Elige Levy (Moses) - Elige Moses-Salomon Levy

Started by Evan William Wolfson on Monday, July 24, 2017
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 9 posts
7/24/2017 at 5:09 AM

Hello! I'm interested to get in touch descendants of this couple who have taken a DNA test. So far I've got two descendants who share a DNA segment of over 8cM with my father on Chromosome 2. They are both descended from this couple. My father has ancestry nearby including per Stephan Roos, a Moses/Schloss family fro Leiwen and the Levy/Mehring family from Trier. I wonder if one or both members of this couple are closely related to those families. Any further info. on this couple would be appreciated. Is there a Familienbuch for Aach?

Private User
5/17/2020 at 4:33 PM

Elige Levy is My 6th great grandmother

2/8/2021 at 9:58 AM

Supposedly my lineage is as follows, but i personally have not taken a DNA test, nor would i depend on its reliability, especially for halacha:

Salomon Levy - Elige Moses
Alexander Levy - Mathilde Mayer
Salomon Levy - Johanetta Salomon
Moses Levy - Anna Maria (Eva) Salmen (Salamon)
Samuel Levy- Amelia Joseph
Sol Levy - Blanche Bergman
Richard Levy- Ada Kadet
Robert Levy- Beverly Levy
Me.

I'm in NY, USA.

8/29/2021 at 11:50 AM

Ok, so i did the family tree ydna test at 37 markers. Predicted haplogroup is R-M198. I plan to do the big Y at some point.

8/31/2021 at 4:22 AM

Hello! Sorry I haven’t gotten notifications for this the way I thought I would. Do you have any Y-37 matches at “0” deviations? (Identical match on all 37 values?)

I’m also looking for more people who have taken autosomal tests. It’s very possible an 8cM segment or larger would come through from enough people to develop a theory.. I think we are also dealing with a small group of Jews in that area during the mid-to-late 1700s, so there’s going to be a lot of endogamy and pedigree collapse. I do have my late father’s known matches on DNA Painter, so that may help identify things.

8/31/2021 at 7:21 AM

For what it’s worth, I think you are the Ben who tested on Ancestry for autosomal DNA. Have you transferred that to FTDNA so we can see the location of shared segments? I’d like to see how you compare to my late father and some other known cousins.

You and Ben levy
< 1% shared DNA | 14 cM across 5 segments
Unweighted shared DNA: 35 cM
Longest segment: 9 cM

9/1/2021 at 1:18 AM

Dear Evan,

Pleased to meet you. I apologize for my earlier cynical comment on taking the YDNA test. In the Orthodox world its not heavily relied upon and as such, nearly scoffed at in order to determine someone's Levite status. Long story short, though there be no intermarriage in my direct line, any tradition of being a Levi was lost so I spent the last 13 years in the dark (since I began observing Orthodox Judaism). This year, I finally came to the conclusion. Based on a long existing family tree of the Aach Levys and a dozen or so Hebrew tombstones i found from the USA to South Africa to Luxembourg, based on the Guy Schoemann tree, they were one family and they were ALL Levi'im. I'm awaiting a responsa to be finalized and for the decision to be approved before Rosh HaShanah, G-d willing.

Anyway,

Yes, there's a guy named Paul Brian Kelman who is an exact match on all 37 markers. He himself didn't respond to my email but i found his Geni page. His cousin gave me a vague lineage but didn't say if he was a Levi. I found only an English tombstone in Florida for his parents so no help there either and neither for his grandparents, whose tree i found also. They emigrated from Russia to new York.

My family tree matches are weird honestly. One of the top matches was a non Jewish businessman from Switzerland baptized as a Catholic, many many Levi'im and several non Levite Jews also whose family tombstones i found on find a grave.

Still digging toward the bottom of all this.

Yes, I am on Ancestry and i uploaded the DNA to family tree, my heritage and Living DNA just to be safe.

Please detail instructions to find the DNA segment and i would be happy to oblige, I'm new to the DNA world, only put my toes in the water.

The upgrade from 37 to 700 even during the August sale was like $319. Huge expense for me so I'm waiting a bit.

There's one other Aach Levy I found on Ancestry, a Robert Levy (my dad's name also incidentally). You can find him filtering Levy as last name and Aach, trier, saarburg, etc... as town. Luckily we do share a few Centimorgens and for that small amount it makes sense at that level of cousin. He didn't respond to me either.

I'm definitely not the genealogist of the Aach Levy line but anything else you want to know I'm happy to try to answer. Take great care.

Sincerely,

Ben Levy.

9/1/2021 at 1:38 AM

Dear Evan,

I realize now you might have been referring to three chromosome browser feature on Family tree. I have not purchased this upgrade unfortunately.

2/22/2023 at 2:55 PM

Hi all -- Elige and Salomon were my 5th great-grandparents. Here's my chain:
Elige and Salomon Levy
Lieser and Mendele Levy
Marie Vogel Levy & Nathan Nausen Frank
Gellen Eva Frank & Salomon Joseph Levy
Karoline Levy & Siegfried Epstein
Sami Epstein & Antonie "Toni" Maier
René Epstein/Erville & Herta Jurim
me!

Question:
Is there a source for which Aach (Rhineland-Palatinate vs. Baden- Wurttemberg) is the correct one? I've seen conflicting info. Rhineland makes more sense to me, but would love being positive. Thanks!

Showing all 9 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion