Alice Johnson (Bennett) - @Alice Johnson (Bennett)

Started by Private User on Saturday, April 8, 2017
Problem with this page?

Participants:

• Private User
    Geni member
  • Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni Pro

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 17 posts
Private User
4/8/2017 at 7:03 AM

This person never existed. She could not be a daughter of Thomas Bennett and Alice Pierce who were not married until 1624. The claimed mother Alice Snayle 1580-aft 1647 married 1st to Thomas Pierce in England c1600 and had a daughter by him Elizabeth Pierce who accompanied this family when they emigrated to Charles City in 1618 in the supply ship William. The husband Thomas Pierce was killed in the Indian Massacre at Martins Hundred on 26 Mar 1622 at which time his widow and daughter were captured by the Indians and held for ransom. After their release, the widow then married Thomas Bennett and her daughter close him as her guardian to protect her interest in the estate of her deceased fiance' John Filmer. There are no proven children of Thomas Bennett and his 2nd wife Alice Snayle Pierce as all of his children are attributed to his 1st wife. The daughter Elizabeth Pierce did have a daughter Mary Jackson, by her 2nd husband Richard Jackson, who married George Hardy 1633-1696. In 1647 the widow Alice Bennett gave her two Jackson granddaughters land the bordered that of George Hardy 1610-1655 that he gave to his nephew George Hardy 11633-1696. Evidently whoever wrote this profile has made wrong assumptions from the 1675 Will of John Hardy. The wife Alice named has been known for centuries as Alice Tucker, the widow of Arthur Allen d1669 in Surry, just across Lawnes Creek from the 1666 patent to John Hardy.in Isle of Wight. The widow Alice Tucker Allen Hardy was still living on the remainder of the 1666 patent land that John Hardy had set aside in his 1675 Will for her to live out her life on, as late as 1686 when she is named as a neighbor to a new patent. And in 1681 when she gave her son in law William Mayo her power of attorney.
The Jun 1677 date of this Alice Bennett (Johnson) is actually the 1675 Will of John Hardy was filed for probate. This profile should be deleted.

4/9/2017 at 11:47 PM

Since she has a child and husband attached, the best technical solution is to detach (the former Alice Bennett) from not-her-parents Thomas Bennett, of Mulberry Creek & Alice Elizabeth Pierce Bennett - and rename her as wife of Johnson. Which I have now done.

4/10/2017 at 12:07 AM

I think this all fell into place now, with help from your other note about Robert Johnson

Take a look.

Private User
4/10/2017 at 6:02 AM

Also, watch out for "Thomas Bennett" - there were at least two of him.

Private User
4/10/2017 at 6:42 AM

I see this is another place where somebody came along *after* I had the family all tidied up, and mess-merged it. This is very frustrating.

Private User
4/10/2017 at 6:45 AM

People, somebody DID mash-merge the two Thomas Bennetts - and also Richard Bennett the Governor and Richard Bennett NOT the Governor!!! Yes there WERE two of EACH of them!!!!!

FIX IT!!!

Private User
4/10/2017 at 7:13 AM

Richard Bennett the Governor was NOT born in Virginia and was NOT a son of Thomas Bennett of Mulberry Island. His dates are 6 August 1609 – 12 April 1675, and he was born in Wiveliscombe, Somerset, England. His parentage is uncertain but thought to have been Thomas Bennett (1570–1616) and Antsie Tomson of Wiveliscombe. One rather suspects his uncle Edward (1577 – bef. 1651) had the raising of him - at all events, *this* Richard Bennett arrived in Virginia as an adult circa 1626 under his uncle's auspices, and was accordingly quite successful.

Richard Bennett NOT the Governor *was* born in Virginia, date debatable, mother debatable, father known to be Thomas Bennett of Mulberry Island.

Private User
4/10/2017 at 7:43 AM

http://www.packrat-pro.com/ships/shipnamesBa.htm

Bennett Thomas Bona Nova 1618
Benett, Thomas - muster at Neck-of-Land near James City. Wife Margery on the Gift. (Hotten, p. 230

Bennett Thomas Neptune unk (before 1624)
Bennett, Thomas, aged 38 at muster at Besses Choyce, listed with Mary aged 18 on Southhampton, Roger Heford and Benjamin Simes. (Hotten, p. 242)

*Neither one* was the father of Richard Bennett the Governor - one of them, uncertain which one, was probably the father of Richard Bennett NOT the Governor.

4/10/2017 at 1:23 PM

Maven, can you give a try at looking at the revisions tab and identifying which was the bad merge?

Private User
4/10/2017 at 1:50 PM

Seems to have more to do with Alice than Thomas, actually, but I can't put my finger on exactly how it came about.

Richard Bennett the Governor has somehow become attached to this tree and he has to come off.

Private User
4/10/2017 at 1:55 PM

Simplest thing to do is shell him out and merge him with Richard NOT the Governor. He's not attached to any of the Governor's relatives (as far as I can tell) and has merely acquired his dates.

Private User
4/10/2017 at 2:13 PM

Too many wives and children on too many people. Thomas Bennett has been lumbered with an "unknown" wife and a Peter Bennet who was probably not his son (parents unknown). Margery (wife of the Thomas Bennett at Neck-of-Land) has had four children added who are apparently relatives of Richard (the Governor) Bennett. Richard NOT the Governor has five wives and seven children, some of whom are probably duplicates.

And so on and on and on....

Private User
4/10/2017 at 2:53 PM

Here's Peter, just in case we need to find him again: Peter Bennett, of Bristol

Private User
4/10/2017 at 3:30 PM

Robert the Governor's family tree is a mess too, because no one seems to know whether his mother was an Anstie Spicer, an Antsie Tomson, or an Alice somebody.

I kicked Margery's not-children off onto Thomas Bennett, of Wiveliscombe, who now needs to be merged with Thomas Bennett, of Wiveliscombe and some consensus arrived as to wife's name.

Private User
4/10/2017 at 3:34 PM

Merge completed but I still think he needs to be ID'ed as "Thomas Bennett of Wiveliscombe" to keep him away from the Virginia Thomas Bennetts. And sorting out the children is going to be a nasty chore....

4/10/2017 at 3:47 PM

Katherine Johnson may have been one of the culprits, she had been merged into the Bennetts.

I will label in a second.

Private User
4/10/2017 at 4:17 PM

I really don't believe Alice Pierce Bennett had a middle name of "Elizabeth" - middle names were not A Thing until the middle 18th century as a rule.

Is there documentation for her birth name as "Snayle"?

Showing all 17 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion