Started by N. Watson on Tuesday, February 9, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 5 posts
2/9/2021 at 9:11 AM

The Met Fifth Avenue, New York - Box 1640–80, Attributed to William Buell

On view at The Met Fifth Avenue in Gallery 708 Pictured at: https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/940

The attribution of this box to William Buell is based on its similarity to a box in the Oneida, New York, Historical Society, which descended in Buell's family and was presumably made by him. Both boxes (and a third box at Yale University) are characterized by the geometric quality of their carved rosettes; the intertwined band, or guilloche, surrounding the rosettes; the notched edges; and punched decoration. Buell was born in Chesterton, County Huntington, England, and settled at Dorchester, Massachusetts in 1630. He moved to Windsor, Connecticut sometime between 1635 and 1639.

2/10/2021 at 11:20 AM

I just read about the box. Isn't it magnificent!

2/10/2021 at 4:51 PM

The falsehood continues William Buell was not from Chesterton WILLIAM BEVILLE died in 1637 and is buried there with his parents. William Buell came to Connecticut and died in 1681 in England. He did not run from the CHURCH and hide by changing his name and leaving it money to pay it and finishing the family Monument. "700 yrs of the Beville
Family" Author Assalia Lickliter Find on Line. No parents or place of birth known for Buell or Buel Two biographys both Hacks about Buel and his ancestry. Welles may have been correct about American ancestry but not English connection.
On the other side. Neither parent were on the likable side Cathrene. Not the first but the second one was arguable always put her son above her Robert in arguments. And he believed the property was all his. She could not sell even the smallest thing. His Will
gave her 10 shillings because of the fights.
The only Beville to come here, Went to Virginia. Named Essev A Cousin. I am not connected to the book So please buy it or borrow it from a library. I did after I read all the articles and put it in my tree and dropped it out too late.

2/11/2021 at 1:35 AM

@ William Beville At the time in 1637 he was a Barrister at Grey's inn Law Courts in London. When he died. Not in 1681

7/14/2021 at 2:14 PM

Thank you.

Showing all 5 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion