Eliyahu, "Gaon of Vilna" - Paper published by Maciamo Hay re: HaGRA's Y DNA Haplogroup??

Started by Ezra Zalman MAGID on Thursday, November 12, 2020
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 6 posts
11/12/2020 at 12:17 PM

B"H
Shalom,
Maciamo Hay has published a paper stating that HaGRA's Y haplogroup is Q-M242.
Does anybody have a Y test for any paternal relative of HaGRA?
Ezra

Private User
11/12/2020 at 12:39 PM

Dear Ezra,

Looking at your tree it appears that someone has given your patriline the identification of: Haplogroup Q-M242 / Q-Y2754 Y-DNA (in the about section of your father's profile and in the pedigree up to Moshe (Movsha) Magid). Do you know how this Q-M242 identification came to be associated to your pedigree?

From the GENI tree it appears that Moshe Magid is the patriline great grand nephew of HaGRA. If all of this is correct and verifiable then it seems that indeed HaGRA is a Q-M242. Can you please cite the Maciamo Hay paper?

If this above holds true than you yourself may be a patriline relation of HaGRA. Have you done your yDNA testing?

Cordially and Appreciatively,
Adam

Private User
11/12/2020 at 3:03 PM

PS: I have found the article on Eupedia by Maciamo Hay where the identification of haplogroup Q is given. There is no source information there and I would say based on my knowledge of that site that the designation of Q should be taken with caution and subjected to further verification.

Geoffrey Sea
11/19/2021 at 7:43 PM

At least four different haplogroups have been claimed for the Vilna Gaon. Only one more and we can conclude that he was a definite descendant of King David, who certainly had at least five Y chromosomes.

12/30/2021 at 8:09 AM

From old research and family oral history, I know for sure and am referenced in Chiam Friedman’s book I am the 8th great granddaughter of the Vilna Gaon. I have over 25 years, gone way back in threads and know I am also a very distant great grandfather who was Davidian . I have more information that dates back to the first judge and other very interesting stuff.

1/12/2022 at 6:34 PM

B"H, Yes, My Y haplogroup is Q-M242.

Showing all 6 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion