Capt. Christopher Clark - I contend that Edward Clark was probably Capt Chris' father and not Micajah.

Started by Alexander Clark on Sunday, May 19, 2019
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 3 posts
5/19/2019 at 10:22 PM

Lots of folks think, or want, Micajah Clark and Sarah or Sally Moorman to be Capt Christopher Clark's parents.
I would say that there is a better chance his father was actually Edward Clark.
I base this contention on a few points.

1. Capt Christopher and Penelope ( Johnson) Clark's first son was named EDWARD. Born 1710 died 1783.
The naming conventions of the time were to name the first son after the father of the husband. Edwards younger brother,
my direct ancestor Micajah Sr 1718 to 1808, was popular and well known, but he was not the first child.

2. Edward Clark is mentioned in the existing vestry records of the New Kent County, Saint Peters church, as the Church Sexton for the years 1692 and 1693.

3. In 1697 and 1698, the New Kent County, Saint Peters church records mention the families of Christopher Clark and Edward Clark as being on adjoining property and they were both assigned to road clearing projects near their land holdings. ( twenty other people are also mentioned. ) ...[ by the way, this is also why I think Capt Christopher was born around 1679 since he would have had to be at least 18 years old in 1697 ]

4. On Feb 28th 1700 Christopher Clark and his 1st wife Elizabeth, attend the wedding of their friends, Thomas Lankford and Martha West at the New Kent Quaker Meeting house. They sign the book as a married couple. BUT, Edward Clark also signs the book as a single person.

5. In 1704 Edward Clark is taxed on 282 acres of land. Christopher pays taxes for 300 acres nearby.

6. In 1706/07 Christopher Clark is appointed to be the surveyor for a new Horse Bridge to be constructed over Beaverdam Creek. ( near his property at the time. ( he moved and bought much more land). In 1708 The New Kent County court records state that Christopher and EDWARD Clark were building the new horse bridge near their properties. There are more entries for Edward in 1709 but he seems to disappear from records after this time period. ( which is also when Christopher's first wife Elizabeth dies )

7. Family Bible Records, Series II, Published by the Georgia State Archives in 1938, As compiled by the Georgia DAR, Pages 47-49
while discussing Micajah Clark Sr (born 1718) ..... "" Edward Clark who came from { text missing or damaged} on the ship { missing or damaged} to Jamestown, had a son Christopher Clark born in { text damaged or missing} 16..., who had a son Micajah Clark who was born in the year 1718, who had a son Christopher, who was born in the year of our Lord 1737"

Thus I think it is pretty safe to say that Edward Clark was probably the father of Capt Christopher Clark. I believe he may have been related to the elder Micajah Clark of Barbados.

5/20/2019 at 12:04 AM

Can you tag the Geni profile for Edward Clark to the discussion ?

Here are Sarah Clark & Micajah Clark , the “by tradition” parents.

What do we have for actual records for Origins ? Any will or land transactions (I’m dreaming ....). What is the likely relationship between Edward & Micajah that could help rule in / rule out DNA test results ? If they’re closely related, Y DNA won’t help ?

5/21/2019 at 10:35 AM

As it stands right now, there is no solid information regarding the parents or birth place or even a correct year of birth for Capt Christopher Clark. ( My 7th great grand father in a direct male line. ) I have found a few other Y-DNA cousin who all go back to him , but all of their family trees stop there, with any reliable information. Although many have all sorts of cut and paste computer era info that bleeds into computer generated family trees.
For a long time Clark families, ( including mine) have gone to great lengths to try and link Capt Christopher to John Clark the Navigator. So the old Micajah Clark and Sally ( or Sarah ) Ann Moorman route via Barbados was a good way to go. Or at least some sort of link to Michael Clark and Margaret Clark of Barbados.
Edward Clark is thought by some to be one of the sons of Michael and Margaret Clark of Barbados. Thus making him the brother of Micajah Clark of Barbados.
The problem is that people tend to pick and choice who is added to their trees. Thus Capt Christopher and Penelope's oldest son Edward is often left out of the list of children since the naming conventions of the time make him INCONVIENTENT to those who would prefer Micajah to be the oldest son.
Of course another option would be that the Edward who was always living and working with a young Capt Christopher was an older brother. Although the old bible entry makes the father idea slightly more possible.

I am trying to find a CLARK DNA cousin who still lives in England or Scotland so I could attack the problem from a different angle.
My line of Clark's is fairly narrow, and I wonder if they changed their name for political or legal reasons after they left the mother country.

Their is a line of "Hurst" families that are a direct male Y-DNA match to the Clarks with a split off around the 1300s or 1400s.

I gotta go do some work...

Alex Clark

Showing all 3 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion