Roger I "Bosso" of Hauteville, the great count of Sicily - Children of Roger I

Started by Private User on Monday, March 30, 2020
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 19 posts
Private User
3/30/2020 at 8:35 PM

I’m wondering what logic was used to first, count the number of children AND two, to which mother they are attached? Here is the confusion I see...

Geni has 19 children, MEDLANDS has 18 children and the Italian Wikipedia has 17 children. If I set up the branch based on MEDLANDS, which theoretically is the ace of spades because it relies on primary sources, then why the difference in number and connection?

I myself like the Wikipedia because it tells a story, but I note that in this case it is not an English translation, but an Italian original, which does not align with the English version where it crosses.

I also have sources that have names of children not shown in any of the three prior mentions. Also it appears for example that there was a Mathilda by each wife, but Geni has Mathilda, Mathilda I and Mathilda III.

I’m not suggesting errors, but rather asking if there was a conscious decision making process used to make these determinations and what that was.

3/30/2020 at 8:49 PM

If you go into the revisions, you can see who added what.

And if they are still active on Geni, you can ask them.

But it doesn’t look like there has been an overhauling of the profile,

It’s much more likely that children got added in on various merges.

3/31/2020 at 6:50 AM

Ciao, premise:
welcome to Sicily a thousand years ago, here we are not talking about a knot but an immense medieval family branched, which until 2 years ago was only a heap of abandoned branches full of zombies and duplicates, with immense generational errors & homonyms and also blocked profiles.
Of the original old inserters, nobody ever showed up helpful.
{{{a special thanks to the (C)s strangers of time and place, who helped me to make the lines you see today passable, performing some unlocking & cutting <3 }}}
What I found available, I have linked it in the info-about, in the original language that I found: I did not play at being a translator :D

Having said that, I have never climbed that black knot on a yellow cross yet:
Mathilde II married to
Guigues III, I. comte d'Albon

3/31/2020 at 8:23 AM

going up the medlands of Mahaut of Albon, countess of Savoy married to an another italian family that I have personally arranged, the first generational conflicts whit WIKI are already emerging..
(I believe, I think, it could be a node based on hypotheses ..maybe even founded..)

the medlands, the wiki notes of the various languages must be studied, in short, that FR family must be checked (re studied, restructured, revised..)

3/31/2020 at 9:02 AM

David;

I just changed the display name of "Matilda" to "Matilda II", to eliminate the minor inconsistency you pointed out. (Note, there was a "II" already in the suffix field, but not in the display field". Now there are Matilda's I, II and III.

Of course, that doesn't answer your fundamental question of why there are so many children, including some not listed in the sources (for example, Matilda II). I think Anne was right, each child needs to be justified by the person who added it, or by some of the subsequent managers.

For my part, the only child I added was Matilda III, who married the conte d'Alife, and is well documented.

Bernard

Private User
3/31/2020 at 1:35 PM

Thanks guys, I’m tied up on a project right now trying to straighten out the d’Estouteville family.

If it’s ok with you I’d like to look deeper at the Hauteville / Altavilla family next. I have a particular personal interest in the Normans and this family, have a few books to refer to like The Norman Conquest of Southern Italy and Sicily by Gordon S. Brown. I’ve a few dynasty trees that have names of siblings not used on Geni. And there are a couple of really good researchers on Genanet that I reference for out of the box thinking.

3/31/2020 at 4:58 PM

..oh! or I'm sorry that not even this year nobody wants to take a look at that line whit yellow cross on black :\
@David then about Hauteville Family in general I tell you:
-Medlands was used for the lines,
-WIKI for JPG & multi language names,
-Treccani (when available) for confirmation of details.

3/31/2020 at 7:14 PM

This tagged me for several reasons, I guess as Mathilde II is supposed to be my 26th great grandmother. Well, we know how those Medieval and Renaissance lines go so I take it all with a grain of salt and leave it to the experts, but it is interesting.

To me, it is interesting that there are Roger I had three daughters named Mathilde. I check and unlike my Northern European ancestors, there is no early death of one and the "memorializing" with another it seems. So like George Foreman, he has three daughters named Mathilde with widely differing outcomes, but important consequences.

If I knew enough, (more than just to look up the names in Medlands or Wiki, which I do) I would be happy to tackle the line with the yellow cross on black, but I honestly am not an expert, but I am an interested bystander as a descendant. Is there something more significant about the crest? I mean that as a simple question of ignorance trying to find a meaning. I learn so much on this site. Susanne

Private User
4/1/2020 at 5:16 AM

I don't if it applies here but a fellow user told me a few days about naming conventions. One being that in Catholic families,all the same gender children had the same given name and different middle names that they used to differentiate between them. There was also the note that this wasn't unusual in German and French based Catholics before 1800, particularly German & Swiss Mennonites and French Huguenots.
So could the naming convention give us three girls named Mathilde but maybe Mathilde Maria, Mathilde Sophia and Mathilde Caterina?

4/1/2020 at 7:49 AM

At a quick scan of Medlands http://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/SICILY.htm#Rogerdied1101A - Roger doesn't seem to have any Matilda daughters who married a
Guigues III, I. comte d'Albon

4/1/2020 at 12:18 PM

yes we know,
but PLZ don't start shredding based on a quin scan of ML's bold titles....
-https://www.geni.com/discussions/210304?msg=1377943

4/2/2020 at 8:24 AM

What has shredding got to do with it? I'm not following you. Or are you just being nasty?

Private User
4/2/2020 at 3:10 PM

I’m going to delete the arms shown for Mahaut of Albon, countess of Savoy. They are the arms attributed to Edward the confessor of Wessex!

http://wappenwiki.org/index.php/House_of_Wessex

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Wessex

4/2/2020 at 4:14 PM

oh.. in fact wiki ITA wants she --> illegitimate daughter of the Wessex :)

*forse figlia illegittima di Edgardo Atheling, ultimo discendente del Casato del Wessex, *oppure di Eremburga di Mortain e del primo Conte di Sicilia, Ruggero I di Sicilia[4].
-https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahaut_d%27Albon

4/2/2020 at 4:34 PM

citing http://genealogy.euweb.cz/french/albon1.html :

E1. Guigues III, Comte d'Albon, Comte de Grenoble, Dauphin du Viennois =Guigues VI, *1050/60, +21.12.1125;

1m: NN;

2m: before 1095 Mahaut=Mathilda Aetheling,, daughter of Edgar Aetheling, King of England and N. of Carlyle OR Matilda N

(possibly a dau.of Roger I, Comte de Sicile and de Pouille by Adelaďde di Savona) !E.S.!

4/3/2020 at 6:33 AM

-------------
small detail to FIX on the homonymous Mathilde (I) de Sicile [locked relationship]

even the first marriage is to be put EX because "repudiated before 1080" (ML source)
---------------

Private User
4/3/2020 at 8:15 PM

The arms of the counts of Albon and dauphins of Viennois are two separate arms. This one is correct if the person is dauphin of Viennois, which Mahaut cannot be as a woman.

I would use this... https://fr.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Famille_d%27Albon_(Lyonnais)

Showing all 19 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion