Emigrant Paul Olof Lindgren born 21.2.1888 Nössemark, Sweden

Started by Nina Elisabeth Ourama on Friday, July 31, 2020
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 32 posts
7/31/2020 at 7:32 AM

Can anyone help me track down this person, he's emigrated from Norway to Canada 15th of January 1910
on the ship called Aaro. He's sent a postcard in 1910 and that's when the trail ends.
Any information would be highly appreciated.

7/31/2020 at 8:02 AM

Nina Elisabeth Ourama I looked in the Canadian Archives for a ship named "aaro" in 1910 and can't find one named the Aaro. Do you know what line the ship was with? You may be able to search those records to find out where it docked.

7/31/2020 at 8:18 AM

This is what I found: Wilson Line operated these routes with the same ships and Aaro was one of them.It's left from Trondheim in Norway.

7/31/2020 at 8:20 AM

But he might have changed ships, it's like he's vanished as soon as he stepped on Canadian soil.

Private User
7/31/2020 at 8:23 AM

Did it have a city where he posted it from, or just "Canada"?

7/31/2020 at 10:16 AM

I think the Aaro went from Trondheim to Hull and after that he must have boarded another ship towards Canada. His card was just from Canada. Don't know the city and don't know where his ship docked once reaching Canada.

Private User
7/31/2020 at 10:43 AM

The Aaro did a voyage in 1910 from Trondeim to Bergen to Hull.
Hull Quebec would have been where the ship docked. From there most passengers then travelled by train to other parts of Canada or crossed the border into the United States.

7/31/2020 at 10:55 AM

It looks like the Aaro went to Hull England, according to the Wilson manifest, it did not dock in Canada. He must have come across on another ship. The Aaro continued to Boston that year. I did find an Olsen Olof on the 1911 Canadian Census in Saskatchewan, but he was the only Olof registered on the Census that year.

7/31/2020 at 11:06 AM

Thank you for this. I’ll keep looking. It’s like he vanished into thin air.

Private User
7/31/2020 at 11:07 AM

Now I see the ship possibly landed in England at a place called Hull. If so, he would have then voyaged to Canada on another ship. There is a Paul Lindgren listed as arriving in Halifax Canada on January 29 1910 on a ship named The Corsican that set off from Liverpool England. His destination was Montreal And is listed as a carpenter age approx 21. Info from All Canadian Passenger Lists 1865-1935. It says his birthplace was Norway,Scandinavia but that could be an error made by the person taking the info.

Private User
7/31/2020 at 12:33 PM

@ Nina Elisabeth Ourama Hi Nina Do you have an email. I found family, emigrated from Sweden to Norway and then to USA with whole family when Paul is 1 year old.
Found his birth record, immigration etc. He travelled under name of Paul Johansson.
Linda Kositsin

Private User
7/31/2020 at 12:34 PM

@ Nina Elisabeth Ourama
I have copies of the records I found from Ancestory.com
Linda

7/31/2020 at 12:58 PM

Do you know what region he could’ve went to?

7/31/2020 at 2:41 PM

Norway was in personal union with Sweden From 1814 to 1905. So during the period covered by his birth and immigration, it’s possible documents would state either Norway or Sweden. Of course, errors occurred in names and other information when immigrants who didn’t speak English arrived in North America. I can imagine someone from any Scandinavian country being recorded as whatever the immigration officer guessed was his his country of origin.

You might also have a thorough look at the postcard to see if any information can be deduced. Even if the postmark only says Canada, perhaps there is an exact date or a post office number. If there is a picture on the postcard, it might provide a clue to its origin.

8/1/2020 at 7:03 AM

Hi,

Per Sweden, Indexed birth Records, 1859 - 1947, the person born on 21 Feb 1888 in Nossemark, Avsborge, Sverige is Paul Olof Lundgren . His parents: Johannes Lundgren; Josefeina Johannesdotter. So did Paul go by Lundgren or Lindgren? He could have used Lindgren instead of Lundgren. Changing names was common for immigrants.

I've had no luck finding a 1910 Canadian Passenger list in the name of Paul Lundgren, but there is one in the name of Paul Lindgren born in 1888. It states: Paul Lindgren, age: 21. Born in Norway. Occupation: carpenter. Ship: Corsican. Departed Liverpool, England 21 Jan 1910. Landed Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada 29 Jan 1910. Destination: Montreal, Quebec, Canada. This may be the person you are looking for although he says he was born in Norway as Norway ans Sweden were in a personal union at the time of his birth.

The ship, Aaro, is probably a Norwegian or Swedish ship, not Canadian or American.

Of note is that European immigrants first sailed to England / the UK then to North America. Check out the UK Incoming and UK Outward Passenger Lists.

Unfortunately, I didn't find anything else.

Hope this info helps.

Diane Fruttarol
Surrey, BC, Canada

8/1/2020 at 11:00 AM

This is what I found out about the Aaro. In 1906 the Wilson Line formed a separate company with the North Eastern Railway Company to integrate some of their rail and steamship services. This new company, the Wilson and North Eastern Railway and Shipping Company, made even greater profits by shipping and then transporting by rail the thousands of emigrants they brought to the UK each year. The new joint company limited the numbers who travelled via any other shipping or railway company and ensured a degree of continuity in the journey from steamship to quayside not seen at any other UK port of entry. Although it was the Allan, Cunard, Dominion or White Star Lines who sold tickets throughout rural and urban Scandinavia to would-be migrants for travel to America, it was Wilson ships which brought almost all the migrants to the UK - thus generating huge profits for their owners. The Wilson Line was at the time the largest privately owned shipping line in the world and its size accounts for the dominant role it held over the migration of thousands of Scandinavian emigrants between 1843 and 1914.

Private User
8/1/2020 at 11:31 AM

Birth record Ancestory

Name:Paul Olof
[Paul Olof Lundgren]
[Paul Olof Johannesson] Birth Date:21 feb 1888 Birth Place:Nössemark, Älvsborg (Västra Götaland), Sverige (Sweden) Father:Johannes Lundgren Mother:Josefina Johannesdotter
Page Number:0/0Volume:929

Private User
8/1/2020 at 11:32 AM

Paul Olof Johannesson family immigrated from Sweden to Norway
in the Sweden, Emigrants Registered in Church Books, 1783-1991
Text-only collection
Name: Paul Olof Johannesson
Birth Date: 21 feb 1888
Birth Place: Nössemark, Älvsborg (Västra Götaland)
Departure Date: 7 dec 1891 only 2.5 years old
Departure Place: Nössemark, Älvsborg (Västra Götaland)
Arrival Place: ID, Norge (Norway)
Occupation or Relation: Son
Marital status: Unmarried (Single)
Notes: Travels with family
Page: 52
Original Page: 257
Source: Nössemark Hfl 1891-1895
Household Members: Name
Johannes Gustafsson Lindgren

Josefina Johannesdotter

Frans Konrad Johannesson

Paul Olof Johannesson

Selma Hildina Johannesdotter

Jenny Gurine Cecilia Johannesdotter

https://search.ancestrylibrary.ca/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&dbid=...

Private User
8/1/2020 at 11:33 AM

Paul Olof Lundgren Birth Record
in the Sweden, Indexed Birth Records, 1859-1947
View
Name: Paul Olof
[Paul Olof Lundgren]
[Paul Olof Johannesson] ***see his 3rd name – that name used in his immigration ****
Birth Date: 21 feb 1888
Birth Place: Nössemark, Älvsborg (Västra Götaland), Sverige (Sweden)
Father: Johannes Lundgren

Mother: Josefina Johannesdotter

Page Number: 0/0
Volume: 929
https://search.ancestrylibrary.ca/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&dbid=...

Private User
8/1/2020 at 11:34 AM

Paul Johanneson
in the New York, Passenger and Crew Lists (including Castle Garden and Ellis Island), 1820-1957
See Line 221
Name: Paul Johanneson
Arrival Date: 17 Jun 1889
Birth Date: abt 1888
Place of Origin: Lvalof
Port of Departure: Christiania, Norway and Kristiansand, Norway and Copenhagen, Denmark
Destination: USA
Port of Arrival: New York, New York, USA
Ship Name: Thingvalla
Search Ship Database: Search for the “Thingvalla “ in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database

When you open the image on Ancestory the whole family is listed

8/1/2020 at 4:23 PM

Iron Range Research Center

SEARCH RECORDS
ABOUT
CONTACT
VIEW CART
Naturalization Record
FIRST NAME: PAUL O.
LAST NAME: LINDGREN
COUNTY: CARLTON
STATE: MINNESOTA
CODE: 3
REEL: 2
VOLUME: C
PAGE: 66

Naturalization Record

FIRST NAME: PAUL O.
LAST NAME: LINDGREN
COUNTY: CARLTON
STATE: MINNESOTA

CODE: 3
REEL: 2
VOLUME: C
PAGE: 66

I found this entry from the US. Is it possible that he went south of the border. You needed to pay to view the actualy information above, but it might get you going in the right direction. I will check for more info.

8/1/2020 at 4:29 PM

I don't know where you live. In Victoria, BC the public libraries have free access to Ancestry.com. Also The Church of Latter Day Saints and/or the Mormon church are more than happy to assist you in your search. They usually have a lot of resources available, even in smaller communities. Good luck.

8/2/2020 at 5:46 AM

Thank you all for your kind answers and all the effort to find my distant relative Paul Olof. I live in Finland so I cannot access all records as they are not available as I'm not a 'local' in Canada. I know it has been very common to, when immigrating, to have/get misspelled names. That is many times why trails end after a certain point and sometimes even birth dates can be recorded differently and that makes it even harder.
I have a couple relatives that emigrated to US and I haven't been able to find these either. But then again it's great that there are people out there willing to help. So if you have Finnish ancestors I'm more than willing to help in tracking them down. I have an account on both Geni and MyHeritage.

8/2/2020 at 9:13 AM

Have you tried looking in this site https://www.familysearch.org/tree/find/name

8/2/2020 at 4:54 PM

Nina

You might find this site interesting.
http://www.norwayheritage.com/canadian-passenger-records.htm

Some emigrants came through at Montreal Quebec, Halifax Nova Scotia, Saint John New Brunswick.

Many travelled by train further into Western Canada from Montreal using the railroad.
If you find he did get off in Nova Scotia or New Brunswick I live in Saint John New Brunswick Canada. Maybe I could look further for you.

Private User
8/3/2020 at 5:06 AM

Does this thread relate in any way to "Hunter" genealogy as that is how I came to receive it. I've traced my Hunter ancestors back to the north of England way back when and believe they originated from the Vikings...so am interested in any posts about Scandinavia and wonder if any of you have made the connection between the Hunters of Northern England (or even Southern Scotland) and the Vikings. Sorry to interject here...good luck to all for finding the ancestors they are looking for. Carol Hunter (Canada)

8/4/2020 at 2:15 AM

I personally have no idea if I have any Viking blood in me, even if I have ancestors in Scandinavia. Finland is not part of Scandinavia the Nordic Countries yes. Finland was a part (or at least parts of Finland)Sweden for about 600yrs.
I have no connection to the north of England as far as I know. I'm just trying to track down a distant relative that vanished around 1910 in either Canada or US.

8/4/2020 at 10:38 PM

Nina Elisabeth Ourama
Have you tried the Canadian museum of immigration ? At pier21.ca you can request information online from them and they have access to a lot of information. Their staff can pull up a lot with very little info. I got a fair bit of info on my great grandmother with only a year of birth, a partial name and country of origin. Also if you take the info you have or even info that may be correct and put it into your family tree on my heritage and allow it to compare to other trees etc that may also help. Good luck.

8/5/2020 at 5:55 AM

Thank you for the tip Angela, I'll try that. I've tried and searched all kinds of records and archives but will keep looking.

Showing 1-30 of 32 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion