John Hall - Parents probably not John Hales and Margaret Tooke of Lenham, Kent

Started by Amy Nordahl Cote on Saturday, January 27, 2018
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 2 posts
1/27/2018 at 6:55 AM

Hello all:

John Hales and Margaret Tooke married in 1611, yet John HALL was born 1609.

Here is the father currently attached to him, John Hales m. Margaret Tooke:

John Hales of Lenham

That John appears to be identical to this John Hales of Lenham, Kent, his "nephew," also b. 1575 and m. Margaret Tooke:

John Hales of Lenham

(Some confusion over grandfather/father Humphrey Sr. and Jr.)

Note: John Hales m. Margaret Tooke in 1611, and their son John Hales Jr. was christened 1625. See notes and sources on profile.

John Hall b. 1609 in Warwickshire (not the Hales estate in Lenham, Kent) appears to belong to a different family. I can't find any sources for him, but I found this about John Hall's son Richard:

"Major [Robert Randolph] Henry's maternal ancestor, Richard Hall, was born in Warwickshire, England in 1634, and came to Maryland in 1647. He acquired a large grant of land in Cecil county, and in 1670 he built Mount Welcome, which has been the family home for generations."

Men of Mark in Virginia: Ideals of American Life; a Collection of Biographies of Leading Men in the State, Volume 4
edited by Lyon Gardiner Tyler, 1908, p. 177 [Googlebooks]

(Don't know if Lyon Gardiner Tyler is considered a good source, but I added the quote to Richard's profile.)

If these Halls are from Warwickshire, they are perhaps not the same family as the Hales from Kent. If John Hales and Margaret Tooke married in 1611 and had a son John christened in 1625, John Hall b. 1609 should probably be disconnected.

Is there a known YDNA haplogroup for this Hall line? That might help sort out who belongs with whom.

Happy ancestor hunting, all.

1/27/2018 at 1:15 PM

Thanks I’ll be taking a look at this.

To answer about Lyon Gardiner. Great start point, may be dated, have found errors in his articles. Certainly a good citation.

Showing all 2 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion