R' Elimelech of Lizhensk - Wife of R' Elimelech's descendant - assistance needed

Started by Peter Absolon on Sunday, July 31, 2016
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing all 9 posts
7/31/2016 at 12:01 AM

Hello folks,

I found the following tombstone at Kosice (Slovakia) cemetery. I'm trying to figure out the surname of the deceased person, as I'm trying to document the cemetery in full.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p0n2bphd3putbxi/IV-06-07-xxx-Tova.jpg?dl=0

My Hebrew is quite limited so I'm kindly asking for your assistance. From what I read, I see that Taba was wife of Moshe Eliahu, who was grandson (?) of Elimelech from Lizensk.

Would you be able to locate her in your tree?

Thanks
Peter

Private User
7/31/2016 at 1:47 AM

It would be easier if you can mention Moshe Eliahu's father., AS grandson he can eventually be from any son od Elimelech. ,Usually all the names are repeated in honor of a grandfather, uncle, gerat grandfather etc.
Besides my relation to Elimelech of Lizhensk is through his sister Chava. The curator is Malca Mysels, Ypu wll find her in the Rabbi' Elimelech? Tree, she might have more information.

On the other hand there was partially a problem some people in order to get pedigree (Iches)chnges facts, In this case they have tried ti use the name of the Mother as his family name, Weisblum instead of Lipman. Pay good attention!.

7/31/2016 at 2:43 AM

shalom,
i looked at all the grandchildren of the noam elimelech z"l and do not find any name resembling moshe eliyahu or wife tava.
where did you get the information that moshe eliyahu was a grandson of the n.e.?
yours,
shlomo

7/31/2016 at 6:56 AM

Shalom,

perhaps I misunderstood the writing on the stone, I don't know.
If you check the picture I linked on Dropbox, what does the 2nd line say?
(the 1st line is "wife of... Moshe Eli' z"l ")

8/1/2016 at 7:55 AM

Looking through the family tree, there are some Moshe Eliyahu's.

The first one is seemingly a great grandson of the Noam Elimelech. I don't see any before that. Please note that "Neched" means grandson but is also used to mean "descendant" quite often. However, that Moshe Eliyahu was married to a woman named Yorah (I am unfamiliar with the name's source). Their last name was Alovitz (that's my transliteration from the Hebrew but I see that their are many versions and permutations of that name as well.)

From that Alovitz chain, there are more Moshe Eliyahu's (surely named after their grandfather etc.) and one can also find a Moshe Eliyahu Reich in that chain.

However, I cannot find a Tova/Toba anywhere related to these. If you had a year of death, it might help. My hebrew is pretty good but I can't make out the words on the last line of the tombstone.

Be well,

Yehuda

8/1/2016 at 1:52 PM

Yehuda Dov Cohen, thanks for your reply. In the meantime (just this morning) I found a match in the burial books:

The stone says she died 16 Kislev 5686, i.e. 03-Dec-1925. That day (according to the burial books) died Taube ELOVICS.

Note that your transliteration ALOVITZ matches the "official" surname (written in Hungarian) ELOVICS. Also Taube matches Taba on the stone (sort of diminutive I'd say). Not sure where comes "Yorah" from.

Best,
Peter

8/1/2016 at 2:40 PM

Hi Peter
Yes it seems that you are related to my wife's family
My wife is a decanted from Pinchos Elimelech Reich Elowitz which makes her 3 time a decadent from R Elimelech

Rabbi Pinchas Elimelech Reich, Of Kleinwardein

Please feel free to contact me at any time

Best regards
D

8/1/2016 at 10:24 PM

Dovid Katz, I'm not related, I only try to document and photograph the cemetery and make it searchable for everyone.

Best,
Peter

Private User
8/5/2016 at 7:07 AM

Rabbi Elimelech M'Lizensk had a daughter "MIROSH" that married Rabbi Eliyahu of Sde Lavan. They had a son by the name of Pinchus Elimelech Illowitz of Zborov. They had a son Elazar Eliezer Lipa Illowitz. Their son Moshe Eliezer Married "Yara" which was the daughter of Rabbi Elimelech of Riminov, who was the son of Rabbi Eliezer Lipa of Chmelnick, son of Rabbi Elimelech M' Lizensk.

Showing all 9 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion