William Low
Hinds, Mississippi 0s 5h

John Low
Marion, Mississippi 1s 9h

David Low
Marion, Mississippi 8s 12 h

Willis Low
Marion, Mississippi 3s 5h

comment: undetermined whether Philip Lowe's family was actually in MS in 1820; Philip would have been c. 7 years old;
Are any of these towns in Attala County?

the above is the 1830 census for Mississippi (adjust comment to) undetermined whether Philip Lowe's family was actually in MS in 1830

Now let's look at Alabama for the same 1830 census:

Names equal or similar to Lowe: 156 households... I will only choose ones that are close to Lowe (in my opinion) {IOW: not <Lee> and other un-"close" surnames

George A Lowe
Ranges 1 and 2, Madison, Alabama 25s 34h

Robert Lowe
Lowndes, Alabama 2s 4h

Jas Lowe
Perry, Alabama 3s 8h

Record
Thos B Lowe
Perry, Alabama 2s 4h

Daniel Lowe
Monroe, Alabama 0s 4h

Stephen Loe
Bibb, Alabama 0s 8h

William Lowe
Fayette, Alabama 0s 8h

Ralph Lowe
Perry, Alabama 2s 5h

Thos Lowe
Perry, Alabama 6s 14h

Anthony Low
Wilcox, Alabama 0s 6h

John Looe
Dallas, Alabama 3s 12h

John Loe
Blount, Alabama 0s 10h

Frances Low
Wilcox, Alabama 0s 8h

Isaac Low
Pike, Alabama 0s 3h

John Low
Pike, Alabama 32s 39h

David Low
Lauderdale, Alabama 2s 6h

SO it looks like there are 29 families in the two postings above... That's a lot to research

There were no families by the name of Lowe in Attala COunty MS in 1830 (ten years before)... so Philip must have just moved there.

Can we assume he was in Alabama then? He was born in Alabama in 1813... So he would have been 17 in 1830 ...

Were there any Lowe families in Alabama in 1830? First names Thomas or George would be favored (by me). Thomas for obvious reasons and George
because our Thomas had a son named George.

#1 George A Lowe
Ranges 1 and 2, Madison, Alabama 25s 34h

#2 Thos B Lowe, Perry, Alabama 2s 4h

#3 Thos Lowe
Perry, Alabama 6s 14h

These are the only 3 that fit the criteria just mentioned.

"Perry County was settled before Alabama became a state and was originally a much larger county in Alabama
by Donna R Causey"
"Many people settled in Alabama for a time when the Mississippi Territory opened, then moved further west. Perry County was a much larger county in the early days of Alabama. Many early settlers can later be found in neighboring counties which were originally part of Perry County." < https://www.alabamapioneers.com/perry-county-alabama/

A Collection of PERRY COUNTY ALABAMA PIONEER… (Kindle Edition)by Donna R Causey
Kindle Edition$5.95

Incidental research:

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/65669084/george-w-lowe#view-pho... = Saint Margarets Cemetery
Montgomery, Montgomery County, Alabama, USA
PLOT Lot 2 Square 4
MEMORIAL ID 65669084

posted because of the names George and it being in Alabama

Quitman Loe
BIRTH 24 Jan 1935
Bodcaw, Nevada County, Arkansas, USA
DEATH 9 Sep 2012 (aged 77)
Springhill, Webster Parish, Louisiana, USA
BURIAL
Spring Branch Cemetery
Taylor, Columbia County, Arkansas, USA
MEMORIAL ID 96870743 · View Source

Is this man related to John Anthony Quitman Loe ?

Mr. Loe was born January 24, 1935 in Bodcaw, AR to Major Jewel and Estelle Palmer Loe and passed away Sunday, September 9, 2012 at his residence in Springhill following a short illness. He was a member of Eastside Baptist Church and was a retired plumber/pipefitter from Arizona Chemical and Berg Mechanical. Mr. Loe was a member of the Plumbers and Steamfitters Local #141, Shreveport, LA.

https://ancestors.familysearch.org/en/KJ5W-LJ7/major-jewel-loe-1904...

This Quitman Loe (1935-2012) had for ancestors
father Major Jewel Loe (1904-1990) of Nevada AR
grandfather Thomas Jefferson Loe (1866-1937)

The grandfather, T J L, would probably be a nephew or brother of John Anthony Quitman Loewho was born in 1855.

No place of birth for TJ Loe is known by me as yet. He married in Nevada Arkansas on March 15th 1893

With the name <QUITMAN> being repeated at least twice that I know of, we might assume a connection with Gen. John A. Quitman, Mil. Gov. of Mexico City, Gov. of MS

There are a host of Quitman family descendants of the era, all of whom came south out of Rhinebeck NY... see:
https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/person/tree/69970020/person/36...

We might well wonder whether Alcy A. Loe is a <Quitman>... or her (unknown) mother...??

**Name: P. W. Lowe; State: MS; County: Attala County; Township: Twp 15 R6; Year: 1850; Record Type: Slave Schedule; Page: 519; Database: MS 1850 Slave Schedule

This looks to be our Philip W. Lowe .. the county matches the US census data for him 19n 1850

The slaves names can be found many times listed in family Probated Wills, before The War of the State’s- the first name is listed, last name wa usually the slave owners, if the gave the slave to a daughter who was married, the slave usually then took the surname of the daughters husband, and became the property of him. I usually list the slaves names on the profiles, but many times, it seems to disappear from the profile of the slave owner.

I did contact Ancestry.com and request software be written to accommodate to add slaves names, where they lived, age, etc. This would assist many people trying to trace their ancestry.

The slaves names can be found many times listed in family Probated Wills, before The War of the State’s- the first name is listed, last name wa usually the slave owners, if the gave the slave to a daughter who was married, the slave usually then took the surname of the daughters husband, and became the property of him. I usually list the slaves names on the profiles, but many times, it seems to disappear from the profile of the slave owner.

I did contact Ancestry.com and request software be written to accommodate to add slaves names, where they lived, age, etc. This would assist many people trying to trace their ancestry.

Showing all 18 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion