Started by Tamás Flinn Caldwell-Gilbert on Friday, July 12, 2019
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 5 posts
7/12/2019 at 9:13 PM

Hello!

It appears that Thomas Lee has been merged into a tree with parents and siblings. Since the curator note by Erica Howton on the profile by says that no parents are known I expect that we should remove the siblings that came into the tree with the merge and undo any merges. Perhaps the profiles' relationships should be locked to prevent this from happening again, as this does not appear to be the first time that these trees have been merged together.

Sincerely,
Tamas Caldwell-Gilbert

7/13/2019 at 8:51 AM

Tamás Flinn Caldwell-Gilbert done.

Also disconnected Elizabeth Hanks as child.

I seem to recall that this Lee / Hanks might be known, if anyone can look.

7/13/2019 at 10:00 AM

I always like to see the relationship of commenters to existing "Trees", as challenges to existing data becomes more personal than academic or mechanical to the originators of the Tree. It's my understanding that Erica Howton is/was(?) a curator/facilitator to the Geni application and as such her opinion has maximum weight.

I was the originator of the bulk of this tree, and it exists on other genealogical sites from data supplied by a professional's report to my Cousin some years ago. The report itself I have not seen, only the tree as I installed it and at it's historical endpoint was with (1640-1698) Thomas Lee/Ley's father, also Thomas Lee (1605-<1670>). It was I who attempting to continue the Tree as far as possible who made a connection of given and surnames and coinciding dates with John Lee/Lyes (1588-9 - 1630) and his wife, Jane Hancock as the possible father to Thomas Lee (1605-<1670>. It was this proposed connection of John Lee, a widely accepted donor to the famous Family Tree of Robert E. Lee tree that elicited the curator's objections and her action to leave my link to John Lee since I could not provide documentation in support of my ancestor's tree to the R.E. Lee tree at that time. The Curator's remarks and her defining my ancestor (Thomas Lee (1605-<1670>, temporally, "as-Thomas Lee of Ashfield . . .". She recommended other possible search paths to authenticate an extension of my tree past Thomas Lee which is the status and path I continue to explore.
I am not sure the exact meaning of your words, "should be locked" but the implication, to me, in a personal way, would be to prevent completing my family tree back as far as possible. Of course Geni is a incorporated application that probably reserves the right to do whatever it chooses but I would have to disagree with any action that prevents my successfully finding the identify of Thomas Lee "of Ashfield" and inserting the true parents to the tree.

I see, just now that Erica Howton has commented to your suggestion in the affirmative so my interests are probably at an end. I would still like you and any person who proposes changes to existing trees to adequately identify themselves.

William R. Lee

7/13/2019 at 6:20 PM

William Roger Lee I followed you in reconstructing the tree just now, so if should be back to the way you had had it.

Locking means the opposite actually: it means not allowing “unauthorized” changes. Personally I’d be thrilled if you can connect further back, sideways, etc. Just present the case.

7/14/2019 at 12:09 PM

Thank you for clarifying (?) the jargon, Ms Howton and for restoring the "Tree" to the point I last left it hopefully, with Thomas Lee of Ashfield and his spouse and children. For the record, I have researched several other registers of births, Christenings, other marriages, and burials having a Thomas Lee moniker and there are some active possibilities but for several months I have spent most of my genealogical allotment of time on filling in on many of the secondary branches to the original Tree and it's maintenance but at a slower pace. I have always liked using Geni and its connection with MyHeritage.com for the additional exposure to other fellow elder genealogical hobbyist's as their input and queries helps improve and broaden my individual efforts. So, thank you for your continued counsel.
Bill Lee

Showing all 5 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion