a Page of Testimony by a nephew; I do not read Hevrit.

Oliver Bryk

Hi Oliver, my husband, his parents, and paternal grandparents, and his aunt Regina Haas Schallamach and her family , and his 2nd cousin Ruth Haasz, all escaped from Germany to Shanghai, China. Henry was 15 months old when they arrived in China. He was cared for daily by his grandparents Sam and Selma Haasz. They left Shanghai for the US in the spring of 1947. My mother-in-law Gerda Buchheim Haas (they all took the z off the surname) was extremely close to her father and mother-in-law. Samuel Haas and his three siblings were all born in Magyarsok, Slovakia (now Selice, Slovakia). Samuel's father was Yitzrak Haasz born in Nyitra and his mother was Regina Adler born in Magyarsok. They had a small grocery store there. Henry and I have been in Budapest, the village of Selice, and Nyitra. What did happen was that Mano became a teacher in Nyitra and at some point he moved to Budapest to work, while Samuel and Moricz moved to Berlin to work, in 1899. Fanni was married to rabbi Moishe Ehrenthal. They loved in Sala nad Vahom. You can go crazy researching Haasz names, as it is a very common Jewish and non- Jewish surname there.
What we do know is that Mano had two sons not born in Budapest, whom Gerda met in Budapest on her honeymoon. We have their photo. There was Imre and Laszlo. It was Gerda's memory that one of the boys survived. I have, in Samuel's handwriting in Hebrew the yahrzeit for Mano but not the year.
We know that Herbert, who was religious, went to Enschede in Holland to a hachshara, with the plan of going with all the orphans to Israel. There he met Eva Zimmer and they fell in love. When the Nazis moved in, they hid but were eventually betrayed and taken along with others to Westerbork. It was while in Westerbork that rabbi Mueller married them. Eventually, when Herbert was picked for a transport but not Eva, that she said she wanted to go with him.

Mano Haasz died May 28, 1942 in Budapest of old age. The death record is correct, listing his father as Yitzak Haasz and his mother as Regina Adler Haasz.

Showing all 3 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion