Started by Jenny Calder (born Buys) on Friday, June 25, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

• Private
    Geni member
Showing all 26 posts
6/25/2021 at 11:39 PM

Hi, does the facebook page still exist? I tried to access it via the link at the top of the page but it say the page doesn't exist. It could also be a broken link, which is why I'm checking.

Private User
6/26/2021 at 1:47 AM

Facebook wastebook

On my side I can still see this profile, obviously because living people stay private it is difficult to see names in the tree I only see Jenny Calder born buys then all names in it show private.

Annetjie

Private User
6/26/2021 at 1:56 AM

Are you refering to the 1820 settlers association ?

6/26/2021 at 2:19 AM

Hi Anna Susanna (Annetjie) Walbrugh (Coetzee), no I'm not referring to my profile, I'm referring to the Geni Welcome Cuzzins page. At the top they ask you to like their facebook page via the link. What I'm saying is that either that page doesn't exist or the link is broken. I often use facebook because the genealogical sites have good discussions there.

6/26/2021 at 2:20 AM

Maybe it got Zucked, are there moderators there to stop HHHHHUUUUURATE SPEECH?

6/26/2021 at 2:20 AM

Hi Private User, no it was on the Welcome Cuzzins project page that I was on, and at the top was a link to like the page, which I wanted to do. It either doesn't exist or the link is broken.

6/26/2021 at 2:22 AM

Hi Private User, the discussions on facebook pertaining to these sites are normally quite informative. Hence my reason for trying to link to it.

6/26/2021 at 2:26 AM

Hi Werhner Wangra, yeah, I believe a lot has changed which is making a lot of admins and page/group owners re-think and instead of jumping through hoops they're making their pages and groups private. I hope that one is sorted out soon. But yes every page or group has moderators and I've not to date seen hate speech on a facebook genealogy page. But I also don't spend a lot of time on them, I get what I'm looking for, see what's interesting and hightail it out of there.

Private User
6/26/2021 at 2:34 AM

Ek kan nog al my familie sien en myne is nie privaat nie. Wat is die nut as jy nie mekaar kan help nie.

6/26/2021 at 2:35 AM

I cannot find anything

Private User
6/26/2021 at 2:37 AM

Private

Private User
6/26/2021 at 2:51 AM

FACEBOOK dictatorial prescriptive biased and self serving !
Ban everyone that disagree with their view !
Biased views as FB promotes are not informative .
I advise against joining or being on FACEBOOK .....

6/26/2021 at 8:49 AM

Look up the relatives of the "private". Keep this on messenger. Private.
I have obtained lots of info.

6/27/2021 at 4:27 PM

Perhaps I didn't word it well. What I meant and still mean is if you go to the Welcome CUZZINS project after logging into Geni, and you scroll down a little, in the middle of the page it says: Facebook page for SA Geni Users. If you click on that link you go to facebook but you get a message that says: This content isn't available right now.

So my question is: dId the facebook page ever exist or did it close?

and: if the page did or does exist then is the link broken? (Some IT people need to know when links are broken).

lastly: is there any other reason I cannot reach this link when I click it. (I do have access to my own page but we're not talking about me, it's about the Welcome CUZZINS page on Geni.

6/28/2021 at 1:01 AM

Jenny Calder, I also just get "Not Available". I thnk it used to exist as I was told to ask my questions by joining the group, but have never been able to connect to it. I just gave up trying to find it.

7/5/2021 at 12:22 AM

Jenny Calder (born Buys) and others: Sorry, guys - I missed this. If the link is not getting you there then I think it's because we had a new user instigate that we changed the group to private (and once you've done that, you can't change it back) I've tried to change settings as far as I'm able to make it more visible. Let me know if you can see it now: https://www.facebook.com/groups/243811932355680

7/5/2021 at 2:28 AM

Thank you Sharon Doubell. The link that you posted above works and I have successfully joined the FB Group. Thank you for accepting my request to join.

7/5/2021 at 6:04 AM

:-)

7/5/2021 at 6:05 AM

Sorry for not realizing it had become impossible to see it :-)

7/5/2021 at 11:53 PM

Sharon Doubell thank you! Problem sorted out, the group is now visible and I've submitted a join request.

7/6/2021 at 1:03 AM

:-)

7/16/2021 at 5:11 PM

Sorry Jenny, I do not have Facebook register so can’t respond. Have a great day, greetings from Brian Andrews.

7/19/2021 at 3:25 AM

Guys, just an alert that I'm going to revert that fb page to invisible to the public again. Monitoring the constant flow of applications to join from spammers is not something I have the time or patience for. It's at about ten a day.
(Unless there's someone here who wants to take over as admin?)

7/20/2021 at 4:56 AM

Sharon Doubell I am willing to assist you with vetting the fb applications to join if you like.

7/20/2021 at 6:00 AM

Lindsay - I need someone to do it all :-) If you're happy with that, then I am. I'll add you as admin.

Showing all 26 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion