David Stewart - Firm Documentation

Started by William Willard Brewer, Jr on Wednesday, March 3, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 10 posts

Does anyone have actual written documentation concerning David Stewart, and or his wife Barbara Staley? All I seem to see as "sources" are other family trees; I see no proof of birth, marriage, or death. I have searched Ancestry.com, Family Search, and My Heritage. When the pandemic is over I hope to search the Family History Library for Allegheny County, PA deed records, and also Rowan County, North Carolina, but if someone has already done that, I would like to know.

Hi Bill, sorry I have been away from the computer for two days going all the way to Atlanta for special dental work and also seeing my ENT Doctor regarding my messed up ears. So it is time to catch up, but will have to be done in the morning. Just some preliminary thoughts can be mentioned: Allegheny County has been easy for getting information especially from the various websites of the Pine Creek Presbyterian Church between Etna and Sharpsburg and the records of the two earliest cemeteries they owned back then. The General Wilkins history is the primary record of the existence of David Stewart Sr and his coming to Allegheny County, PA after the Revolutionary War and having children there. Enormous numbers of Revolutionary War veterans were granted lands in and around the counties near Pittsburgh. The War uprooted many to go West. David's Stewart family had retained their eastern Pennsylvanian connections to the families of their grandmother Margaret Stewart and Gt. Uncle George Stewart plus all the grandchildren of the Stewart brothers of Hanover Township who did not leave E. Pennsylvania until after the War. So Allegheny is well known now, but Rowan County, NC is always a challenge before the War So many colonial families passed through there during that period as we know from the Brewer family we share. Research in Rowan for the Stewarts is still left to be done. We would appreciate anybody who would help us with personal research there and through other keepers of sources like the Family History Libraries..It is so nice to hear that somebody else is noticing what we have been doing with this Stewart family research. Thanks, Bill.

I will try once more to locate the documentation needed. Two years ago when I did all this, I was still using Windows 10/IE browser and that was not compatible with doing easy "linking." One or two Geni curators tried to advise me how to link and use the @ to link to Geni profiles, but this has not become easier and doable until recently I switched to Microsoft Edge. So now I need to go back to the sources and link the urls. That will take awhile but it will get done soon. Thanks.

Okay, I have located the URLS and FamilySearch.com access (Free) and pasted them on to the profile overviews for Sarah and then for her father David and then for his father, Peter. I also located the information for General Wilkins and the history of how he developed the Etna area and how it was named Etna in 1868 because of their main industry, the Iron furnaces burning like Mt. Etna. The profiles all show the lineage from Robert to Lazarus to Peter and brothers and sisters, then to David, and then to Sarah and her most known brothers, David Jr. and John. Linking works much better now.

testing David Stewart

@ is still a challenge as seen above. Even with all the URLS given now on the profiles, still Rowan County and Salisbury, NC would need to be searched to see if anything like a birth of David or marriage of Peter can be found. I think the death of Peter in 1784 in Rowan, NC is well documented elsewhere because it was used to have quotes which verified other issues in the family tree history. I have seen those quotes often, but never copied and pasted them. Sorry about that.

Also the removal of the several sons of Lazarus together to Rowan, NC is documented but not having the URLs copied and pasted yet. I just documented the locations in writing on the Overviews.

Today I did all the census work from 1790-1820 so that it includes the documentation for the life of David and Barbara in PA after the War and their marriage in 1788. Surprise, that 1811 date for David's first property purchase in Sharpsburg was his first one there. He then did not arrive there until 1811 and instead appeared in Fayette township, Allegheny in the 1810 census, but was only there for a short while. In 1800 and 1790 he and Barbara were in Washington Co. Robinson TWP where several of his cousins also lived after the War. He did get back with the Paxtang Settlement Stewart gang after the War. In 1811 he decided to take advantage of General Wilkins' offer of property in the Allegheny River Valley booming industrial development which turned into Pittsburgh and huge iron and steel mills eventually in Etna/Sharpsburg. I have posted all this on the Overview for David and Media showing the census records of all the above.

Should have written that the 1811 land purchase for David Stewart in Indiana twp, PA was the first record of him being in Etna/Sharpsburg. The second record as found so far would be the 1820 census.

thanks, Allen....that certainly helps, and I apprecciate your h

Thanks, Allen. That certainly helps, and I appreciate your help.

Showing all 10 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion