Season 5 of Finding Your Roots

Started by Kevin Lawrence Hanit on Sunday, August 5, 2018
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 51 posts
8/5/2018 at 3:54 PM

I have updated the project to include the missing Season 4 and have also added in the upcoming Season 5.

All of the profiles in seasons 4 and 5 that have Geni profiles have been linked in the body of the project. There are a few that are missing links to their Geni profiles as I could not locate them.

I will update this discussion with the names of the ones that are missing from Season 5 after I finish my dinner.

8/5/2018 at 4:21 PM

I think it would be great to also include African American Lives (1 and 2) and Faces of America. Has this been discussed at all? I'd be happy to put the information up.

8/5/2018 at 4:24 PM

Jarrett Ross (112-1701-241-22),

If you can find that information, then go ahead and put it in.

8/5/2018 at 4:26 PM

Here is the list of the missing guests:

George R. R. Martin
Michael K. Williams
Ann Curry
Lisa Ling
Kal Penn
Alejandro Innaritu
Kehinde Wiley

8/5/2018 at 4:50 PM
8/5/2018 at 5:41 PM

Erica Howton,

Thanks and have added him to the overview.

8/5/2018 at 5:46 PM

There is one more that is missing from Season 5 and it is:
Tig Notaro https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tig_Notaro

8/6/2018 at 6:21 PM

George R.R. Martin Added to project, more tree building / editing appreciated.

Private User
8/7/2018 at 7:45 AM

Jarrett Ross (112-1701-241-22), I would love to help you with those projects if you get them going!

Erica Howton, GRRM was on my Banned Authors wishlist, so thank youuuuu. :)

8/7/2018 at 7:46 AM

Erica Howton,

He has been added to the overview.

8/7/2018 at 11:59 AM

Thanks to Private for getting GRRM connected to the world tree.

I suspect Dr Gates will highlight his Italian & Irish. I hope they filmed in Bayonne at Christmas, the displays are amazing.

8/7/2018 at 12:23 PM

Private User,

Jarrett's request to me was added to the bottom of the Finding Your Roots project. We both know exactly why Dr. Gates created Finding Your Roots in the first place. He told us directly in Orlando last summer.

1/8/2019 at 7:04 PM

George R.R. Martin On my PBS right now.

1/8/2019 at 7:44 PM

There's a problem with George R.R. Martin's tree on Geni as the grandfather doesn't fit. George's DNA came back with no Italian, but 22.5% Ashkenazi Jewish.

Andy Samberg's mother Marjorie Isabel Samberg is the real reason why he did the show. She's Jewish-Italian. Her biological mother was a German Jew and her biological father was an Italian of Sicilian origin.

1/8/2019 at 8:02 PM

Here's the updated list of missing guests for season 5, with episode air date in ().

Michael K. Williams (Jan 15)
Ann Curry and Lisa Ling (Jan 22)
Kai Penn (Jan 29)
Tig Notaro (Feb 19)
Joe Madison (April 9)

1/8/2019 at 8:03 PM

Here's the Wikipedia page for Joe Madison: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Madison

1/8/2019 at 8:09 PM

George R.R. Martin tree updated.

1/8/2019 at 8:58 PM

I'm pretty sure Ellen Lora Yolande Tessman Berger is Andy's biological maternal grandmother.

Private User
1/8/2019 at 10:00 PM

Marjorie Isabel Samberg hasn't been active in a few years, but I'm not sure that we can connect the profiles without her consent? Maybe she'll see this thread and let us know. :)

Private User
1/8/2019 at 11:23 PM

This is such a great read: http://www.dannen.com/lostlove/

Also indicates that we should be able to connect the Philipsborns to British nobility; look for the part about Lady Reading.

1/8/2019 at 11:37 PM

Great read. Thank you - I notice from the date stamps it’s “breaking news” in some ways!

1/9/2019 at 5:15 AM

John Dale Kessel,

Do you want to work on the Sicilian paternal side of Marjorie Isabel Samberg?

1/9/2019 at 8:05 AM

I have been working on the Philip(p)sborn and von Philipsborn tree(s) for years. I'm in touch with the Samberg and Maida families and have been waiting to connect them until the show aired, which of course happened yesterday. In the name of ethics, I'm in the process of waiting to obtain permission to make these connections and urge everyone to show restraint until permission is obtained. Looking forward to collaborating if/that occurs.

1/9/2019 at 8:18 AM

Judith Berlowitz,

Thanks for the update on this.

1/9/2019 at 12:35 PM

I've gone ahead and connected the Sambergs to Philipsborn and Maida. They obviously are not interested in keeping the information private, after the show has aired. No reason not to get the tree fixed and continue the work so everyone can learn more.

1/9/2019 at 2:19 PM

Agreeing with Randy Schoenberg's move and his philosophy of genealogy. I do hesitate in cases in which living family members have either expressed a refusal to deal with their discovered biological relatives or do not wish to harm another living relative. I have three of these cases weighing on me and may bring up these issues in another discussion. In the Philipsborn-Maida situation, all involved seem very happy with the connection.

1/9/2019 at 2:23 PM

The Mond branch of the Philipsborn family - including Reading, & Melchett nobility - are pretty well documented. Ida Philipsborn (Mond) Ida Philipsborn was the grandmother of Ellen Lora Yolande Tessman Berger

1/9/2019 at 4:37 PM

Andy Samberg would never have done the show if his mother wasn't willing to go along with him and have them possibly uncover her biological family. In the end, the show did exactly that.

1/16/2019 at 4:16 PM

Kevin Lawrence Hanit

I added a bit to the Sicilian parts after you posted this. I haven't had a chance to spend a lot of time though.

Showing 1-30 of 51 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion