Can't edit a profile I entered

Started by Abraham Avi Kenaani on Wednesday, November 18, 2020
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Showing all 10 posts
11/18/2020 at 1:47 PM

I have few profile that I entered long time ago and for some reason unknown to me I can not edit them now. What I can do to solve the issue?

Thank you,
Abraham Kenaani

Private User
11/18/2020 at 2:12 PM

Example?
If it is a claimed/user profile, i.e. someone who have joined Geni you does not have edit access anymore.

11/22/2020 at 10:09 AM

Thank you,
What do you mean by 'Claimed/User profile', claimed by who and how I can solve it?

11/26/2020 at 8:37 AM

A claimed/user profile is where you have entered their email address and they joined Geni.

Private User
11/26/2020 at 8:54 AM

Or could be someone else entered the email address, or profile was merged with one that was a Geni-user.
In any case, once a Geni-user sets their own password, then the default is they are the only one who can edit that profile.

If you would really like any third cousin once removed or spouse of fourth cousin or etc. to be able to edit your profile, I think there is a setting in your account to allow family to edit your profile that you can click. But not likely most people will do that.

Two easy ways to tell if a person is a Geni- user:
In profile view, a Geni-user has an Activity Tab
In Tree View, a Geni-user has a blie border around profile picture area.

11/28/2020 at 10:19 AM

Thank you all,
So the best way to avoid the situation in the future is removing the email address from all the family members.

Private User
11/28/2020 at 10:59 AM

Abraham Avi Kenaani - Geni is designed to be a collaborative site. If you hate the idea of others joining and controlling their own profile, you probably want to be putting most of your time and effort elsewhere. There are lots of sites that let you be in control of what you add. Geni is not one of them.
As for removing the email from the family members - once they have joined Geni (probably by accepting the invite which resulted from the email being entered) then I do not think it is possible to do that.

11/28/2020 at 4:30 PM

Thank you,
I didn't understand why I could not edit a profile that I enter, but now I understand.
What happen if someone changed his email address how you can change it to the new one!

Thanks,

Private User
11/28/2020 at 5:27 PM

1) They have joined Geni and know the email and password they used -- then they log in using that email and password -- it makes no difference whether they can access the email or not, just enter in the log-in field. Then if they want to change the email associated with their account they go to their account settings and add another email, then they should be able to delete the first one,

2) They have joined Geni, or at least Geni thinks they have - they know the email, can still access it but do not want to or soon will not be able to, and have no idea what the password is -- they enter the email, use the Forgot Password function, go to that email and read the message from Geni. Use that info to access Geni and then change email as per 1)

3) If enough messages to them have bounced, then Geni will put a message on their profile saying messages cannot get thru and asking for an additional email.

4) If their is no Activity Tab, then Geni knows they have not joined and it is possible you can just edit that field.

11/30/2020 at 12:21 PM

Thank you,

Showing all 10 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion