• Private User
    Geni member
  • Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni Pro

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 27 posts

If any one has some knowledge about these names, ,i already know they were in france belgium,and holland and lower germany

but how did they come to have so many varients?, (other than different countries), but where is this Meure?i have googled it and cant find any information,other than Meuse,, or a part of the Rhine river, but it is spelt diferently.

any knowledge would be a lovely help .

Angelina .

Private User

Jeroen MW van Dijk PRO
Today at 8:41 AM
I have checked the name Meuren out and there is very little information on it, I can not see if it is a dutch or a Belgium last name, but I'm guessing it is a Belgium last name. And the normal spelling is "Meuren" and not ""van der Meuren". It could be a placename, but it could also be a chosen name and then it would be not a serious name meaning "smell bad" or "doing something that smells bad". It depends on the first use of that last of family name.

I have found btw the meurenstraat in "3680, Maaseik, Belgium", but that could be the street were the family Meuren has a house.

The reason that very little is found about the name, makes it more likely that all the people with that last name are related to each other. But more research needed to be done to make that sure.

Thanks Alex, and Jeroen . :)

It is interesting to Note, that van der Meuren , has the family name Severijns, ,in its family line, as well as mine, but i can not find a link yet .

http://www.cbgfamilienamen.nl/nfb/lijst_namen.php?operator=eq&n...

It seems not to be a Dutch name originally, for this official sites does not recognize one of you spellingvariation. I

But if I check my own vocabulaire, I now MEUR is a dutch word for ODEUR, SMELL or whatever comes from the loo...

i also saw it means death?, or blackberry?

Charming

Is the smell of death similar with that of blackberries just before you think: Should I really eat that as a desert of offer my guests? No experience with that kind of kitchen...

Wel!!! Thank you Jeanette, luckily i have a sense of humour, or i would Slap you with a

pickled Herring :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maaseik

on the banks of the Meuse.

aaaah, ofcourse La Meuse, la fleuve si romantique...

BUT: i have to disappoint you again and for the record I adore pickled Herring, I ate them just this evening together with my husband and my cat Terra, who is an adorer of that food as well... but about the differnce between La MeuSe and MeuRe is a big distance in our alphabetical area... so I think you did a good job by finding that romantic enviroment of Limburg, but I still am convince about the Meur=odeur theory.

so, a theory, ., Most, were to do with the land, and horticulture, that might be a big hint for me :)

but all of this still doesnt explain where this Meuren is . :)

is or was, how old is she or he? Maybe I can be of help to find a grave or other ashes?

Private User

Thank you,:)

This is Gerard Meuren, i will leave the link here,he is the one who "suddenly appeared", in Roermond, im not sure how much of a surprise he was, or that he was just not noticed that much,until he married Maria van Lin, whos father was a Jucken van Lin
but here it is, stuck in time.i keep adding profiles, around it, but never get anywhere.

Gerardt MEUREN

Some thoughts and ideas.

Antwerp (English) , Antwerpen (Flemish / Dutch / German) , Anvers (French). They're different names for the same place and they're all pronounced differently. I looked op Antwerp to see if anyone truly knows where the name originated. No one seems to know for sure. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antwerp. That's probably also true abour the name you're inquiring about :-)

I then went to 'Google Translate' and finally found a translation for 'demeure' . In Belgium 'De' is often stuck on to the second part of the name. So 'De Meure' could become Demeure, Vandermeure etc.

If you look at the 5 translations on the bottom right side of the 'Google Translate' page you'll see that it could be that the name translates to : https://translate.google.com/#auto/en/demeure

residence

abode

demeure, résidence, domicile, logis, habitacle

dwelling place

I do think it was originally a French name of someone who lived long ago or a place. In the area which is now Belgium (since 1830), many languages have been sproken. Even now, in this tiny land, there are 3 official languages. A name or place would sound one way in one language and another way in another language and even from one town or another words are affected by dialects.

When you drive from one part of the country to another many places have street signs in one or more of the countries languages.

Thank you Anne, well, we do know the Heugonots, some were Meure, , and sometimes Meure, becomes Meurs, in another language,

then also i found out, sometimes they used Aliases for varying reasons

or they had different fathers, so many reasons, like this little snippet i was reading this afternoon.

The origin of Simon Corsten is possible Linne. There he was in November 1684 as Peter Nelissen named as guardian of the children Kals, both when close relatives and living in 'Berg. Nelissen was related through marriage to Maria Cals, Simon would (a brother?) Alongside related to the wife of ships Henderick Kals to Linne. His brother (?) Thonis Corsten, marriage witness in 1668, was then also called Linne. (RHCL Maastricht 01017: archive schepenbank Linne, inv 4 page 117 and page 97. 6 inv.).

Alias are very often a way to tell about their professions or to (hide) their religio.

Nelissen is the son of NELIS, a very regular Dutch name for a boy, also those who were workers on the land, the agricultural option...

As a guardian of children he might have been educated as a teacher, maybe you have to look for schools in the neigbourhood of his cradle. Most schools were run by religional people, but when you call him a protestant (hugenot), he might be elevated by predikanten & philosopers...
See also :
* https://www.geni.com/projects/Predikanten-Predikers-in-de-familie/4739

meur
Contents [hide]
1 Breton
1.1 Etymology
1.2 Pronunciation
1.3 Adjective
2 Cornish
2.1 Etymology
2.2 Pronunciation
2.3 Adjective
2.4 Mutation
3 Dutch
3.1 Pronunciation
3.2 Etymology
3.3 Noun
3.4 Verb
4 Irish
4.1 Noun
4.2 Mutation
5 Old French
5.1 Alternative forms
5.2 Etymology
5.3 Adjective
5.3.1 Declension
5.3.2 Descendants
6 Scottish Gaelic
6.1 Etymology
6.2 Noun
6.2.1 Synonyms
6.2.2 Derived terms
6.2.3 See also
6.3 Mutation
6.4 References
7 West Flemish
7.1 Etymology
7.2 Noun
7.2.1 Alternative forms
Breton[edit]
Etymology[edit]
From Proto-Brythonic *mọr, from Proto-Celtic *māros, from Proto-Indo-European *moh₁ros, from *meh₁-.

Pronunciation[edit]
IPA(key): /møʁ/
Adjective[edit]
meur

great
Cornish[edit]
Etymology[edit]
From Proto-Brythonic *mọr, from Proto-Celtic *māros, from Proto-Indo-European *moh₁ros, from *meh₁-.

Pronunciation[edit]
IPA(key): [mœːr], [meːɹ], [miːɹ]
Adjective[edit]
meur

great
Mutation[edit]
[show ▼] Mutation of meur
Dutch[edit]
Pronunciation[edit]
IPA(key): /møːr/
Rhymes: -øːr
Etymology[edit]
From meuren.

Noun[edit]
meur m (plural meuren, diminutive meurtje n)

(colloquial) stench, foul smell
Synonyms: stank
Verb[edit]
meur

first-person singular present indicative of meuren
imperative of meuren
Irish[edit]
Noun[edit]
meur f (genitive singular méire, nominative plural meura)

Obsolete spelling of méar (“finger”)
Mutation[edit]
Irish mutation
Radical Lenition Eclipsis
meur mheur unchanged
Note: Some of these forms may be hypothetical. Not every
possible mutated form of every word actually occurs.
Old French[edit]
Alternative forms[edit]
meür
Etymology[edit]
Latin mātūrus.

Adjective[edit]
meur m (oblique and nominative feminine singular meure)

mature
Declension[edit]
[show ▼]Declension of meur
Descendants[edit]
French: mûr
Scottish Gaelic[edit]
Etymology[edit]
From Old Irish mér, possibly from Proto-Indo-European *mh₂ḱros.

Noun[edit]
meur f (genitive singular meòir, plural meuran)

finger
key (on a keyboard, a typewriter, etc.)
branch
Synonyms[edit]
corrag
Derived terms[edit]
meur-chlàr
meur-lorg
See also[edit]
gleus
iuchair
putan
Mutation[edit]
Scottish Gaelic mutation
Radical Lenition
meur mheur
Note: Some of these forms may be hypothetical. Not every
possible mutated form of every word actually occurs.
References[edit]
Faclair Gàidhlig Dwelly Air Loidhne, Dwelly, Edward (1911), Faclair Gàidhlig gu Beurla le Dealbhan/The Illustrated [Scottish] Gaelic-English Dictionary (10th ed.), Edinburgh: Birlinn Limited, ISBN 0 901771 92 9
West Flemish[edit]
Etymology[edit]
From Middle Dutch muer, variant of muur, from Old Dutch mūra, from Latin mūrus.

Noun[edit]
meur m (plural meurn or meurs)

wall
Alternative forms[edit]
meure

Ce qui m'attendait c'est MÛR en Francais.

What about MÛR = WALL in English?

Moers might also be an contraction of the words MOEDER's what can mean 'Van de Moeder', dus 'n MOEDERSkindje (zijn we allemaal, toch).

That means a GENITIVUS from Mother, so child of the Mother, but not THE mother = Maria.

it was the van Meurs, i was interested in.

In Dutch, ---seriously, I'll stop when we have found the clou, ok?--- 'meuren' means also 'to sleep'.

Thank you Jeannette :)

Showing all 27 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion