Christina Duchess of Mecklenburg, Princess of Sweden - "Far fetched alliance..." - disputed father of Christina von Mecklenburg

Started by Private User on Wednesday, August 8, 2018
Problem with this page?

Participants:

• Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni member

Related Projects:

Showing all 5 posts
Private User
8/8/2018 at 1:10 AM

While researching my ancestors' lines at MedLands I came across an interesting information. It says that the fife of Heinrich Borwin II's wife, Princess Christina von Mecklenburg is, in fact, illegitimate daughter of William "The Lion", King of Scots and his mistress.

---
12. CHRISTINE (-after 20 May 1248). Her parentage and marriage has been researched by Andrew MacEwen[604]. “Nicolaus princeps Sclauie” confirmed that “bone memorie dominus Henricus de Werle pater meus” had donated property to Kloster Amelungsborn, for the souls of “sue et matris mee dominie Christine necnon pie memorie domini Burwini aui mei et patrui mei Nicolai”, by charter dated to [1232][605]. Pope Innocent IV permitted “nobili mulieri --- Sorori...Regis Scotie” to enter Doberan monastery, founded by “nobilis vir B. de Rozstoc maritus tuus”, to pray, dated 20 May 1248[606]. m HEINRICH BORWIN [II] von Mecklenburg, son of HEINRICH BORWIN [I] Herr von Mecklenburg & his [first] wife Mathilde von Sachsen (-5 Jun 1226, bur Doberan).
---

The main source provided is MacEwen, A. B. W. ‘A Far-Fetched Alliance: the Marriage of Borwin of Rostock and Cristina of Scotland, Foundations, Vol. 7 (June 2015), pp. 3-24.

It truly does strike me as a far-fetched conclusions and I just don't see it being true, but... who knows? Did anyone research that line or encounter MacEwen's article on said topic? What does it say?

Private User
8/8/2018 at 2:59 AM

So is she possibly NOT Sverkers daughter? There were possibly even two other daughters, Margaret and Christina, married to Witzlav of Rügen and Henry II, Lord of Mecklenburg ("Henry Borwin" in some later texts), respectively. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sverker_II_of_Sweden

I thought I saw some mention of her in the pages I have listed here, but will take a while to check. https://www.geni.com/projects/Mecklenburgischer-Adel-in-der-Fr%25C3...

Private User
8/8/2018 at 3:08 AM

No was a later Princess in those pages, to do with match making :)

Private User
8/8/2018 at 5:23 AM

MacEwen has done a wild guessing, similar to take two random names in a phone book on the same page and call them related. The sources are not good anyway, and it's built on a lot of circumstantial evidence or indications, summarized below.

"With his first wife, the Danish noble Benedicta Ebbesdatter (Galen, apparently not Hvide as otherwise alleged,[citation needed] b. c. 1165/70, d. 1200), whom he married before 1190 when yet living in Denmark, Sverker had at least one well-attested daughter, Helena Sverkersdotter. There were possibly further children, such as Karl Sverkersson who according to Norwegian sources married a daughter of king Sverre of Norway and lost his life in 1198;[18] his position is however doubtful, and if he was King Sverker's son he died in adolescence at the latest. There were possibly even two other daughters, Margaret and Christina, married to Witzlav of Rügen and Henry II, Lord of Mecklenburg ("Henry Borwin" in some later texts), respectively.[19] The genealogical reconstruction is based on vague contemporary statements[20] – however, Margaret and Christina may just have been Sverker's first wife's kinswomen.

The second marriage in 1200 with Ingegerd Birgersdotter of Bjelbo, daughter of the Folkunge Jarl Birger Brosa, produced a son and heir, Jon (1201–1222), who was chosen king of Sweden 1216 as John I of Sweden.[21]

His attested daughter Helena Sverkersdotter married (earl) Sune Folkason of the family of Bjelbo, justiciar of Västergötland. Their daughters Catherine of Ymseborg and Benedicta of Bjelbo became pawns in marriages to gain Swedish succession after 1222, when the Sverker dynasty became extinct in male line.[22] Catherine was married to the rival dynasty's heir Eric XI of Sweden but they remained apparently childless. Benedikte married Svantepolk of Viby and had several daughters, who married Swedish noblemen. Several Swedish noble families claim descent from Benedikte."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sverker_II_of_Sweden#Family

Margaretha Sverkerdatter, av Sverige

Private User
8/8/2018 at 6:10 AM

I'm sorry. I cleaned up these paths a bit and I believe that Stoislav had too many Borante's as his sons, and by mistake I disconnected the one that should've been left there. I will look for the sources later today, but for now I've done it the way it was before. Sorry again.

Showing all 5 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion