Re: Alice Freeman

Started by John Cowles on Wednesday, January 24, 2018
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 13 posts
1/24/2018 at 11:38 PM

I see that Alice Parke was the Great-Great-Great Granddaughter of Sir James Framlingham who, in turn, was a descendent of the Plantagenet kings. In the notes included in Alice's profile, it says "Her ancestry has been traced to the early Saxon and Scottish kings, bypassing the later Norman kings." My questions: 1. Is the line to Sir James and thence to the Plantagenet kings correct? 2. What is the source for the line to the early Saxon kings? and 3. Shouldn't she be included in the canonical list of "New England Ancestors of Proven Royal Descent?" Thanks for your input! -- John Cowles

1/25/2018 at 7:07 AM

Notes here

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Freeman-1326

Disproved Royal Ancestry

A Royal Ancestry was developed and published for Alice Freeman to John, king of England. This was repeated in multiple secondary sources.[14] This line has been broken in two places. First, it has been shown that Joan de Harley, wife of John de Besford, was not a daughter of Sir Robert de Harley by his wife Joan Corbet. [18] [19] Second, Margaret ferch Llewelyn is no longer considered a granddaughter of John, king of England.

Notable Kin

She is called an ur-mother of American genealogy by Gary Boyd Roberts of the NEHGS in his Notable Kin series because of the tremendous number descendants she left, including a large number of notable and important persons. This includes the current royal family of England, as she is the 10th great-grandmother of Diana, princess of Wales. She is often the closest common ancestor for many Americans to the British royal family. She is also an ancestor of the American tycoon families of tycoon families of the Firestones, Fords, McCormicks, Rockefellers, Tiffanys, Whitneys, and J.P Morgan. [20] [21] [22] [23]

1/25/2018 at 7:08 AM

(we should make a notable kin project)

1/25/2018 at 7:42 AM

The American Genealogist vol. 87 no. 3 (July/October 2014 - pub. July 2015):91-92. Alice Freeman, Wife of John Tompson of Preston Capes, Northamptonshire, and of Robert Parke of Connecticut: New Information on Her Parents, Siblings, Children, and First Husband. , by Randy A. West.

1/25/2018 at 7:45 AM

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/soc.genealogy.medieval/UU...

-----

https://www.americanancestors.org/StaticContent/articles?searchby=a...

#68 Royal Descents, Notable Kin, and Printed Sources: Notable Descendants of Mrs. Alice Freeman Thompson Parke, RD

Gary Boyd Roberts

1/25/2018 at 8:18 PM

Found the problem!! It's @Sir James Fremingham, Baron of Fremingham and Glassenbury - he seems to be completely unsourced! Supposedly a descendant of King John through his mother, @Lady Agnes Fremington (Wingfield), and the father of @Sir Henry R. Freeman, there seems to be no proof of either connection. Henry R. Freeman is listed often on ancestry.com as being the son of Sir James, but without any source. In the notes to Henry Freeman on Wikitree the profile manager states: "Online sources have been found suggesting he could be the son of Sir James Fremingham and Elizabeth Fremingham - this is incorrect. There is no evidence this true, the name is wrong, and the location is wrong. SOURCE IN ERROR." Could a curator please fix this? Thank you! Sincerely, John Cowles

1/26/2018 at 6:58 AM

http://www.treetreetree.org.uk/FreemanAlice.htm#8 (which has a good pedigree for Alice Freeman it looks like) has no parents for Henry Freeman, of Irchester

I am disconnecting from not his parents Sir James Framlingham & Alice Framlingham and adding NN relationship locked placeholder parents.

I believe you’ve found a bogused pedigree and earned Your Geni Angel Wings

1/26/2018 at 7:54 AM

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Freeman-470 is good and lists additional resources, especially his will.

I think Henry’s children need to be checked against it.

1/26/2018 at 8:04 AM

Can we compare the profile here

Henry Freman, of Wallengrove

Also tagging Hatte Blejer on hiatus this leads to Edmund Freeman, yeoman, of Pulborough you curate and the English tree for him is looking location confused

1/26/2018 at 9:09 AM

Mae Freeman is another oddity. Various parents and maiden names on offer

1/26/2018 at 12:35 PM

Thanks for all the research to resolve the problem! I agree that Mae Freeman seems to be an oddity!

1/27/2018 at 6:15 AM

Hi, Erica,
At one point, Thomas Freeman, as father of Henry and grandfather of Alice, was denoted on GENI as being married to Jennette Millington - has this wife been discredited, or are we potentially dealing with a different couple to now include "Mae" as a potential spouse?
Doug

1/27/2018 at 1:10 PM

We’re still showing the Jeanette wife also (unless she got moved around). You nailed an exact point of confusion, All help appreciated.

The Freeman pedigree has been well studied, I believe. The problem is that it’s a big tree so needs detailing and MPs to get it straight and keep it straight.

Showing all 13 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion