Elizabeth Wilson (Roop) - Elizabeth Wilson

Started by Claire Fuller on Sunday, June 4, 2017
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 2 posts
6/4/2017 at 11:05 AM

Elizabeth Wilson was the daughter of Christopher Roop who lived in Middletown NJ, presently Leonardo on Roop Ave. where they owned the farm off the Hudson Bay. They would take their produce to the landing or port at that time, to transport their produce Landing is near the present day Leonardo State Marina. Monmouth County NJ mentions the house as a historical home, and describes how during the Rev. War, the home was raided by the British which was a huge problem during those times, they tried to break into a locked desk with their bayonets. The desk had been in the family and the scratch marks are still there. Elizabeth married Benjamin Wilson son of Andrew Wilson of Middletown descendant of John Wilson associate Patentee and translator for the Indian deeds for the British. Benjamin became a minute man for the Rev. war at age 16, he was served in the army and then under Adam Hyler the whale boat patriot, who would attack British ships as they were trying to raid NJ. He owned lots of land down near Waycake Creek all the way to the beach, Middletown, now called Keansburg. All the children of Ben and Elizabeth lived in that area, Andrew was involved with getting the light house, school and Methodist church going on there. William C was my GGG-grandfather Susan married Robert Seeley and Hester married a Collins, all 3 worked together at Hyllards landing shipping goods to NYC. Hester also married a Hyllard I'm not sure if this is a son of Adam Hyler. The Seeleys + Collins have streets named after the families. Benjamin also owned a tavern around 1823. Benjamin's mother was Hester Bonham who was a grand daughter to Samuel Fuller from the Mayflower.

6/4/2017 at 6:30 PM

Now that I think of it, when the Roop house was attacked I think it was Hessians, which would be interesting because Christopher Roop spoke and read German, (his will mentions the "high Dutch books") High Dutch is Southern German, where low Dutch is Netherlands. The Hessians are also from Southern Germany like Bavaria.

Showing all 2 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion