Jan Willem Frederik Roestorf - Civil Death Notice

Started by Tracey Walsh (born Roestorff) on Tuesday, December 3, 2019
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 2 posts
12/3/2019 at 10:16 PM

I think I may have found Jan's civil death notice. Here is the document I found:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C91L-N7MD-V?cc=299...

Age and place of birth corresponds however his names appear to be Anglicised. As the death takes place in 1909, I assume it could be either because the person taking down the information is English and Anglicised it or Jan himself Anglicised his name as South Africa was at that time a British Colony. I have searched the EGGSA Gravestones (I only have access what is online and do not have the CD) and cannot find his grave. According to the civil death notice it should be Braamfontein Cemetery. Would be great if we could somehow confirm if he is indeed buried there.

I will try to see if I can find any probate documents to back up this document.

I also found what I assume to be the baptism of a great grandson, in the name of John William Fred Roestorff. Here is the link for that:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-D1S7-7HK?i=199&amp......

The baptism is on the 9 May 1907 and someone with the initials JWF Roestorff is a witness - I believe this to be Jan. The child's grandfather is EPJ Roestorff - noted in the register. Jan had 2 sons with the name Ernst Philipus Roestorff - one with each of his wives. I believe this is the son from the second wife as I have found the probate documents relating to his mother in law (first wife) and only 3 of his children with wife number 1, inherit. I have confirmed that at the time of the passing of the mother in law, his eldest son had already passed away so I assume that the first Ernst had also passed on.

I welcome your thought on this?

Sincerely,

Tracey Walsh (born Roestorff)

12/4/2019 at 12:11 AM

This seems well researched, Tracey. Let me know if you need any help making changes.

Showing all 2 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion