Hugh Lee, I - Hugh Lee I and Hugh Lee II

Started by Hatte Blejer (absent until Nov 1) on Wednesday, April 18, 2018
Showing all 6 posts
4/18/2018 at 6:17 PM

I had to do some pending merges in this family and noticed how sparse the sources / documentation were and how questionable some of the material was. The following is a quote from this site http://myancestrallegacy.org/getperson.php?personID=I2448&tree=... which appears to use primary sources and be reasonable.

It looks like Hugh Lee I, married to Hannah Huett, widow of Robert Huett (Hewett, Huitt, Hewitt), may not be the father of Hugh Lee II, married to Ann Barnett or Harrison.

This family of Hugh Lees could use eyes on it from someone who knows sources for Virginia better than I do.

Quote:

Hugh Lee (I) "The Immigrant" was married to Hannah Huett (Hewett) who was the widow of Robert Huitt (many spellings found for Hewitt). Hugh (I) was born in 1609 (Baptismal Record 10-15-1609) in Cheshire, England. He married Hannah about 1648-50. Hugh (I) had died by 1661 when Hannah had taken over Hugh's shipping business and had remarried. It was thought that Hugh (I) was the father of Hugh Lee, Sr. (II), who was married to Ann Harrison (possibly Barnett), but that still has yet to be proven so we aren't sure if Hugh (I) is related to us. Our first record of Hugh Lee (I) in America is in 1645 in Kent Island and St.Mary's Co. In 1648, Hugh Lee and John Pites witnessed the will of George Higgins. The case you mention of John Barnes having given Charles Ashton's maide the pox is found in Beverly Fleet's VIRGINIA COLONIAL ABSTRACTS, VOL. I, NORTHUMBERLAND COUNTY RECORDS, 1652-1655 and that record also states that Hugh and Hannah Lee both gave their depositions in the case on 20 May 1653.

Hugh Lee, Jr. (III) (born ca 1670; died 1739 in Prince George Co., VA), was also married to an Ann (Tatum). Ann
Tatum was the daughter of Samuel and Mary Tatum. Hugh (III) came to Charles City Co., VA about 1673 with his parents, Hugh Lee, Sr. (II), and Ann Harrison Lee. Counting Hugh Lee (I) there were four Hugh Lees in succession in our LEE line. Hugh (III) also had a son named Hugh.

http://myancestrallegacy.org/getperson.php?personID=I2448&tree=...

5/28/2018 at 2:40 PM

Per that url connection: It is a site set up by Floyd Oscar Crandall - - - MyAncestralLegacy is the "Genealogy of the Moody and Crandall, Hood and Linder families." - - - There is also information relating to his wife's family.

A note on that site: "Caution! Not all the information on these pages is authenticated as yet, although I have worked many years at checking and recording sources. If you find errors, have feedback, or can offer additional information, please forward it for inclusion in the project. You can contact me through the contact page."

5/28/2018 at 2:45 PM

Correction: The site was set up by Myron Mike Crandall for his & his wife Ruthie"s families. Crandall-Pember & Linder & Hood.

3/5/2020 at 8:29 PM

I’m not finding any evidence to support “any” children of Hugh Lee or his wife Hannah [Hewitt] [Lee] Price. They didn’t marry until 1651 or so and her children by 1st marriage were already grown. Both Hugh and Hannah are mentioned in records, selling tobacco, overseeing orphans, giving away heifers ... and no children are. mentioned. Maybe Hugh ll was a son by an earlier marriage but he could just as well be a nephew etc.

I propose disconnecting all his currently attached children.

3/6/2020 at 11:56 AM

Go ahead Erica Howton

3/6/2020 at 1:25 PM

I’m tossed up about Hugh Lee ll. The notes make it clear he’s unproven, but the circumstantial evidence is good for them being at least related. So I’m not sure what the best presentation on Geni is.

Showing all 6 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion