Query on wives of John CROUCH

Started by Leanne M (Volunteer Curator - Australia) 🇦🇺 on Sunday, January 12, 2020
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 17 posts

John Crouch is on Geni with
* born 1764
children
* 1786 Abby Abigail Crouch
* 1788 Ann Crouch
* 1790 Maria Crouch
* 1791 Philadelphia Crouch
* 1796 Edmond Crouch
* 1799 Thomas Crouch

He has 2 wives with the same name and both are listed as the mother of his children

Wife 1
Mary Ransley
* born 12/5/1765
* died 1828
* father Samuel Vidler (1719-1809)
* mother Barbara Dengate (1742-1824)

Wife 2
Mary Crouch
* born 1765
* father Thomas Vidler (1716-1794)
* mother Abigail Pearman (no dates)

Can anyone provide any information on which Mary he married?
* mother

Private User
11/25/2020 at 12:27 PM

Leanne, my vote is for the 2nd Mary Vidler above because I have located the Ticehurst Parish register banns (completed 31/7/1785) and marriage (20/8/1785) for wife 1 to William Ransley, whereupon they proceeded to have about 12 children born from about 1786-1809, a number of whose Baptisms I have located in Ticehurst naming the parents as William and Mary Ransley.

What evidence ties Mary (wife of John CROUCH) to either of these parents?

Private User
8/26/2021 at 6:24 PM

I have no evidence tieing your Wife 2 to John Crouch, but I do have strong evidence tieing Wife 1 (my 4GG) to another husband, William Thather RANSLEY (my 4GG). I have church register entries for the birth of their children that would overlap the above cited children. So Samuel and Barbara's daughter, Mary, cannot have been married to John Crouch. You can eliminate Wife 1 from being married to John Crouch.

Can you please load up your evidence that connects Mary Vidler daughter of Samuel and Barbara to William Ransley

Thanks
Leanne

Private User
8/27/2021 at 2:49 PM

I have the Ticehurst Parish Banns of Marriage Register for William Ransley and Mary Vidler plus the 1785 Ticehurst Parish Marriage Register witnessed by Samuel Vidler. The parish continued to register the births of their 12 children from 1785 through 1809, though I seem to be missing the birth registrations of three of them. There was no second husband. No John Crouch in this family.
As far as "loading up my evidence", how are you asking me to respond? Is there a way to load documents in Geni or are you asking me to cite the archives where I found these document?

Hi Roger,
If you go to the profile in profile view and click on the media tab you can load photographs, documents and videos directly onto the profile. Once loaded we can connect the one document to all of the people mentioned in it.

Whilst I am sure that you are correct that one of the Mary's married RANSLEY and the other married CROUCH, what I need to see is something that confirms which one of the Mary's married RANSLEY and which one married CROUCH.

Leanne

Private User
8/30/2021 at 9:24 AM

Ok, I've made a start with the Banns and Wedding registry images for William and Mary Thather. I will continue with the birth registrations of their children after returning from my 35th wedding anniversary trip as today is that day. I have no information about John Crouch or his children.

Hi,

Thanks for the documents. Happy wedding anniversary.

I looked at the wedding banns and it doesn't list Mary's parents

The marriage document appears to be the wrong document for William and Mary.

Do you have anything that ties Mary (wife of William) to either set of parents?

Leanne

Here are 2 trees that contain a lot of sources for the 2 Mary's

https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/KCY9-5GS married RANSLEY

https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/GZ1V-V8K married CROUCH

There appears to be missing children from both the RANSLEY and the CROUCH families

Please ignore my comment "The marriage document appears to be the wrong document for William and Mary."

The device I was on for some reason was only showing part of the document

Unfortunately the marriage document doesn't list Mary's parents.

Private User
9/1/2021 at 6:32 PM

I'm a little confused by what you may or may not be seeing when you look at the posted marriage document. It show Mary Vidler's father, Samuel Vidler, as witness, immediately beneath Mary's name but does not list her mother as a witness which is to be expected. The date of the banns and wedding registry and the church (in Ticehurst) which recorded these events is consistent with this Mary being the daughter of Samuel Vidler. I have separate documents for the birth of Mary Vidler and the marriage of her parents Samuel Vidler and Barbara Dengate in Ticehurst - https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-DYQS-PS6?cc=1465706 : 9. But as I have just got back from my 35th anniversary trip I have a lot of catchup to do, but will get around to posting more documents soon.

Private User
9/1/2021 at 7:00 PM

Concerning missing children, I show William & Mary Ransley are missing one son James who lived for just a few weeks in late 1792. All the other 11 children except eldest son William (Jr) are listed out of birth order. I have the Ticehurst records of all their Christenings/baptisms. Also my 3xG Grandfather, Samuel Ransley, was never a Lieutenant. He was an enlisted man, not an officer. At one point he was busted down from corporal to private and worked all the way back up to Staff Sargent before retiring with an honorable discharge. I have a copy of his military discharge papers.

Private User
9/2/2021 at 6:37 PM

@ Re Lieutent Samuel Ransley my Grandmother Bertha Celestina Coren Nee Oxenham suppy the information from the Oxenham Family History.

Barry Coren

Hi,
Are these not correct now?

Mary VIDLER 1765-1828
Daughter of Samuel VIDLER and Barbara DENGATE
Wife of William Thather RANSLEY

Mary VIDLER born 1766
Daughter of Thomas VIDLER and Abigail PEARMAN
Wife of John CROUCH

Private User
9/3/2021 at 10:48 AM

With regard to the two sources for the two Mary's listed by you above, they are clearly two quite different Mary's albeit they lived nearby and at the same time - one is Mary daughter of Thomas Vidler who married John Crouch, the other is Mary daughter of Samuel Vidler who married William Ransley. All 12 of William Ransley's children are listed there, although two of them have been listed twice with differing death dates.

Furthermore the two Mary's appear to be first cousins as both the sources you list show on their trees that their respective fathers Thomas and Samuel Vidler are brothers, sons of William Vidler (1740-1788) and Mary Jeffrey (1707-1787). I think that solves it.

Showing all 17 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion