What can Czech scholars tell us about our family history; a multi-layer review

Started by Tony Hausner on Tuesday, August 18, 2020
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Showing all 5 posts
8/18/2020 at 12:32 PM

Here is an excellent paper by Julius Muller. http://toledot.org/Czechscholars.pdf

Private User
8/18/2020 at 12:38 PM

I am just responding to be part of the discussion. Despite knowing for a few years now that one of my family lines (SILBERSTEIN) comes from Kojetin in Moravia (left for Silesia ca.1783), I have not learned much about the Jewish history of the region. Thank you for the link to that article.

8/18/2020 at 3:00 PM

Julius' piece is very valuable. I'll add one useful work if you are trying to understand population dynamics. Jana Vobecka, Demographic Avant-Garde: Jews in Bohemia between the Enlightenment and Shoah. Gives you the best current appraisal of how the Jewish population in Bohemia evolved (even before the Enlightenment). Available on Amazon for $29. -- Side note: Vobecka's book is wonderful and readable and builds on all the important work prior. I think we (the genealogical community) are finding data that suggests further evolution of thinking about population may be required.

8/19/2020 at 3:35 AM

Craig, I have a couple of questions for you about Vobecka's book. Please contact me at thausner@gmail.com

8/20/2020 at 5:59 PM

Thanks for posting Tony.

Showing all 5 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion