William Polk - @William Polk (circa 1695 Ireland)

Started by Shirley Ann Fullen on Friday, July 14, 2017
Showing all 2 posts
7/14/2017 at 8:29 PM

I just finished reading a section of the book Beyond Damned Quarter by John F Polk Jr which states that John Polk, (eldest son of Robert and Magdalen Polk), first married Jugurtha Hugg and had children William and (Ann) Nancy. William married Priscilla Roberts, and (Ann) Nancy married Edward Roberts. After William died, Priscilla married Thomas Hugg and had child William Hugg who moved to Carlisle, PA and married Margaret Taylor. If I'm understanding this correctly, President Polk's line takes a curve in another direction here ... Is this William Polk in fact William Hugg (husband of Margaret Taylor)?

My 7th great grandfather is Robert Bruce Polk III, and I thought I was a 6th cousin, once removed to President Polk but it looks like his tree moves away from mine at this point. I'm guessing this is where President Polk's tree moves toward the Mecklenburg NC Polks and away from the Somerset Polks. Sure would appreciate some thoughts on this.

1/29/2018 at 3:53 AM

Hi Shirley. Continue reading and it will become clear that William Polk who married Margaret Taylor is not related to William Bruce Polk that married Magdalene Tasker. William Polk and William Hugg are not the same people. The Polk genealogy that has been used for more than a hundred years that states that President James Knox Polk is a descendant of William Polk and Magdalene Tasker has proven to be wrong. See my post above and join in the discussion and we will show proof of the genealogy line of both William Polk/MT and William Bruce Polk/MT have different yDNA haplogroups and cannot be paternally related.

Showing all 2 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion