Robert II, King of Scots - My relation to Robert II, King of Scots varied without using the push pin tool

Started by Terri Lynn Scott on Monday, July 2, 2018
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 15 posts
7/2/2018 at 7:33 AM

I looked up my relationship to Robert II, King of Scots & the first time it said "Robert II, King of Scots is your second cousin 20 times removed" & showed the connection through several of my Edmonson ancestors. The second time (NOT using the push pin tool), it said, "Robert II, King of Scots is your 20th great grandfather". I started comparing the ancestors & discovered they went through the Lanham line of my ancestors.

It now throws into question all the cousin relations found to others, who may as this case turned out to be a great grand parent. I realize there can be several routes to get to an ancestor, but assumed that geni's program would take me to the shortest & most direct route to a direct ancestor.

7/2/2018 at 7:43 AM

He is my 20th Great Grandfather, not cousins

7/2/2018 at 8:12 AM

Hi Terri,
I have encountered the same problem when using the Geni database and search engine. This has happened with several of my ancestors, so yours is not just an isolated occurrence. I have had ancestors that showed as barely related one time and then the same person shows as a great grandparent through a slightly different path.
Bottom line is; I don't know why this happens, but the results seem to fluctuate over time.
I am in the process of verification of each step along the way, a tedious job but interesting.

7/2/2018 at 8:58 AM

Hi Terry,
I did some research on my lines to Robert II, and found that I am related to him in two ways: through my Grandfather Parnell, Robert II is my 17th Great Grandfather; but through my Grandmother Weber, he is also my 20th Great Grandfather. All of the variabilities that I have found in my tree have been connected in some way to these two Maternal Grandparents, whose lines cross in several places in my tree and extend way, way back to some really amazing people (at least according to the Geni database)! If you are also directly related to Robert II, we would be cousins and I suspect that you will also find some amazing facts as you explore your family tree! I have been able to trace my tree all the way to Noah and beyond with both of the lines I mentioned above.
Good luck exploring!

7/2/2018 at 11:52 AM

Hi Terry,
Yes, the same has happened to me. It turns out Robert de Bruce is my 21 and 22 great grandfather. He most always shows with my mothers lineage to him, instead of my fathers.

7/2/2018 at 12:03 PM

Hi, I haven't had those problems, Geni shows every time: Robert II, King of Scots is your 18th great grandfather. That's my father lineage & every time been the same.

7/2/2018 at 1:42 PM

Hi Terri! Remember that people are adding to Geni all the time and merging duplicate profiles all the time! It's very likely that a new person was merged in that gave you a more direct line to Robert II.

7/3/2018 at 5:57 AM

Robert II, King of Scots is your 19th great grandfather.
You
→ Alice Childers
your mother → Charles Childers
her father → Mary Martha Childers
his mother → James Uriah Seaton
her father → Kenner Houser Seaton
his father → James B. Seaton
his father → William Seaton
his father → James Seaton
his father → George Seaton
his father → Henry Seaton
his father → Lady Margaret Hay
his mother → Francis Hay, 9th Earl of Erroll
her father → Jean Hay
his mother → William Hay, 6th Earl of Erroll
her father → William Hay, 5th Earl of Erroll
his father → Christian Lyon
his mother → John Lyon, 3rd Lord Glamis
her father → Patrick Lyon, 1st Lord Glamis
his father → Sir John Lyon of Glamis, Kt.
his father → Johanna “Jean” Stewart, Princess of Scots
his mother → Robert II, King of Scots
her father

7/4/2018 at 6:55 AM

As others have suggested, don't underestimate the effect of thousands of edits taking place each hour. A standard Ancestral Tree can change dramatically for no obvious reason and that is why I rely on SmartCopy's HistoryLink. If you look at this link https://historylinktools.herokuapp.com/history?profile=profile-g600... you should see over 2,700 matches with g.grandparents in 25 generations which contain around 100 Pending Profiles and Parental Conflicts (highlighted in red). Until these, particularly the Parental Conflicts, are resolved, it is obvious that they will interfere with the ancestral line. Clearly, just one incorrect set of parents can send the tree off in a different direction.

I subject my ancestral lines regularly to a 'conflict-wash' and I encourage everyone else to do the same as the overall effect of laundering out these conflicts must have a positive effect on many thousands of other members trees. The beauty of HistoricLink is that each 'red-lines' can be used as a link to the offending profile for fixing.

The tree can be saved to a PDF so that the links can be cleared up at leisure but I would like to see a feature that enabled just the Conflicts being saved for later repairs.

7/18/2018 at 5:59 AM

It says on Geni that "Robert II, King of Scots is your 6th great uncle's 12th great grandfather," but I was able to trace Robert Stewart II, King of Scots [Gaelic Name, Roibert II Stiùbhairt] and ELIZABETH Mure as my 23rd Great Grandparents. I guess I have further verification to do because my research is similar but different than Geni. It's probably my fault for being lazy lately.

Robert II, King of Scots is Raúl Castro Chacón, Capitán de Navio's fifth cousin 19 times removed!
Raúl Castro Chacón, Capitán de Navio
Tú → Raúl Castro Puga
your father → Aurora Puga del Valle
his mother → Raimundo Puga Puga
her father → José María Puga Sepúlveda
his father → José de Puga y Figueroa
his father → Petronila Córdoba-Figueroa Solar
his mother → Mariana del Solar Roa
her mother → Luisa Roa Soto Aguilar
her mother → Francisco de Roa Gascó de Velasco
her father → Luisa Gascó de Velasco Godoy Rozas
his mother → Francisco Gascó de Velasco, Capitán
her father → Luisa Velasco Castilla de Mendoza
his mother → Luis de Velasco y Ruiz de Alarcón, II Virrey de la Nueva España y XI Virrey de Navarra
her father → Antonio Velasco Manrique, Señor de Salinas del Río Pisuerga
his father → Pedro de Velasco y Carrillo de Mendoza, Señor de Salinas del Río Pisuerga
his father → Hernando de Velasco y Solier, 1er. Señor de Siruela
his father → María de Solier, Señora de Villalpando
his mother → Countess María Tellez Alfonso de Meneses, Tizon
her mother → María Jofre de Loaysa
her mother → Jufre III de Loaiza, I señor de Petrel
her father → Jufré de Loaisa, II
his father → Jufré I de Loaisa
his father → Constance, duchess of Brittany
his mother → Margaret de Huntingdon, Princess of Scotland
her mother → Marjorie of Huntingdon
her sister → Bethóc (Beatrix) nic Gille Crist, Countess of Angus
her daughter → Alexander Stewart, 4th High Steward of Scotland
her son → James Stewart, 5th High Steward of Scotland
his son → Walter Stewart, 6th High Steward of Scotland
his son → Robert II, King of Scots
his son

7/18/2018 at 11:01 AM

Robert II, King of Scots is my 18th Great Grandfather. Geni is not perfect and will sometimes choose the the path that is not the closest. People will add and subtract from the tree and this will cause a problem also. If you think you have the right Path; copy it, because the next time you check the geni it may show a different path!

Francis:
Concuerdo con tu planteamiento.

1/2/2022 at 3:44 PM

Geni should show direct ancestral relationships first. If none, show aunt/uncle/cousin. If none, show by marriage relationships.

Robert II, King of Scots is Tammy Lynn Driver's 20th great grandfather!
Tammy Lynn Driver
You → Cecil Wayne Driver
your father → Knox Driver
his father → William Wesley Driver
his father → Amanda Driver
his mother → Sarah Anne Lowe
her mother → Thomas Lowe
her father → Charles Finley Lowe, Sr.
his father → Verlinda Gibbs
his mother → Anne Finley
her mother → Charles Finley
her father → Col. Robert Finley
his father → James Finley
his father → Rev. James Finley
his father → Janet Hayes
his mother → John Hay
her father → Isabel Gordon, Countess of Erroll
his mother → Annabella of Scotland
her mother → James I of Scotland
her father → Robert III, King of Scots
his father → Robert II, King of Scots
his father

Private User
1/3/2022 at 7:54 AM

Robert II, King of Scots is your 17th great grandfather.
You
→ Marjorie Ann McLean
your mother → James Forrest McLean
her father → Jared Sylvester McLean
his father → Nancy Ann McLean
his mother → Samuel Armstrong
her father → Col. Joseph K Armstrong
his father → Elizabeth Armstrong
his mother → James Finley
her father → John Finley
his father → Robert Finley
his father → John Finley