Started by Dan Blau on Saturday, July 15, 2017
Problem with this page?

Participants:

• Geni member
  • Private User
    Geni Pro
Showing all 5 posts
7/15/2017 at 9:47 AM

I have tried and failed to find a birth record for a man born in Michalovce in 1911. Any chance the "Slovakia Church and Synagogue Books, 1592-1910" will expand next year? Is there any other way to get the record if you don't know which village someone was born in?

Private User
7/15/2017 at 11:07 AM

You should be able to obtain the record by contacting the municipal archives in Michalovce or the State Archives branch in Presov. I obtained death certificates for my grandfather who died in Michalovce in Dec 1920 and my great-grandparents who died there a few years later. At the time the charge was $15/record paid to the Slovak archives in WAshington DC.

7/16/2017 at 6:58 AM

Presov - not Kosice? Michalovce is in the Kosice region.

My understanding was that only the village archives have the birth records. Michalovce has more than 70 village archives. Since I can't identify the village, this seems to require contacting archives one by one. Many do not respond to emails or pick up the phone. I found my grandmother's birth record this way though.

Private User
7/17/2017 at 5:59 AM

My grand-father and great-grandparents lived in Nagy-Mihaly, now Michalovce, and the records were in the town hall there. Your message states that the man your are researching was born in Michalovce in 1911. You didn't say that he was born in the Nagymihalyi jaras (district). At the time, the entire area was, of course, part of Hungary. Now it is in the Kosicky district.

Private User
7/17/2017 at 6:02 AM

Contact information for the Kosice branch of the State Archives is:

Štátny archív v Košiciach
Bacikova ulice c. 1
P. O. Box C-26
04156 Košice
Slovakia

Telephone: 421 (0) 55 6222415
Fax: 421 (0) 55 7293245
E-mail: archiv.ke@minv.sk

Showing all 5 posts