Hengest, king of Kent - Any documented children?

Started by Harald Tveit Alvestrand on Saturday, June 26, 2021
Showing all 5 posts
6/26/2021 at 3:46 AM

Hengest, king of Kent has been afflicted with 4 children, 1 of whom is marked "Fictional".

His About Me and his WIkipeda page have no information about children.

Is there any reliable source for any children at all? If not, should they all be cut loose?

(A proposed merge brings in a 4th child. Also undocumented, as far as I can tell.)

6/26/2021 at 4:38 AM

Æsc is attested by Bede as being son of Hengest.

Rowena is mentioned by Geoffrey of Monmouth in the 12th century so probably factious

Ebusa mentioned in Historia Brittonum and in the Historia Regum Brittaniae

6/26/2021 at 4:56 AM

The Anglo Saxon Chronicle

A.D. 455. This year Hengest and Horsa fought with Wurtgern the king on the spot that is called Aylesford. His brother Horsa being there slain, Hengest afterwards took to the kingdom with his son Esc.
A.D. 457. This year Hengest and Esc fought with the Britons on the spot that is called Crayford, and there slew four thousand men. The Britons then forsook the land of Kent, and in great consternation fled to London.
A.D. 465. This year Hengest and Esc fought with the Welsh, nigh Wippedfleet; and there slew twelve leaders, all Welsh. On their side a thane was there slain, whose name was Wipped.
A.D. 473. This year Hengest and Esc fought with the Welsh, and took immense Booty. And the Welsh fled from the English like fire.

6/26/2021 at 11:55 AM

Hengest, King of Kent is my 46th great grandfather. His son, Hartwaker, King of Saxsons, is my 45th great grandfather.

6/27/2021 at 1:07 AM

Thanks - I listed the 3 chilren Jason mentioned on the profile. It's Hartwaker we're not finding sources on (someone apparently completed the merge).

Jason, since you know this set of sources better - do you want to take over curatorship?

Showing all 5 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion