Jefferson Daniel Williams - Inconsistencies for his parents

Started by Michael Rutledge on Tuesday, December 18, 2018
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 12 posts
12/18/2018 at 8:44 AM

I have heard that Jefferson Daniel Williams is a Jr of Jefferson Daniel Williams, and that Sr married Elizabeth Hunt. It seems odd that he would be born 9.5 months after a sibling, though I guess possible, and would have required a move from one area of Georgia to another.

I think he is not the son of Captain William Andrew Williams. Would like any information that others have on this.

Private User
12/7/2019 at 7:52 AM

I've disconnected all possible parents, since I can't find satisfactory evidence for any of the contenders.

I've also seen the Jefferson Daniel Williams, Sr. and Elizabeth Hunt assertion, but I've never seen it cited, and when I've asked people where they got that info, the answer is always "from someone else."

3/17/2020 at 8:41 PM

Thanks Ashley. I missed this message, and now come back to it. Agree. Would like to figure this dead end out, but too few clues. I will start with working through all the land grant info that I have for William and Daniel Sr. and see where that leads.

Private User
3/17/2020 at 8:59 PM

Michael, I was able to track down the information on Daniel's parentage. It comes from John M. Caudle's book "Wiley Thomas Williams and His Descendants." He did oral interviews with the family, which is how he was able to find the names of Daniel's parents. The book is available through the Alabama state library's genealogy division.

Private User
3/17/2020 at 9:15 PM

Sorry, correction: The Alabama Department of Archives and History, not the state library.

He learned from the family that both Sr. and Jr. were named for Thomas Jefferson. Sr.'s father was Richard Williams.

Caudle did NOT mention whether Elizabeth Hunt was Jr.'s mother. I'll delete that profile again.

3/18/2020 at 7:32 AM

Thanks for the consideration. I struggle with challenging any info, since I don't like my info challenged, but I think it makes a better genealogy when I can substantiate the info. No concerns with leaving Elizabeth Hunt as the wife of Daniel Williams Sr, I heard from another source that was her name, but again, no documentation or substantiation. That was supposed to be from an interview of Sledge Mimms Robertson, the Husband of Catherine Missouri "Dolly" Robertson( nee Williams) daughter of Daniel Williams jr. I am seeking more info on that.

I will spend some time with the online information from the Alabama department of archives and history and see when I can get by there for a look at their books. Maybe late this year.

Daniel jr and sr are my 2nd and 3rd Great Grandfathers. Through Nancy Eugenia Williams marriage to Thomas Joseph Rutledge. I provided info to document that online to the keepers of that profile.

Greatly appreciate your help with Daniels father. That has been a roadblock for some time, and I have been digging and guessing. With a name, I can dig deeper.

Private User
12/1/2021 at 4:30 PM

Michael Rutledge, Daniel Jr. is my third-great-grandfather. I descend through his son Wiley Thomas ("Tommy").

On Daniel Jr.'s profile, we have a block of text that apparently came from a GEDCOM import, and it's about Daniel's Civil War service. Do you happen to know his service details? There are so many Daniel Williamses in Alabama, but it looks like ours was held at Elmira, so that should help us narrow down which one is him.

I wish I could find things like obituaries, written histories, etc. about this family. I'm in New England and haven't been to Alabama since I think 2012, so I'm doing what I can from afar. But the names are so common that searching can be difficult.

12/3/2021 at 5:53 PM

Have you seen all the documents that I posted, including the obituary of marina slaughter, a daughter of Daniel Williams. I posted a lot, though not all of then. And pictures of daniel jr and his wife. I think more are on family search than geni. I would like to find the book, but will not go to montgomery Alabama anytime soon and cannot find it in their book catalog online. My email is mjr0627@gmail if you would like to use regular email. I can share more docs with you that way.

12/4/2021 at 10:57 AM

Looking back at notes on this. Have you ever seen the documents from Caudle's book "Wiley Thomas Williams and His Descendants.". I never have and cannot find them online. I am not sure if this is a published book or a genealogy submitted to the Library. Anyway. I added a recent document that I found in Edgefield on some letters concerning Daniel Williams. Regarding your question on Civil War service. I know someone who may have letters from Daniel when he was imprisoned during the war. Will see if they can find them and photo and share. They are important, but so far, no luck getting them to pull out and share them.

Private User
12/4/2021 at 11:45 AM

It's self-published but he did give his sources...let me see if I can find a digitized copy for you. I haven't looked at it in a while, but from what I recall, he typically says where he got his info, and in some cases says very clearly "I'm not sure about this." I believe there are two versions -- one from 1984, one from 1988 -- so the degree of citation might depend on which one's being looked at.

I know absolutely no family on that side, even though it's my recent ancestry. My line moved north; my grandfather was raised in Vermont. So I have no one to contact for info. I've found a few family photos on Ancestry but not much.

I also know that my great-grandfather Private (Wiley's son) served time in a Georgia prison, but I've never been able to find info on what for. It's all a big mystery.

Private User
12/4/2021 at 11:59 AM

Success! (Kind of.) If you have an Ancestry account, they have a digitized copy of a brief April 1986 version, which is only 14 pages long: https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer/collections/1770/images/32353_...

In this version, he's relying at least in part on accounts from relatives. He's careful to say when information isn't definitive: "Richard is said to have lived in South Carolina...", "These pioneers, who must have been English...", etc.

I don't see any vital records cited in this version. I will say that I've yet to find an entry in the genealogy from Wiley south that isn't backed up by the records I've located. So I suspect Caudle is correct about everything or nearly everything from Wiley down, and that it's the brief bits of info north of there -- basically, the "Introduction" page -- where we need to exercise caution.

But, we also need to supplement profiles that cite Caudle by also citing records. I'll start working on that.

12/6/2021 at 8:35 AM

Thanks. I turn my Ancestry account on in the winter. I have a busy summer and 6 acres of hilly North Carolina where we live, and when the weather goes bad, I change to doing more of my genealogy research.

Showing all 12 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion