Emma Audley / de Aldithley (FitzOrm) - Surname difference(s)

Started by Private User on Monday, June 14, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

• Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni Pro

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 3 posts
Private User
6/14/2021 at 6:28 AM

Of the surname spellings names above,
I'm wondering if Deaudley is purposefully written differently than d'Audley or de Audley.

Private User
6/14/2021 at 1:22 PM

Names are spelled rather carelessly (usually by clerks) even in modern times, perhaps more so in those days. And spelling of names is further complicated by the kind of politics that comes along with the merging (whether forced or voluntary) of vastly different cultures accustomed to speaking and writing their native tongues.

Very modern manuscripts (late 19th century and onward) are often sloppy and many are nearly illegible, making them hard to read and transcribe.

But on the other hand, deciphering extremely ancient manuscripts, although often written in much neater hand, is complicated by the fairly drastic evolution of language. Most of us are unfamiliar with Old French, Middle English, Latin dialects, etc., all of which influenced grammar and spelling in early records.

And all are subjected to material deterioration or even loss (with the possibility of dicey subsequent forensic reconstruction).

So with all that in mind, "Deauldley" doesn't seem very unusual to me. I do wonder though, how this name was actually pronounced. And if it is at all related to "Dudley".

Private User
6/16/2021 at 10:20 PM

Thank you for the background!

Showing all 3 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion