Janitje Hendrick (van Meteren) - Some corroboration is require for Janitje Hendrick (van Meteren)

Started by Alex Moes on Monday, July 3, 2017
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 11 posts
7/3/2017 at 9:55 PM

I assume that her name would actually have been Jannetje or Jannetien but not really important as spelling in the 17th century was not a concern for anyone as long as the sense of the message was conveyed.

The last name Hendrick is obviously taken from her husband, Hance Hendrick, whether it is an accurate name for him or not isn't really relevant at this point.

DOB = 1680, absolutely no idea where this comes from. A family bible? A baptism somewhere? Anyone?

Parents = Joost Van Meteren and Sarah du Bois?
Joost and Sara married in 1682 in NY, so two year and a state away from where Jannetje is alleged to be born.
It's next to impossible that she was born 2 years b4 her parents married so either her DOB is wrong or these are the wrong parents.
Where does the maiden name "van Meteren" come from? Do we have a marriage record? Anyone?

Son(?), William Hendrick,is born c1680, so the same year as his mother, unlikely! Either parents DOBs are totally wrong or William is in the wrong family... or his DOB is totally wrong. Anyone?

7/3/2017 at 10:03 PM

Janitje and Hans are currently displaying a marriage date of 1702 but no location is given.
Considering that Hans' birth and death location is shown as "King William, Virginia" and this is the same birth location as his children it would seem a good place to start looking for a marriage record.

Anyone have access to "King William, Virginia" records for this time period?

SB
7/4/2017 at 7:09 AM
7/4/2017 at 3:32 PM

SB,
I suggest you read http://www.genfiles.com/hendrick/the-faulty-legend-of-jannetje-van-... and also take a look at Chapter 1 of http://www.genfiles.com/hendrick/

While it is only one researcher's opinion it is a very thorough document with a lot of sources and references.

The 4 links you provided are histories of the vM family but none of them have anything to do with the wife of Hance Hendrick.

The only puzzle that I can see is who were Jane Hendrick's parent's and where/when was she born?

7/4/2017 at 3:40 PM

Documentary evidence for the generation after Janitje seems quite reliable.

My conclusion at this point is that JANE was born c.1650, likewise her husband Hance and their son William is correctly dated as DOB c1680.

JANE's location of birth is unknown definitely NOT in Virginia, likewise Hance. William is almost certainly born in Virginia.

JANE's parents are unknown, there is no link to the Van Meteren family and no evidence to show her last name was ever van Meteren.

Circumstantial evidence suggests she may have died as late as 1738 in Virginia.

7/4/2017 at 3:43 PM

Disconnected from parents Joost Jansen van Meteren and Sarah van Meter until any evidence of such link can be found.

7/4/2017 at 4:18 PM

Thank you, Alex. I think you've learned that "vital records for King William county" is a giggle fit, and that Bob's Filing Cabinet" is stuffed with excellent articles.

SB
7/4/2017 at 5:06 PM

Has anyone bothered to do any DNA testing before giving up??? I often find that stories are often proven to be correct, and Census records often has errors. I say don't give up. There's a answer waiting to be found.

7/4/2017 at 5:17 PM

SB what are you DNA testing? A DNA test doesn't tell you "Janitje is your 5x ggmother and Joost is your 6x ggfather". It tells you that SB is related to XYZ and their nearest common ancestor lived approximately 400 years ago. How does that prove who Janitje's parents were?

DNA testing is great but it won't solve this mystery, you need a time-machine and a fire truck (to go back and save the courthouse[s] from burning down).

SB
7/4/2017 at 8:56 PM

Apparently I misunderstood the DNA testing. When my results state that so and so is my 3 cousin or such, I took it to mean what it said. And I tried to understand how this could be and find the connections. I understand better now, that it really does not mean anything unless it is a strong match. I respectfully apologize for any misunderstanding. I will not bother researching. Thanks for trying to help me understand.

7/5/2017 at 12:56 AM

SB,

If the results say they are your third cousin that's pretty specific (no reason to disbelieve them) and not so distant to make it impossible to prove but a third cousin relationship won't get you back to the 1650s.

Your first message was asking for help with proving the link between Jane Hendrick (NN) and Abraham van Meteren, I don't think anyone will ever be able to prove this and I think that this is because there is a very strong argument that they are not related.

Showing all 11 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion