• Geni member
  • Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni member

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 21 posts
3/10/2017 at 11:47 AM

Though William Longespee was my 24th great-grandfather, Ida de Toeny comes up as "your 25th great grandfather's partner" no matter what I do. She is my 25th great grandmother. It used to come up correctly, but recently something seems to have changed. Anybody else having that problem?

Private User
3/10/2017 at 1:43 PM

Probably means somebody's been tinkering with the tree in between her and you. It may settle down again in a few days to a week - if not, try "walking the tree" from your profile to hers (this has to be done from within the profiles, not via Tree View). And if that doesn't help, try asking a Curator for help.

Incidentally, it looks like you're descended from Henry II via Eleanor of Aquitaine and their daughter Eleanor of Castile, as well. The path algorithm tends to get confused when there's more than one line of direct descent.

Private User
3/11/2017 at 7:22 AM

Well there is something wrong with the chart that comes up over both King Henry the 1st and 2nd. It was the 1st the grandchild of Henry the 2nd, which is in fact incorrect as Henry the 2nd was the grand child of Henry the 1st. .Hence why my William Longspree is not showing up either. Abd the part goes down to my Canadian French ,my father's side , rather then through the English side to my mother's line. Something is wrong with the set up of the path

3/11/2017 at 8:54 AM

I'm directly descended from Henry II through William Longespee, Eleanor of Castile, and also John Lackland (could have done without that one!). That might really make a mess. I sometimes have to trace it back as you suggested, Maven, from the other direction, to get there -- from Henry III in John's case, but it doesn't work with William and Ida. That has just happened recently with Ida and William. I think someone must have tampered with the line.

I have several situations where i am descended from more than one brother or sister. They did intermarry a lot and that makes for some strange connections further down the genetic line.

Private User
3/11/2017 at 2:36 PM

Like you I am also connected via John and like you I could have lived without that one. Someone is always tampering here and there. That's why I am glad I have everything on paper/

Private User
3/11/2017 at 2:37 PM

Heh, tell me about it! I have a lot of trouble much closer to home, because I have ancestors from three "briar-patches": Calitri, Italy (isolated hill town, lots of cousin marriages), Anne Arundel, MD (small gene pool to start with, lots of intermarriage for both social and religious reasons), and Northampton/Accomack Counties, VA (small gene pool, very isolated, lots of cousin marriages and intermarriages). :-D

Private User
3/11/2017 at 4:01 PM

Most of mine are either English , Scot and French. Some Native American. There are some people that I seem to not to be able find beyond five gen back. But I guess that's better some people but compared to rest of the lines that

Private User
3/11/2017 at 4:04 PM

I am all New England on my mother's side and there was a lot people marring cousins/
Sometimes I have so many dup great great grand Parents , that I end up with less sets then I should have

Private User
3/11/2017 at 4:05 PM

I am all New England on my mother's side and there was a lot people marring cousins/
Sometimes I have so many dup great great grand Parents , that I end up with less sets then I should have

3/15/2017 at 11:19 AM

Thanks to whoever corrected this. ida appears as my 28th great grandmother again.

3/15/2017 at 12:52 PM

However, someone has now totally screwed up the lineage and the Empress Matilda now shows as my great grandfathers first wife -- Geoffrey only had one wife -- and not my great grandmother, which she is. Also, John Lackland is now my uncle and Henry III is my cousin, but both are my great grandparents. I think I will just ignore it -- like my first complaint, it will probably resolve itself in time.

Private User
3/15/2017 at 1:15 PM

Somebody forced an impossible marriage on Geoffrey, to a "Margaret Plantagenet" who wasn't even born until long after he died. Some sources make her a daughter of Hamelin d'Anjou and Isabelle de Warenne, which would make her Geoffrey's *granddaughter* (but there is no reliable documentation for this).

Private User
3/15/2017 at 1:25 PM

Disconnected Margaret from Geoffrey, and put a jump-link to Hamelin 4th Earl of Surrey in her "About".

3/15/2017 at 1:44 PM

Thanks. Hamelin is another of my great grandfathers...

Private User
3/15/2017 at 1:58 PM

I think it's going to take more than a jump-link - is Geni still allowing profiles once directly connected to the Big Tree to remain connected? Or have they changed that too?

Private User
3/15/2017 at 2:09 PM

Attempting to merge Margaret and Margaret (duplicate profile I just created), but I can't work both sides of the merge. :-(

I don't know if this is a good idea or not, because I don't know what historical evidence, if any, there is for this profile. But leaving her hanging in isolation was not such a good idea either.

3/16/2017 at 2:20 PM

From everything I've seen, and I have done research, that person doesn't exist. Geoffrey had only one wife, though the age difference and Matilda's having previously been a Holy Roman Empress pretty much assured they didn't get along. He had plenty of mistresses. They lived separate lives for the most part, with Matilda in England and Geoffrey in Anjou.

3/16/2017 at 2:28 PM

Just a side note -- though this dynasty is called the Plantagenets, it was not a name they used. It refers to Geoffrey having worn a sprig of broom, a yellow flower -- planta genet -- in his hat. That may be an apocryphal story, but seems to be the origin of the name. People in that era did not have surnames. They were identified by their parentage or the place they came from or their title or lands they held.

3/18/2017 at 11:34 AM

Another mess -- now, though Edward I Longshanks is listed as my great grandfather, it shows his father, Henry III, as my first cousin and his grandfather, John Lackland as my great uncle. Also, though Henry II is listed as my great grandfather, Eleanor is now listed as my great grandfather's "third wife." Henry II only had the one wife, though he had plenty of mistresses, and Eleanor is John's mother, Henry II's grandmother and Edward I's great grandmother. Pretty tricky genetics

Private User
3/25/2017 at 4:27 PM

Not going to sweat it about Margaret, since nobody seems to be claiming her as an ancestress. Lots of children died young back then.

"Plantagenet" is often used as a dynastic cognomen even though there is no real evidence for it prior to Richard, 3rd Duke of York (1411-1460), who adopted it as his surname and wore it proudly.

6/23/2017 at 9:29 PM

Hilarious, now Ida de Toeny shows up as my ancestral great grandmother through two lines -- William Longespee/Ela of Salisbury and Hugh Bigod/Maud Marshal. That's what it originally showed, so I think whatever went haywire has been corrected.

Showing all 21 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion