Started by Alex Moes on Wednesday, May 10, 2017
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 11 posts
5/10/2017 at 4:05 PM

I've revised the name fields based on this article:

http://www.fulkerson.org/1-vigne.html

I've added all(?) the variants to the AKA field.

FYI Guelyn is such an odd name that can only find two other Dutchmen with that name in Holland, none in NA DRC records.

Private User
5/12/2017 at 9:03 AM

My 9 GGF was Ghislain Geleyn de la Vigne. He had a daughter named Guleyn (Vigne) Ver Planck and a granddaughter named Christina Guleyne Vigne.

5/12/2017 at 10:33 PM

Private User there is quite some controversy as to whether this man's name was Ghislain or Guillaume.

I have been guided by the following text, in this case Willem Vienje is a Dutch translation for Guillaume Vigne, Willem and William are the Dutch and English versions of Guillaume. If his name had been Ghislain why would the Dutch call him "Willem"?

The following is the translation of the prenuptial agreement by Adrienne and Jan, concerning her children by her deceased husband, Guillaume Vigne:

"Dirck Volgersen Noorman and Ariaentje Cevelyn, his wife's mother, came before us in order to enter into an agreement with her children whom she has borne by her lawful husband Willem Vienje... [New York Historical Manuscripts: Dutch, Volume 1, ed. and trans. by Arnold J. F. Van Laer. Baltimore, 1974. The document was certified by William Wyman, blacksmith, and Jan Thomaisen Groen, and witnessed by Jacob Albertsen Planck who arrived in New Amsterdam in 1634 on the "Eendracht."]

Private User
5/13/2017 at 2:33 AM

Thanks for filling in alternate versions fro given names. There are so many New Amsterdam profiles that need this kind of attention.

One other comment on this one: If Guilliaume died in "New Amsterdam, New Netherland Colony" shouldn't his place of burial be changed from "New York, USA" to New Amsterdam too?

Private User
5/13/2017 at 2:46 AM

While our eyes are on this profile, might we also take a look at Guillaume's place of birth?

Valenciennes is quite distant from Saint-Vaast-la-Hougue, Manche, Lower Normandy... The <about> section only mentions the former as his place of birth.
Should we change the POB to Valenciennes?

I have a bias here... I'd love to put Vigne back where one of my favorite people was baptized > the illustrious Mlle. Trico :)

5/13/2017 at 3:58 PM

re: Burial location name

It is a 'sort of' convention that burial location uses the "modern" name for the location so that someone can more easily go visit the place.

5/13/2017 at 5:34 PM

Not only that but for people less familiar with colonial or ancient names the burial place being a modern name helps users locate themselves a bit.

5/13/2017 at 5:43 PM

As for place of birth I don't usually change the location fields of MPs curated by others, i'll ride rough shod over non-MPs correcting them as i see fit but different curators deal with ancient place names differently so i respect their settings.

Eg some curators use "Nieuw Nederland" will I myself use "New Netherland Colony". It's two different names for the same place, neither is wrong so i won't change. On the other hand if i spot "New Amsterdam, NY, USA" i will change that because it is an error of understanding. If i am being particularly dedicated i will also remove county names from location fields if the corresponding date is pre 1683

5/13/2017 at 5:59 PM

Having said that i do agree that the concensus seems to be that the Vigne family were from Valenciennes so no idea how Saint-Vaast-la-Hougue got into the picture. Just remember that Valenciennes was not French until 1678.

Without thinking it through too much i'd use "Valenciennes, Hainault, Spanish Netherlands" which (i think) would be historically accurate but not language accurate. To be honest i don't know whether a language accurate name would be in Dutch or French or Spanish :)

5/14/2017 at 7:43 AM

There is a "Valencienne" in Sceaux-sur-Huisne, France about 400 km SW of the Walloon Valenciennes.

5/14/2017 at 3:45 PM

I suppose we have to bear in mind that it's only in the last 20 years that the internet has made us all expert geographers, with Google i can find every Valencienne(s) in France and place them on a map in a couple of minutes, pre-internet you would have to have very strong knowledge of French geography to even know there was more than one Valenciennes let alone where they are compared to each other, or that Valenciennes is in Nord not Manche.

Showing all 11 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion