Michael Neuenschwander, II - FIRST SETTLER TO THE SWISS MENNONITE BLUFFTON-PANDORA COLONY

Started by Jack Steiner on Sunday, September 8, 2019
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

9/8/2019 at 11:00 AM

Michael Neuenschwander was the grandson of Peter Neuenschwander and Anna Aeschlimann(Peter was a school and singing teacher in the church in Langnau, Canton Berne Switzerland).

Michael’s father was also Michael(Michael’s father will be referred to as Michael I and his son Michael as Michael II(the first settler). Michael Neuenschwander I was married to Barbara Steiner(She was the daughter of John and Verena(Habegger)Steiner). Michael I has a family of ten children. The father & mother and four children died before the big move to America. Four of Michael Is has a family of ten children. The father & mother and four children died before the big move to America. Four of Michael I’s sons and another son’s wife and children came to settle in the Bluffton-Pandora area.

Michael Ii was the second child in birth order. He was born 3-9-1778 at Florimont, Canton Delle, Alsace, France. In 1809, Michael married Anna Ernst who was born in 1780. They stayed in Switzerland for fourteen years. Four children were born to their home in Switzerland: John, Daniel, Barbara, and Peter. Their daughter, Barbara died as a young child. On May 15, 1823, they started to America. Michael and Anna’s fifth child was born while on board the ship “Eolus”. They landed in New London, Connecticut and made the westward trek to the Little Chippewa Creek in Green Twp, Wayne Co, Ohio, arriving on 10-4-1823. The following spring they bought seventy-four acres in Wayne Co from Jacob Scrag. They farmed in Wayne County for ten years. In May of 1833, Michael and his son, John headed for Putman Co after a report that cheap and fertile land was to be had there. On 5-6-1833, they entered a half section of land at the land office of Wapakoneta, Ohio. On 8-29-1833, they packed up the family and left to come to their newly acquired land, arriving 9-10-1833. They soon bought another forty acre strip along the Riley. Michael and Daniel farmed with their father all their lives. An older son , John moved to Iowa.

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion