The Children of John Chilcott & Joane Balch

Started by Duncan Hodder on Wednesday, August 5, 2020
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 2 posts
8/5/2020 at 5:53 PM

Lord John Chilcoat

Have been reviewing the family members of John & Joan.
Ann Chilcott (previously added by me) was deleted - birth date shown was 1699!
James Chilcott was deleted - no reference to James can be found

Baptismal citations have been uploaded for the remaining children:
* George - 1635;
* William - 1638;
* John - 1639; note that his baptismal citation gives his surname as 'Chilcott', not Chilcote or other similarities
* Richard - 1641;
* Joane - 1642

In looking for these citations, there are several others of interest but which I have not actioned:

* John Chilcott was baptised in St Mary Stogumber to John Chilcott.
If part of this family, I would expect that this John would have died before 1639 when the next John Chilcott was born (see above), but cannot find a death record. Could simply mean that the child died very early and was not recorded?

* A George Chilcott was buried In St Mary's graveyard 3 Nov. 1637. To be part of the family, this presupposes that George (b:1635) died before then, but again, no records. One cannot assume this George was born around 1637 as there would be a pre-existing George (b:1635) in the family. Again, is it likely that the George (b:1635) died prior to 1637 but the death was also unrecorded.

I've looked at the Parish records for 'leads' but to no avail

Presently one can only conclude that John & George belong to a different Chilcott family

8/5/2020 at 8:20 PM

UPDATE

A citation sourced for the birth of George Chilcott in 1640 suggests that John & Joan had two sons of the same name.

The George presently on record and shown as b:1635 was in fact born 1640; the citation has been uploaded to his record. The other citations related to marriages etc are OK.

The earlier George Chilcott was born 1635 and buried at St Mary, Stogumber, 1637, as detailed previously citations for both events have also been uploaded

Showing all 2 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion