Eticho I, count in Ammergau - Well, that's weird...

Started by Jerry Paul on Thursday, March 25, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 4 posts
3/25/2021 at 9:46 AM

According to this, Eticho I von Ammergau, Graf im Ammergau, is my 36th ggf, but his father, is listed as my 34th great uncle.
Conrad II, "The Younger", is my 34th ggf, who is the brother of Eticho's father.
Another brother of Welf II, is Robert I, King of France. He is my 33rd ggf.
I'm obviously missing something in regards to how my 34th uncle ended up as my 36th ggf's father. (?) Is that an inaccuracy, the result of an incestuous relationship, or is it just a matter of the shortest path to me through this line, being that he is my uncle, rather than my great grandfather. (which, may still be the case. (?) )

3/25/2021 at 2:01 PM

Geni shows the closest relationship.

Your 37th ggf can be your 34th great uncle if one (or more) of his siblings is also your ancestor, or has married one of your ancestors.

Geni defaults to the 34th great uncle path because it is several generations closer to you.

When you go back that far, there can be a substantial difference in the number of generations between ancestral siblings.

I have encountered this situation a number of times when two or more siblings are my ancestors.

A single ancestor can also have multiple relationships to you. I have an ancestor who is (at a minimum) my 31st, 33rd, 33rd, 35th, 35th, 35th, and 37th ggf, through different paths. At least three of his children are my ancestors. How many relationships can I list for them?

3/25/2021 at 2:11 PM

As it turns out, Eticho I is my 29th ggf. His father Welf II is my 30th ggf. Several of Welf’s siblings are my ancestors, also. (I didn’t check them all.) Jerry, you and I are cousins through so many connections that we could go crazy trying to find them all!

3/25/2021 at 3:01 PM

Thank you so much, Joseph.
That's pretty much what I thought, but I guess I needed to have that affirmed for me.
So many connections! I find it all so very fascinating.
Nice to have made contact with you, cousin.
Cheers, from Saskatchewan, Canada!

Showing all 4 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion