Please DON'T merge in unsourced duplicate profiles on the Medieval tree.

Started by Sharon Doubell on Wednesday, July 20, 2016
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 11 posts
7/20/2016 at 5:08 AM

Please DON'T merge in unsourced duplicate profiles on the Medieval tree. It inevitably creates days of work to merge in the rest of line & try to research and fix the inevitable Tree Conflicts resulting up & down the line. It also leaves the relatively well established Geni Medieval Tree in a permanent state of embarrassing chaos.

Rather attach to this project: https://www.geni.com/projects/Medieval-Tree-Clean-Up-Unsourced-Dupl... any unsourced duplicate profiles, & the Medieval Curators will remove them before they get merged into the tree. This applies especially to duplicates created in the past year.

7/20/2016 at 5:58 AM

Remove as in "delete profiles"? Do you do this before or after telling the offending duplicator that you'll do it?

Should we adopt this for Scandinavian Sagas too, Alex Moes?

7/20/2016 at 6:35 AM

I do not feel responsibility for duplicators this high up in the established historical tree. If the profile is sourced, I will spend time with the manager. If it's unsourced, and created this year - I won't put more time into it that it took to create it.

I tend not to delete because they will just get added back. I cut all its relationship ties, so it floats away from the world tree. This way, if it gets merged in, it doesn't create Tree Conflicts.

7/20/2016 at 7:03 AM

Harald, I am not sure at this point how i feel.

If the duplicate is an obvious match for an existing profile then how is disconnecting it easier/faster/neater than just merging it in?

Conversely if it is not a match for an existing profile surely it needs some consideration before either deleting or merging, again i am not sure where the benefit of creating a floater comes from.

Having said that the last time I got on a camel it gave me a dirty look, i am pretty sure it was thinking "how come everyone else gets to carry a little kid around and i get this big lump sitting on my back!".

I don't really like deleting profiles, i'd rather smerge than delete unless the manager is a fake profile. I think When we get relationship locking this issue with duplicates will need more focus on why the duplicates get made rather than how to get rid of them. Especially frustrating when cleaning particular section is to discover dupes being made at the very same time! Obviously i should just work faster :)

7/20/2016 at 7:07 AM

I suppose I did a similar thing with Odin's family when i was disconnecting odd profiles or wrong ones and tagging them in a Discussion so that I could come back to them later.

I think it was Arnfred at the time who said i should have used a Project to link the profiles?

7/20/2016 at 7:30 AM

A very interesting discussion.

I have posted in the curator site, on the subject.

Well worth working through.

7/20/2016 at 8:29 AM

Thanks Anne. Better there. I've answered.

7/20/2016 at 8:43 AM

Request management is there for a reason, and the tree has a warning device to alert you when you're making duplicates. If you nevertheless continue to do it, surely you are responsible at some stage?

7/20/2016 at 9:30 AM

Cutting relationship connections means that the profile can be merged in without creating Tree Conflicts. As Alex points out, this is more work than deleting it, & more work than it took it create the duplicate to start with, but I am a believer in putting in the effort, if it reduces the overall work input. Which it does, if we get enough people aware and watching to catch and isolate the first profile merge in before the line gets merged in - causing exponentially increasing merge in and tree conflict fixes this high up in the tree.

Exactly what you did when cleaning Odin's tree, Alex, is what this project is about.

3/7/2019 at 11:28 AM

France 1000
Someone who has forsaken, had written in 2011:
[dirty clone 2007] Grimolt( Grimould) de Plessis (not listed in that family, in fact there is a son in more)
[line MP 2008] Grimoult du Plessis

3/7/2019 at 11:34 PM

This is an old dead Discussion - Please post Duplicates to this active Discussion tohttps://www.geni.com/discussions/158450?msg=1282337 to avoid running duplicated Duplicate discussions.

Showing all 11 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion