Richard Brown, of Newbury - Calne???

Started by Douglas Russell Brown on Friday, April 28, 2017
4/28/2017 at 7:36 AM

Thought I would try searching Church Records 1600's Eng. FamilySearch.

I find a Name change.....Browen.....Along with all the other possible options, why not, I can not find a relationship under Brown or Browne where there show up together with one fathers name, in the same town...Calne, Wiltshire, Eng.

Richard Browen; b: 1613 Christening, Father William Browen, Calne, Wiltshire, Eng.
Batch # C39063-1 , origin Eng.-VR , GS Film # 1279348 , Ref: 2:2P20VRX , FHL Micro. # 1,279,348

George Browen; b 1611 Calne, Wiltshire, Eng. Father William Browen, Batch # C39063-1 Origin Eng. - VR , film # 1279348 , Ref: # 2:2P20NME , FHL Micro # 1,279,348

Michael Browne b; 20 Sept. 1612 Durnford, Wiltshire, Eng. father William Browen, Batch # P01399-1 , origin Eng.-ODM , Film # 082411 IT6 , FHL Micro # 0824211 IT

As with Wolston, Wystan, Winstan, Weston, ect...Lets say they are leaving due to persecution, and are part of the separatists movement. there are leaving why not leave the old name behind or they said when asked Browen and the person writing it down heard Brown (English spelling)

Calne > Durnford 28.9 miles apart.

Sent: Thursday, April 27, 2017 9:10 PM
To: Douglas Brown
Subject: Re: Richard, George, Michael, William????

I looked at the microfilm of the baptism records of Calne. Not easy to read. Names are written mostly with individual letters - not script - in an old English style. My observation is that the w had a little flourish at the end which the transcriber interpreted as an e. The n also has flourish at the end which looks like an e. My opinion is the word is Browne or Brown not Browen.
I have seen Michael Browne in Durnford. Not a good fit if he was born in 1612 and George in 1611 and Richard in 1613. Of course birth and baptism years don't have to be the same.
Bob

from ME
OK….Given.. WE Will never know WHO their parents were due to the lack of evidence they left us on them, Name, Place, or any other doc to tie them together…
Except DNA…(which may take a while to get) and these church records which may be the closest we will get to finding them with out a Y-DNA match in England. These two tie in with the ref: made in THE GREAT MIGRATION..pg; 419-420 “ parish registry of Calne, Wiltshire, appear the Baptisms of George son of William September 1611 and Richard son of William 31 Oct 1613” And with the R-DF83 Y-DNA Haplogroup of Stephen Brown. AS it says in the GM these date are consistent with the dates we know for these two brothers, but beyond that?? And that is what the Genealogical research people said, “they could not grantee the connection with the evidence we have” So we are left with the best educated guess we can muster.
It makes these brothers look pretty good.

I sent a copy to Steven and to Erica for their thoughts.

DB

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion