John Floyd - Tithable proof of etnicity

Started by Bellinda Gail Myrick-Barnett on Friday, June 29, 2018
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing 1-30 of 81 posts

https://www.jstor.org/stable/4242532?seq=3#page_scan_tab_contents lists this John Floyd as tihable which without the added negro would default to Currrituck native, except this person's dad was one of a very unique circle of early traders at Ft. Henry in the company of Hill and Bland and only they could trade with John Floyd and only at 2 places, Ft Henry and John Floyd's house in the Country of Accomack. This profile would be the son of that trader and that would mean that the mother, whose legal status was bestowed on this John Floyd of this profile, tithable, Before anyone thinks everyone was tithable, they were not. How do we know? We have the 1666 Census and the tithables were about 1/4 of the New Kent census. Therefore, the mother of this John Floyd would of the Ocaneechi Band due to the fact that it was the trade language used at that fort and those were to natives who were trading on the side of the natives. ~ ~ ~ https://www.jstor.org/stable/4242532?seq=3#page_scan_tab_contents

Stated parentage is actually guesswork and possibly inaccurate. What is *known* about John Floyd is that he was named as a headright on 30 July 1660 at Northampton Co, VA, one of 20 people brought into the county (it was officially all Northampton at that point) by one John Wilcocks.

This does *not* necessarily prove that he was an immigrant from the Old Country - instances are known in which the headright system was abused to count people imported from other Virginia counties (i.e. mainside, such as New Kent). Technically they shouldn't have been counted twice, but if a system can be fudged, it will be.

I would also like to remind people that Northampton County (Northampton and Accomack Counties, nowadays) is completely isolated from the rest of Virginia by the Chesapeake Bay. The only way to get there from New Kent County was by water. It could be done, but wasn't undertaken lightly or casually - there had to be a very good reason to go there.

Necotowance signed a 1646 treaty where he would deal with Bland and Wood and Floyd traders in 2 locations: Ft Henry and John Floyd's house: http://www.virginiaplaces.org/settleland/bland.html By the next decade, RIce Hooe, (as he signed his name) /Hughes of New Kent (say it like How) the immigrant from Wales and Burgess who obtained a license patent for the same area joining #Bland #Wood #Floyd Jamestown Immigrant "Fliod"....and it likely his son who is the trader mentioned in this article.... https://www.geni.com/p…/Nathaniel-Floid/6000000026301016898

I think we've got the wrong John Floyd. His home is described as being "across the Appomattox River" - NOT in Accomack County at all. (Please consult a map!)

APPOMATTOX is not ACCOMACK.

Is not anywhere NEAR Accomack.

In the history records of the National Archives, "The Country of Appomattox", have this Fellowship of Traders listed in records and where they traded and with whom. It includes a large area of the time as Virginia in included the whole of the colonies in those decades. You consult a map.

Following and reporting to known historians who have this information and will confirm.

See the 1666 list of tithables which shows this John Floyd as FPOC and he played an integral role in settling things down after Basse's Choice War.

I did indeed check the list of tithables. John Floyd is listed with John Wilkins. Two tithables in that group. NEITHER ONE NOTED AS BLACK.

You seem to be under the bizarre assumption that EVERYONE listed after Manuel Drigg was black. NO, THEY WERE NOT.

ONLY those people SPECIFICALLY listed as "Negro" were black.

You might have noticed, far down in the right side column, the name "Left. Col. William Waters". His parents were English, both of them. He's the son of Lt. Edward Waters, of Willan, Hertfordshire, and Grace Neale (*not* "O'Neil") from Brackley, Northamptonshire.

Sorry to bust up your pretty theory, but it's built on quicksand.

YOU HAVE THE WRONG JOHN FLOYD.

And since this may originate from MY error (making what now appears to be a very, vary bad guess), I will correct it and REMOVE John Floyd of Northampton from his (mis?)assigned parents.

APPOMATTOX IS NOT ACCOMACK.

HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO REPEAT THIS???

LOOK AT A MAP! LOOK AT A MAP! LOOK AT A MAP!

Look at a map of the WHOLE state of Virginia, not one itty-bitty part of it!!!

I am fed UP TO HERE with the kind of geographical illiteracy that ASS-umes people could walk dryshod across the CHESAPEAKE BAY.

a. Tithable doesn not equate to black . (Source Jack Nickens MD)
b. I can read a Fry Map that is not in ALL Caps.
c. You have a mistaken notion that this John Floyd was not the Trader at Ft Henry.
d. A team of researchers are coming on to this discussion.
e. I am asking for management of this profile from the General Manager.

"John" was by this time neck-and-neck with "William" for Number One Most Popular Boys' Name in English-Speaking Countries. "Floyd" (and permutations such as "Flood", "Lloyd", "Flud", etc.) was not all that uncommon. To think there was one and only one John Floyd in the entire Virginia Colony circa 1640-1660 is probably a mistake.

If you will recheck your original post, you will find it sadly GIGO:

* "lists this John Floyd as tithable which without the added negro would default to Currrituck native" (*what* added negro? Why default to NOT-Anglo?)

* "John Floyd's house in the Country of Accomack" [sic and sic]

* "We have the 1666 Census and the tithables were about 1/4 of the New Kent census" (except the source cited is the *Northampton County* census, *not* New Kent County - and if the 1666 census for New Kent County escaped the 1787 torching by John Price Posey, it's a minor miracle) http://www.vagenweb.org/newkent/

* "Therefore, the mother of this John Floyd would of the Ocaneechi Band" (total non-sequitur)

===========================================================

The parents of John Floyd of Northampton County *are not known*. He was listed as a "headright", meaning 1) he didn't pay his passage over, somebody paid it for him and took it out in indentured servitude, and 2) he was brought into Northampton County from "outside". He *may* have been Welsh (Lloyd/Floyd was originally Welsh name), or not. He is consistently recorded in Northampton County from 1660 until 1687 (when he died).

Let me spell something else out. You are going on about events in the 1640s - when John Floyd of Northampton County would have been a *child* (he is guesstimated to have been born circa 1640, plus or minus about five years).

If there is any connection between John Floyd of Northampton County and any other John Floyd, it has never been found.

https://www.genealogy.com/ftm/s/t/e/Pat-M-Stevens-iv/GENE6-0001.html
p. 370 The Bona Nova arrived in Va. 4 Dec 1619 w
this is from our floyd root page general pat stevens is kin and claims our story

Biography, Vol. XXVIII, No. 2, Apr. 1920).

Bellinda the FTM link gets me into spam.

But if you’re tracking back on Abadiah Davis Floyd, the notes in this database may be helpful.

https://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=stev...

Shows her husband as William Floyd, son of Edward of Henrico, Son of Edward.

The John Floyd trader at Ft Henry in 1646 is too early for any of these, including John of Northampton.

Or so I see so far.

In other words, I would suggest using “create a branch” for the John Floyd, trader, and go from there. If he’s active in 1646 he’s born no later than 1620, making it impossible for him to have been the same person as John Floyd of Northampton.

Dispute the 1640 circa birthdate. Should be 1620.

(Says a large group team)

The y claimant direct to him will get have test results in fhe fall and will be intering 1620 circa bd. into FTDNA

Floyd Family Association sends this. Original Floyd - - Concerning Nathaniel Floyd, I've found only one passenger list>www.ministrytoday.org/family/belyea/ships/ships-london/passengers-l... included Nathaniell Floid on the Bona Nova (for 'before 1624/25' ), and also the census list which showed this Nathaniell Floid to be a "servant" of Mr. Edward Blaney of Blaneys Plant, James City. This makes me wonder where the information has come from that causes many people to believe he is the same Nathaniel Floyd who is said to have owned the ship Nova and brought passengers over later.If you have any further information that links William Floyd (b abt. 1720) to any of the earlier Floyds who are alleged to be his ancesters I would enjoy hearing from you."(Editor, no I do not have anything to add)

Jason Floyd, " He was a servant and his titable status of at least mixed native ethnicity went down the line in Northampton". ydna will arrive at the end of 2019.

Floyd Family Association sends this. Original Floyd - - Concerning Nathaniel Floyd, I've found only one passenger list>www.ministrytoday.org/family/belyea/ships/ships-london/passengers-l... included Nathaniell Floid on the Bona Nova (for 'before 1624/25' ), and also the census list which showed this Nathaniell Floid to be a "servant" of Mr. Edward Blaney of Blaneys Plant, James City. This makes me wonder where the information has come from that causes many people to believe he is the same Nathaniel Floyd who is said to have owned the ship Nova and brought passengers over later.If you have any further information that links William Floyd (b abt. 1720) to any of the earlier Floyds who are alleged to be his ancesters I would enjoy hearing from you."(Editor, no I do not have anything to add)

Jason Floyd, " He was a servant and his titable status of at least mixed native ethnicity went down the line in Northampton". ydna will arrive at the end of 2019.

" 'At court holden 30th July 1660, a certificate is granted to Mr. John Wilcocks for ye transportation of 20 persons into this County whose names follow (1000 acres).'John Flfoyd [sic] was among the twenty (Virginia Magazine of History & Biography, Vol. XXVIII, No. 2, Apr. 1920).In August 1666, John Floyd was on the "List of Tithables" in Northampton County (VA Magazine of History & Biography, Vol. X, No. 3, Jan. 1902). In 1668, John Floyd was granted land in Northampton County, Virginia.In 1681 & 1687, he received patents for land on Hogg Island; again in 1687 for land on Prout's Island."
And about Nathaniel Floyd is this, kindly from Barbara Taylor Floyd, <barbkeithfloyd@shaw.ca>, October, 2004 who is working on her husband's Floyds:"Concerning Nathaniel Floyd, I've found only one passenger list>www.ministrytoday.org/family/belyea/ships/ships-london/passengers-l... included Nathaniell Floid on the Bona Nova (for 'before 1624/25' ), and also the census list which showed this Nathaniell Floid to be a "servant" of Mr. Edward Blaney of Blaneys Plant, James City. This makes me wonder where the information has come from that causes many people to believe he is the same Nathaniel Floyd who is said to have owned the ship Nova and brought passengers over later.If you have any further information that links William Floyd (b abt. 1720) to any of the earlier Floyds who are alleged to be his ancesters I would enjoy hearing from you."(Editor, no I do not have anything to add) ';.

Now we're getting *exactly* the same argument that's going on about the ancestors of Charlemagne, and for the same reason - no or not enough reliable information.

"They've gotta be related because same name" DOES NOT FLY. Not with names as common as "John" and "Floyd". (Something like "Algernon Smithers", there would be a better case.)

Let's look at Mr. John Floyd of Northampton County. Brought in (as a single man) c. 1660 (possibly a tad earlier), bought land 1668, named constable 1669, married 1674, had six children between 1674-1684, died 1687.

He wouldn't be doing much between c. 1660 and c. 1667 except working his debt off and saving what he could out of his earnings.

Indentured servitude was *usually* a young person's game - there were some notable exceptions, but the average was early to mid 20s. (No, Jason, he did not come "in his own boat" - he did not own a boat, and he did not even buy his own ticket. And the Chesapeake Bay is MUCH bigger than a mere river or lake, unless you include the Great Lakes.)

And one other thing: early on, most indentured servants were *white*. Don't get it fixed in your head that "indentured servant" MUST mean "black" - it ain't necessarily so.

I checked with the "Free African Americans" website - they list Floods (starting in the 18th century) but no Floyds in any century. http://freeafricanamericans.com/Virginia_NC.htm

As to William Floyd "of Accomac", I suspect that he was the victim of a Bad-Merge, a long time ago, between a Henrico County William Floyd and one of the William Floyds in Northampton County - possibly the William Floyd b. 1715 who was the son of a Hugh or "Hew" Floyd.

You'll notice that the rest of the family are all Henrico County born and bred.

Can we get a list of John of Northampton’s children please ?

I am disconnecting Sarah Rawley as his daughter because she was born in Somerset England in 1670 according to terrible sources, which precludes her from being born to a Virginia immigrant.

Can do. He is recorded as having *one* wife, a Mary (possibly Berry - hmm, any connection with the adventuress Olive Eaton? *Her* last husband was a Berry....)

Their children were:

1. John Floyd II+1 b. c 1674, d. b 14 Nov 1738
2. Charles Floyd+1 b. c 1676, d. b 17 Feb 1718/19
3. Berry or Benjamin Floyd+1 b. c 1678, d. b 11 Dec 1750
4. Matthew Floyd Sr.+1 b. c 1680, d. b 9 Jun 1752
5. Sarah Floyd1 b. c 1682
6. Esther Floyd1 b. c 1684

Those are all the ones who were living as of 2 April 1687. (The majority of the references to child #3 give his name as Berry, including his father's will, but a few of them cite him(?) as "Benjamin".)

Sarah Floyd was born c. 1682, but no references to her beyond her father's will have been found. The implications aren't good.

Great help.

Can we look now at the wives & children of

John Floyd, Il

I think we need to disconnect Esther Hester Bibby from parents. Born 1660 ish is too soon.

Showing 1-30 of 81 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion