Rebekka van Bengal, SM/PROG - Married to Meyer as well?

Started by Sharon Doubell on Friday, May 15, 2020
Problem with this page?

Participants:

• Geni Pro
  • Private
    Geni member
  • Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni member
  • Private User
    Geni member

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 16 posts
5/15/2020 at 11:16 AM

Leoné Gardner says Managers of Rebekka van Bengal, SM/PROG,

I am contacting you about this profile: https://www.geni.com/people/Rebekka-van-Bengal-SM-PROG/600000000329...

Checked with the info found in - Reference no.: MOOC8/9.43 Testator(s): Elisabeth Rebecca, 5 Julij 1759.

"Inventaris van alle soodanige goederen als ab intestato zijn naargelaaten en met ’er dood ontruijmt door Elisabeth Rebecca huijsvrouw van den burger Andries Meijer ten voordeele van haar evengesegde man ter eenre, mitsgaders soodanige kindskinderen als wijlen haar voor dit huwelijk verwekte zoon Jan de Jaager en dogter Appolonia Jansz: getrouwt geweest met den burger Fredrik Sigmund Plagman hebben naargelaaten, met naame
1) Fredrik de Jager ter andere zijde
2) Elisabeth Plagman
3) Sophia Plagman"

Made a separate tree to check for any conflicts. Added additional info from other sources. All seems fine to me.
* Carel Jansz (from Ceylon) married Flora / Sophia de Lodriga van Bengal (FB) in 1725. (Cape Melting Pot, FFY).
* Flora/Sophia died c.1736.
* Rebekka baptised as an adult in 1740 (still a slave), together with 3 children (Johannes, Apolonia, Juliana).
* Carel Jansz van Bengalen died in 1744. A.k.a. Carel Janze van Bombaaij.
* By 1744 Rebekka's child Juliana seems to have passed away already.
* Andreas Meyer arrives in 1748. A.k.a. Andries.
* Andreas Meyer married Rebekka in 1755. (see "Cape Melting Pot", FFY)
* Seems they had no children (re MOOC file 1759), as only her children born before her marriage to Meyer are listed here. ("voor dit huwelijk verwekte zoon Jan en dogter Appolonia")
* Andreas Meyer married Francina Janz van der Kaap in 1760 (former slave of Pieter van Bengal).
* Andreas passed away by 1762. Seems he didn't sire any children with either of his wives.
* Rebekka's child Appolonia did indeed marry Plagmann SV/PROG.
* Rebekka's child

If everyone's satisfied, can the curator please allow a merge of my duplicate - https://www.geni.com/people/Elisabeth-Meyer-SM-PROG/600000013446043...

Kind regards,
Leoné Gardner

Private
6/6/2020 at 2:29 AM

Sharon Doubell Elizabeth's profile as per link give a deleted profile?https://www.geni.com/people/Elisabeth-Meyer-SM-PROG/600000013446043

6/6/2020 at 2:52 AM

Not this: Rebecca of Bengal was merged into Elisabeth Rebecca van Bengalen Meyer, SM/PROG ? by Leoné Gardner.11 May at 4:22 AM · view · undo

6/6/2020 at 2:54 AM

Yes - that's it. It was merged in

6/17/2021 at 12:57 AM

Private User can you check that you agree with this Curator Note? I used your nicely set out argument in the About to create it. Have I captured all the nuances correctly?

Elizabeth / Rebekka van Bengal
x freed slave Carel Jansz van Bengalen /Bombaij?

• Johannes/Jan d<1759
  • Apolonia x Frederik Sigmund Plagman
  • Juliana d<1744

xx 30 Nov 1755 Andries Meijer

Private User
6/17/2021 at 1:41 PM

Sharon Doubell -- How about putting both Elizabeth and Rebecca in the first name field, since you do not want something hard-typed in the Display Name field, and without it and with only Elizabeth in the first name field, most of us just see her referred to as Elizabeth -- but this Discussion and the comments on her About refer to her as Rebekka or Rebecca

Private User
6/17/2021 at 9:18 PM

Sharon, I haven't thought about this for a while, so I don't have much to add to the discussion at this point. I will just note that Rebekka is my direct all-maternal-line 8th ggm, hence we share the MT DNA which is R30a. I wonder if there are other living individuals (apart from my direct family) that are all-meternal descendants to compare.

Another side note is that I find it strange that Carel van Bengalen would be the same person as Carel van Bombaaij, unless there is some error in some document - since Bombay and Bengal are on opposite sides of the Indian subcontinent.

6/17/2021 at 11:03 PM

Divon, I'll re-check Bombay - but I think he's named as that in one of the documents. I know that often the van - name is a catch all for the place from where the slaves were shipped out, not from where they actually originated - so not impossible.

6/17/2021 at 11:03 PM

Will do Lois

6/17/2021 at 11:09 PM

But why do you have Middle Name field turned off.

Private User
4/29/2022 at 2:22 PM

Private User and Sharon Doubell

The document that records Carel Janze as being from Bombay is the baptism of Rebekka and her three children. It was originally added to the profile as a source by Marie Vermeulen-Boshoff . I have added a description and the familysearch link.

4/29/2022 at 2:27 PM

thank you

Private User
4/29/2022 at 3:23 PM

Private User and Sharon Doubell

BEING A SLAVE
Histories and Legacies of European Slavery
in the Indian Ocean

Edited by
Alicia Schrikker
and

Nira Wickramasinghe

Leiden University Press

Pg 69 and 70

accessible at:

https://library.oapen.org/handle/20.500.12657/46138

In a postscript to his letter from 1732, the school teacher Domingos
Dias asked Nicolaas to find out what had happened to a pair of slaves who had been taken to the Cape almost 25 years earlier by Governor Cornelis Joannes Simonsz (1703–1707), where he was to review the state of the colony on behalf of the Council of the Indies (Letter 33):18
"When Governor Señor Simonsz was on his way to Holland he sold his
servant, named Hannibal, our godson, and his wife, a Bengali woman,
named Flora, to a Free Burgher at the Cape. Later, after the Free Burgher had died, the Señor (i.e. Simonsz), on leaving for Holland, set them free. Afterwards, Hannibal died. After that, that woman Flora married someone else. If I remember well his name was Frans. Flora is a Bengali a70 being b beinnd very short. Could you find out and let me know if she is still alive. For, when Hannibal was still alive, he sent me a barrel of cabbage. I still have the 10 reals with me which I made out of selling the cabbage. Having found out where she lives I could send those ten reals to her. Or you could give them directly to her. In that case, you give her the money and ask her to sign a receipt. Send this letter with her signature to your mother here and I will give the money in cash to your mother.

Nicolaas did find Flora; however, her second husband was not called Frans but Karel Jansz van Bombay. Contact between godfather and godchild was re-established"

The above excerpt seems to confirm that the Karel Jansz that was married to Flora was referred to as "from Bombay".

4/29/2022 at 10:25 PM

Very interesting. I'm a bit swamped at the mo, please call me back here in a week.

Showing all 16 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion