William Murray, of Swatara - Origins

Started by Erica Howton on Wednesday, October 14, 2020
Showing all 2 posts
10/14/2020 at 9:14 PM

Ken Isbell Writes

Ken Isbell
Today at 10:10 PM
This is the first time I've written since 2008. My name is Ken Isbell. My mother was Margaret Murray and it is her line that I've been researching now for the last 20 years; this includes a 15 year extensive data base (family tree). I realize that genealogical research tends to be very divisive, as one would interpret religious writings...many are happy that they think they have found their connection with their family roots...what many don't know is that there is much misinformation. In the case of William Murray and Isabella Lindley, there are mountains of misinformation and misplaced interpretations of what is supposed to be the truth. I CAN say this...aside from the 19th Century research of Dr. William Henry Egle, there is NO evidence for their existence. There are no land records, deeds, family Wills (legal last rights and testaments), church records, nothing from either the Murray or Lindley families, or Quaker church records (and they are VERY thorough). Also, you need to take into account any DNA information, for which I have on my Murray family branch. Some of this information is private and not open to scrutiny. So, it's not entirely your fault here. But there are also references going back to Scottish nobility which are NOT legitimate. Basically, certain dedicated genealogical claims require PROOF of the claims they make. I don't see it here. However, I don't completely dismiss Dr. Egle; he undertook some legitimate research, which includes identifying local colonial Pennsylvania history and Revolutionary War units...However, his Murray family research is seriously flawed and inaccurate. And the whole Murray research world unfortunately took note...I can make whatever recommendations. And anyone can accept or dismiss them. But I am attempting to create research consensus. I mean, one can say they "believe" in the Loch Ness Monster, Bigfoot, ESP or UFOs. But we have seen nothing definitive that proves beyond any reasonable doubt that any of this shit is true and that it has gained universal acceptance. Dr. Egle's Murray research took on many forms and constant changes. I say this: show me ANY credible evidence OTHER than Dr. Egle's Murray research and I'll gladly examine it. So far, nobody has stepped forward. But no matter what reference you site, the question is how serious should we take any genealogical claims? One has to be careful. So, I welcome any discussion or feedback. A forum would really help. Well..awaiting your reply. I interested, contact me

Thanks for your time and consideration. Ken Isbell

William Murray, of Swatara

5/23/2021 at 11:42 AM

I've been searching William A Murray and Eliza McEnteer background. They left PA and settled in Ashland County, OH. While doing this research online I came across a Patrick Murray who was a very famous hero of Revolutionary war. I found him in "History of Ashland County, Ohio" and biographies on Internet Archive. Since their movement is the same, I am wondering if they are part of the same family. My William Murray was a pastor, who begat my great-grandmother Susan A Murray.
Pennsylvania genealogies; chiefly Scotch-Irish and German : Egle, William Henry, 1830-1901 : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive
I mention this because they also talk of Murray in Swatara there.

Showing all 2 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion