"Trader" James David William McDaniel, I - DNA & CODIS and AncestryDNA matchers for James William David McDaniel. Sincerely, Cynthia Viola Mae Hicks Abernathy Curtis

Started by Cynthia Curtis, A183502, US7875087 on Tuesday, January 22, 2019
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 112 posts
1/22/2019 at 12:02 PM

I have DELETED any and everything with the words HOP or MOYTOY (NOT a name I was ever given when I came to genealogy) from my online trees (at least at Ancestry and none ever hit Geni; I will be double checking elsewhere) and yet I am getting NEW matches almost daily for the mother of Drury Willis Emerson's paternal line. Her name was Susannah McDaniel and she married my 4th great grandfather James Emerson. Nevermind Suki Hopper; these are McDaniel and Daniel matches. I do not care to engage in debates as to the existence of any Cherokee blood or not...I simply would appreciate my 4th great grandmother to be reexamined... In the 1990's when I hit the internet and the libraries on foot, I found other Susannahs and now, none. It is not up for debate whether Trader McDaniel existed or whether he was my 5th great grandfather. What is of issue is the fact that his Geni profile shows PARENTS UNKNOWN or unconfirmed and elsewhere, I am getting confirmation of WHOSE SON he was.

1/22/2019 at 1:05 PM

A “David McDaiel” appears on a list of licensed traders to the Cherokee 1750-54.

According to descendant Clara Ward (1859-1946), her great-great grandmother, Granny Hopper, married a “Scotchman” named McDaniel and they were the parents of three children, Katy/Catherine, Alexander, and Lewis.
Alexander
Lewis

Alexander had a daughter named Susan, the wife of James Raper. She was born about 1813 and died in 1860.

Starr’s “History” does not list any parents for Katy or Alexander and lists them only with their spouses.

1/22/2019 at 1:23 PM

I descend from Susannah

1/22/2019 at 1:24 PM

But I thank you for the comment. Any and all is appreciated at this juncture.

1/22/2019 at 1:27 PM

Somehow, I doubt that Susannah made it into any Cherokee literature. I am not seeking confirmation of ANY NA line in regards to her. I do not require that.
What I would like is confirmation that the McDaniel line (she and her supposed father are BOTH Master Profiled) she is said to descend from be opened up in regards to the parents of "Trader McDaniel"

1/22/2019 at 1:28 PM

Fields are locked and say parentage unknown. Yet I am getting new matches daily.
Again, no hurry. Just putting my request the reason for said request.
Cynthia

1/22/2019 at 2:23 PM

Cynthia Curtis, A183502, US7875087

Where you want to start with this is “spinning off” the children of the trader, McDaniel, to another family. Call the parents NN McDaniel.

Apparently he and his wife had 3 children only - Alexander, Katy & Lewis - But the geni tree gives them a dozen.

You can’t have a valid DNA test condition on Geni as is now.

1/22/2019 at 2:43 PM

Ok. Would it be ok if I started a branch but with Trader? His is the tree i am getting matches...I cut Suki from any parents on Ancestry. Or should I create a branch just for Susannah? But I HAVE DNA matches for her ...
See the dilemma? I will not claim to be a "newbie" but I have only really been doing Geni since summer and i want only the real connections regardless what we call her.
It feels like a parlor game or even Go Fish since she is cut off here and I get matches there.

1/22/2019 at 4:36 PM

If I may say - the matches confirm your descent from Susannah, excellent. They do not however affirm (or deny) descent from Trader McDaniel & Sookie (Su-Gi) "Granny Hopper" McDaniel

This is the same issue anyone faces anywhere in the tree which is skimpy on Records. I face it in this “same” tree, because apparnukt Rachel Tookah Burnett Is my third great grandfather's wife's great grandmother. (A Lawson line, naturally....).

Various testing scenarios come to mind, I’m sure there are more others can suggest; but at a minimum you would need to find common ground with the three “known” children of Granny Hopper before you can even postulate how that could be.

I’ve put my money where my mouth is and created a placeholder McDaniel to hang the extra kids we don’t even know are related to each other, so that’s another thing to look for and work through genealogically.

NN McDaniel with children attached:

Rachel Tookah Burnett

Ellen Baker

John W. McDaniel

Mary Blevins

Elizabeth Essary

Nannie Hopper

Susannah Emerson

William Hopper

Lucy Hopper

1/22/2019 at 4:40 PM

So - your options on Geni are to leave her with her placeholder parent, or for a curator to lock her to no parents. If it were me I’d probably prefer the latter, and I will probably do so with Rachel but I need to research / source her profile better before making a decision, and hopefully hear from other researchers also.

1/22/2019 at 4:42 PM

Lloyd Alfred Doss, Jr. Aren’t you in the Granny Hopper tree supposedly ? I’ve just eviscerated it - please double check.

1/22/2019 at 5:06 PM

This looks like the MCDaniel family with DNA matches.

James Jefferson McDaniel & Margaret Rachel McDaniel

1/22/2019 at 5:09 PM

... that conflict ...

Risdon McDaniel Shows propagation from male descent of both J M172 & R1b... which is impossible.

1/22/2019 at 5:12 PM

I'm here. O.k. so far. Scary but let's get it done from this end and I will rework my AncestryDNA tree.

1/22/2019 at 5:13 PM

Fixed. James McDaniel Does not belong in the McDaniel
Family.

1/22/2019 at 5:18 PM

This guy is DAR & I would think SAR also, should make it easier to find his descent to compare with.

James McDaniel

1/22/2019 at 5:21 PM

And for Kathryn Forbes

I have a reasonable looking path to the Riley family in Oklahoma if you wouldn’t mind checking it

https://www.geni.com/path/Erica-Howton+is+related+to+Trader-David-M...

1/22/2019 at 5:30 PM

James McDaniel (above) is your 6th cousin 9 times removed.
You
→ Freddie Ralph Hicks, Sr
your father → Arvel Yewell Hicks
his father → Rachel Jane Hicks
his mother → Lucinda Crossen
her mother → Bennet C Dilbeck
her father → David Louis Dilbeck
his father → John George Dilbeck, Sr.
his father → Rachel Dilbeck
his mother → Elizabeth Combs
her mother → Elizabeth Seaman
her mother → Catherine Linnington
her mother → Mary Ellison
her mother → Martha Pemberton
her mother → John Pemberton
her father → Roger Pemberton
his father → Alice Williams
his sister → Sydrach Williams
her son → Roger Williams II
his son → Rebecca McDaniel
his daughter → Daniel McDaniel
her son → James Jefferson McDaniel
his son → James McDaniel
his son

1/22/2019 at 5:30 PM

My maternal uncle is J Mason Emerson

1/22/2019 at 5:32 PM

His Y is I-M253 per 23&me

1/22/2019 at 5:55 PM

Erica, that path is correct (assuming the first couple of generations are), but doesn’t go to the Cherokee Rileys. This Riley was white, the women were Cherokee. Owen’s mother Nannie Brewer and grandmother Martha Fields were both Fields descendants, going back to Ludovic Grant. Martha is on p. 309 in Starr.

1/22/2019 at 6:04 PM

Thanks, Kathryn Forbes that sounds like the way I understood the tree to be. There might be more lines connected to Ella Mae "Little Chief" Tooley - she was married something like 8 times. And I don't think I got her adopted children's lines in.

1/22/2019 at 6:12 PM

Lloyd Doss and I are related through Brewer, according to Geni. (Also, through Hazel)

1/22/2019 at 7:12 PM

Ella Mae "Little Chief" Tooley is your 7th cousin twice removed.
You
→ Geneive Melba Emerson
your mother → Ossie Mae Pratt
her mother → George W Pratt
her father → Nancy Jane Pratt
his mother → Eliza C Huddleston
her mother → Nimrod Brewer, Jr.
her father → Nimrod Brewer, Sr.
his father → Howell Brewer, Jr.
his father → Howell Brewer, Sr.
his father → Lanier Brewer, Sr.
his brother → Lanier John Brewer, Jr.
his son → Solomon S. Brewer, II
his son → Margaret (Peggy) Brewer
his daughter → George Washington Brewer
her son → Nannie Ethel Riley
his daughter → Owen Fortner Riley
her son → Ella Mae "Little Chief" Tooley
his daughter

1/22/2019 at 7:52 PM

The above list does not seem to be correct. George Washington Brewer and Nannie Ethel Riley were the children of George Washington Brewer Sr and Cherokee Ratliff. George Sr was the son of John Brewer and Elizabeth Taylor.

1/22/2019 at 8:02 PM

George Washington Brewer (Birth: June 12, 1831
Tennessee, United States
Death: February 14, 1868 (36)
Tahlequah, Cherokee Nation West , Indian Territory
Place of Burial: Greenleaf Cemetery, Tahlequah, Cherokee County, Oklahoma, United States
Immediate Family:
Son of Jonas Brewer and Margaret (Peggy) Brewer
Husband of Cherokee Brewer ) is your fourth cousin five times removed.
You
→ Geneive Melba Emerson
your mother → Ossie Mae Pratt
her mother → George W Pratt
her father → Nancy Jane Pratt
his mother → Eliza C Huddleston
her mother → Nimrod Brewer, Jr.
her father → Nimrod Brewer, Sr.
his father → Howell Brewer, Jr.
his father → Howell Brewer, Sr.
his father → Lanier Brewer, Sr.
his brother → Lanier John Brewer, Jr.
his son → Solomon S. Brewer, II
his son → Margaret (Peggy) Brewer
his daughter → George Washington Brewer
her son

1/22/2019 at 8:04 PM

Once you all get them sorted, hopefully you will be agreeable to re-examining my family's claim to McDaniel. It is nail-biting on my end

1/22/2019 at 8:43 PM

I’m done. You’ve provided nothing to look at, and the DNA matches mentioned do not push back a generation. As said, you would need to match with known descent of Granny Hopper to make a case.

1/22/2019 at 8:53 PM

McDaniel period; sorry, NOT necessarily Trader. I still have DNA matches. Will revisit later. No worries.

1/23/2019 at 5:17 AM

George Washington Brewer, born June 12, 1831 was the son of two Cherokee people, Elizabeth Taylor, daughter of Richard Taylor and Nellie McDaniel, and John Brewer, son of George Brewer and Elizabeth Brown. He did not have a sister named Margaret. See Eastern Cherokee application 5671, William Brewer.

Showing 1-30 of 112 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion