Don Stephenson - John Stevenson (1656-1727 Isle of Wight, Colonial Virginia America) Family origins.

Started by Donald Gray Stephenson on Monday, March 22, 2021
3/22/2021 at 9:30 AM

I have researched this topic for over twenty years. I am genetically and paper trail proven direct descendant of John Stevenson however all I know of his family origins is that his father (John Stevenson) emigrated to colonial America sometimes in the 1640-50's).

Ancestry.com has an error that my family's origins are Scottish but the many people who rely on that are unable to show any records of corroboration or certificates. It appears to have been a large cut and paste effort to fill in the blanks. Moreover that falsehood has been perpetuated across Geni and Wikitree simply through name association with John Stevenson.

I want to "confirm" my family origins beyond simply the UK but to a specific country therein (Scotland, England, Wales, Ireland) but a lack of records on both sides of the pond has limited my search, including those searches by genealogists I have employed.

At this point I am relying on genetic testing in hopes of finding matches who may have a handle on the family origins. My haplogroup is l1-M253-BY13528 which appears in early proto-Germanic tribes (Goths) that originated from present day southern Sweden. Apparently my ancient ancestors migrated into early Britton as Angels, Saxons, Danes or possibly Normans and seem to have settled in ancient Northumbria (now northmost England) and the Scottish border. Thereafter they migrated to America.

Any support, advice or references would be appreciated as well as connections into my family tree by other Stevenson/ Stephenson lines.

Thank you

Don Stephenson

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion