Troughton Tree discrepancies

Started by Leanne M (Volunteer Curator - Australia) 🇦🇺 on Wednesday, November 15, 2017
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 17 posts

There were a lot of duplicates for the TROUGHTON family and most have been merged.

There are some profiles that appear to be connected to the wrong generations. This discussion is work through them and work out where they should be connected

Discrepancy 1 Mary CLIFTON nee SIMONS
Mary Clifton was born 1811
spouse Philip Clifton born 1762 died 1825
children
- 1812 Mary Ann Troughton
- 1823 James Clifton
- ? Henry Simons Henry Simons Clifton

Either her birth date of 1811 is incorrect, or her children born 1812/1823 are incorrect.

Mary Ann Troughton married in England on 5 November 1834 to William TROUGHTON so a birth year of 1812 would make her 22 years of age.

Which makes Mary CLIFTON nee SIMONS birthdate of 1811 incorrect - so I will remove it.

Discrepancy 2 - Sarah Jane MARSH nee TROUGHTON
born Sarah Jane Marsh 1835 died 1917
Father - William Troughton no dob
Mother - Mary Ann Troughton born 1812
Souse - Henry Ireland Marsh born 1823
Married in 1853 in Australia
Children
1845 England - Margaret Marsh
1849 England - Ellen Marsh
1855 Australia - Eliza Ann
1857 Australia - Emily Jane
1859 Australia - Caroline Australia
1861 Australia - Mary Anne
1864 Australia - Eva Agnes Elizabeth S A
1866 Australia - Amelia Ellen
1869 Australia - Ada Grace
1871 Australia - Herbert Henry
1876 Australia - Lorrie Edmund Isaac
1881 Australia - Gertrude Helena

With her mother being born in 1812, her birth date of 1835 - mother age 23 appears correct. However she would only have been 9 and 13 when her first 2 children were born.

Can anyone confirm Margaret and Ellen 's birth dates or that Sarah is their mother?

Looking on the 1851 England Wales Census which is what is linked in the My.Heritage trees

Henry MARSH and Jane MARSH have two children
- Margaret
- Ellen

Being really common names, I will detach Margaret and Ellen until we can confirm they below to this pair.

Discrepancy 3 - Ernest Wilfred JARVIS

Ernest Wilfred Jarvis born 1890 is currently sitting on Geni with 2 sets of parrents
- Bernard Jarvis and Betty Fisher
- John Jarvis and Amy Frost (b1847)

Discrepancy 4 - Edith May BAKER

Edith May Baker born 1892 died 1980 is currently sitting on Geni with 2 sets of parents
- William Baker (born 1859 son of John BAKER and Mary ?) and Suzanne Grimstead (born 1856 daughter of Joseph GRIMSTEAD and Ann BAXTER)
- William Baker born 1889 and Suzanne Grimstead born 1862

William Baker birth date of 1889 cannot be correct as he has children born
- 1838 Betsy Bates
- 1885, 1886, 1887, 1889, 1892

Discrepancy 5 - Betsy BATES

Betsy Bates born 1838 is the daughter of William Baker (born 1889 - see discrepancy 4) and Suzanne Grimstead born 1862

Her siblings are born 1885, 1886, 1887, 1889, 1892

I will remove her birthdate

Discrepancy 6 - Robert? TROUGHTON

Robert? Troughton
born and died in 1745 but married and had 7 children

Discrepancy 7 - Ann ?

Ann? Troughton
born and died in 1748 but married ad had 7 children

Private User
5/6/2020 at 12:28 PM

I quit this site a few years ago because someone from US kept changing my data and conecting people who were not related at all. She also kept resolving issues and linking smart matches that I had already rejected, but she decided to mess with anyway. She was not even conected to anybody in my tree herself so I do not know why she kept interfering with it - or even how. The site was also not very user friendly at that time either - a slip of the mouse could move someone and connect them to another branch of the tree. Something which my youngest daughter had problems with while navigating the tree on her laptop. I got fed up of continually undoing those moves too. I wanted to close the site down permanently, but I was unable to do so. So I just left it. Returning to look at it again a few days ago, I notice it is a complete and utter mess! The only reason I came to look at it again anyway was because I found some really strange trees that I am in on other peoples sites on My Heritage ... these family trees seem to have aquired data from the Geni site which should not be there. I have therefore "restarted" my family tree from scratch on My Heritage rejecting ALL suggested smart matches. All my data will be from Primary sources ... I will not be putting in Secondary data or accepting matches to individuals from other peoples trees, until documentary confirmation is demontrated. I will then link it to the new site I started on Geni (which at this moment only has a few basic names).

Gary, if you tell me what is wrong with the connections I can make the necessary fixes.

Private User
5/7/2020 at 12:07 AM

Well, it will take weeks to sort out the mess - I need to check every family in every branch, one by one. That includes regoing through every record I have and checking it off.

I will start with the direct line through my family surname, working back generation by generartion. Then go through, siblings of each direct ancestor in each generation. It can get very difficult keep checking back and forth with the more common names.

Private User
5/25/2020 at 4:17 AM

I am trying ... it took me over three hours this morning to remove "Samuel William Troughton" from where it should NOT be - only to find it had been put back! William and Mary (Clifton) had five children: Sarah (moved to Australia when she was 17); Eliza (died 3mths old); James; Willam; and Robert. NO Samuel William ... he appears elsewhere in the family tree.

Hi Gary,
You can't just delete profiles managed by others. You need to raise a discussion / have a conversation, outline what you think is wrong and why and collaboratively agree on what is sourced and what is not.
Leanne

Private User
5/25/2020 at 6:06 AM

I GIVE UP!! There are hundreds of names that have been moved, duplicated or just added willy-nilly on a hunch into the tree - the reason I gave up on it 10 years ago!! I started this in 2008 - it got interfered with, mistakes were made by contributers ... and there were even people adding and merging names into it who had no connection to it. I have spent hundreds of hours over the last 30 years researching every record and branch of the tree - census records backed up with certificates and church records (I even have the Family Bible, names carefully added with dates of birth by ancesters). There is so much incorrect data here. I have spent nearly 8 hours today trying to correct mistakes - time wasted! If people want to use this data - incorrect as it is, I pity them as they will have a tree that contains incorrect data. Sadly, many already have. I wanted to share my data with relatives back in 2008 and Geni seemed a good way to do so; now I just wish to be diconnected from this online corrupted version - I started it in 2008, but I have no wish to continue trying to ammend everybody else's blunders! I wipe my hands of it. And, one more thing - William Troughton (married to Mary Ann Clifton) did not die in 1865 in Boston - so many family trees have that incorrect data recorded too.

I'll probably stick to a paper version family history - at least I know that is all reliable and correct and won't get interfered with.

Showing all 17 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion