Martha Ann Whitworth (Hicks) - Parents of Martha Ann Whitworth (Hicks)

Started by Barbara Clark on Tuesday, February 20, 2018
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

2/20/2018 at 11:14 AM

My fourth great-grandmother was Martha Ann Whitworth (Hicks). I have had some time to spend on research and am questioning that Clement Hicks and Mary Bailey Hicks were her parents. Clement and Mary were Quaker and the Quaker Blackwater Monthly meeting records show that they were married 17 Jan 1789 in Sussex, VA. Clement died in 1804 and Mary moved to Belmont County, Ohio with five sons and one daughter in the " seventh month of 1808". The children listed in Clement's will are Labon, James, Asa, Rachel, Joseph, Abel, Robert and Joanna. Joanna died in 1806 as a small child. I don't have a death date for Abel, perhaps he died before the family left for Ohio. Labon, Joseph and Rachel moved on from Ohio to Illinois at some point. There is no mention of Martha Ann in the will of Clement Hicks or in any Quaker records that I have found.
The birth year that I have seen for Martha Ann is 1783 which is 6 years before the marriage Clement and Mary and Martha Ann's marriage to Thomas Whitworth is shown as July 1806 in Sumner, TN. I would have expected the name Clement or, even, Bailey to have shown up in the names of the Thomas and Martha Ann Whitworth children.
Has anyone found a record that links Martha Ann to Clement and Mary Hicks?

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion